Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to upgrade 2018 M3 for 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Along the same lines, I know there are some things I'm going to miss from my '18 M3 going to a 2022 (or 2023 depending?) MYP... Little things. I will miss how the motor makes a whirring sound when I go in and out of park. I always get smiles in the parking lot and shock from riders when they hear the "space noise." I noticed the new MYs don't do that. I will miss silently creeping through parking lots without the artificial noise. I will kind of miss the small amounts of electric/motor sounds when at heavy throttle that new MYs won't have. Maybe as the car wears in, I'll get all those back.

Were there any things from older Teslas that you missed when you upgraded? (except for free supercharging!)

I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure there's any benefit other than warranty.

2018 M3 with boost, wheel up grade 0-60 3.5 ( I think it said on the screen), 285 miles at 100%, 75,000 miles.

thinking about...

2022 M3 Performance, 0-60 3.1 (According to site) 315 miles, new

Only reasons I can think of is warranty, a bit more performance, CCS capability, new computer, new screen (mine is definitely smudged), and what... heated steering wheel? What am I missing? I love my car and I just don't think there is enough tech benefit to justify upgrade. On the flip side, car trade-ins especially EVs are crazy right now. This might be a good time to make a move. Perhaps my payments wouldn't even be that much higher. Thoughts?

I just upgraded from a 2018 M3P to a 2022 M3P. Long story as to why, but here are my thoughts:

2022 is quieter and smoother, with better isolation from road noise for sure.

2022 seems to have at least 10% and maybe as much as 15% more range.

2022 interior changes are subtle but nice (wood trim on the doors, nicer center console and cupholders, better floor mats)

Pirelli PZero ELECT tires seem quieter than the PS4S on the 2018, but may give up a smidgen of responsiveness as a tradeoff.

The black trim looks good IMO, though the chrome on the 2018 never bothered me.

The powered trunklid is nice - smoother than the aftermarket (TeslaOffer) I had installed on the 2018.

Bottom line: 2022 still a really nice car, still a riot to drive, subtly better in many ways.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure there's any benefit other than warranty.

2018 M3 with boost, wheel up grade 0-60 3.5 ( I think it said on the screen), 285 miles at 100%, 75,000 miles.

thinking about...

2022 M3 Performance, 0-60 3.1 (According to site) 315 miles, new

Only reasons I can think of is warranty, a bit more performance, CCS capability, new computer, new screen (mine is definitely smudged), and what... heated steering wheel? What am I missing? I love my car and I just don't think there is enough tech benefit to justify upgrade. On the flip side, car trade-ins especially EVs are crazy right now. This might be a good time to make a move. Perhaps my payments wouldn't even be that much higher. Thoughts?
Have not read any of the replies so sorry if im repeating things. But main upgrade points are the increased range, Heat Pump for efficiency, and road noise reduction.

• Funny
Reactions: DblOSmith and Zcd1
I wanted to upgrade from my 2018 LR Model 3, with acceleration boost and FSD. My main reason was for the increased range, heated steering wheel, power trunk, black trim, Lithium 12 volt battery, and the inner lower door panels have hard plastic instead of soft touch material (that easily nick), better fender cameras that don't glare night video, plus I could get a really good trade in price.

But then I thought about how much more expensive the new cars are now due to the many price increases, loss of the tax credit, no passenger lumbar bladder, Mobile Connector not included, long order times and $12k for FSD. Ultimately I would get less features and the end price would cost me way more.

So until Tesla makes significant improvements I'll be keeping my 2018 Model 3 for now, even though I am a bit worried that my warranty expires at the end of this year and while yearly routine maintenance cost less than an ICE, repairs can be way more expensive and almost impossible to do for the average person.

I forgot about the heat pump and faster chips. But no 2018 has a heat pump. And a faster computer doesn't justify the huge price increases Tesla keeps imposing. My 2018 actually cost less because I got the tax credit and State refunds (which were higher than they are now). And at the time I thought I was overpaying for my Model 3, turns out I got the better deal compared to today.

I thought hard about the 2022 before buying a 2020 yesterday. For the money savings, just didn't seem to make much sense for the few upgrades.

I do wish I had the power trunk and black trim though.
Back when I was looking last November, a 2020 was the same price as a 2022. There was no money savings so there was no reason not to buy new. Of course Tesla has raised prices since then so that may be a difference.

@Resist What does the price you paid years ago have to do with the question posed here?

What matters price-wise is how much you can sell your older Model 3 for now, vs cost of a new one. And in this era of new car shortages, every time Tesla raises the price of a new one, that puts upward pressure on the value of your used one.

Any one improvement from older Model 3 to current ones would be minor to me, but there have been a lot of such improvements. Would I be wanting to upgrade if used car values were historically typical? Probably not worth it to me, I'd wait for bigger changes. But with the used car prices these days? Yeah I'd probably do it, if the net cost is really that minimal!

Neither of our cars is in the right age/mileage/feature situation to make this play worthwhile though. One too old, the other too new.