Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to upgrade 2018 M3 for 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure there's any benefit other than warranty.

2018 M3 with boost, wheel up grade 0-60 3.5 ( I think it said on the screen), 285 miles at 100%, 75,000 miles.

thinking about...

2022 M3 Performance, 0-60 3.1 (According to site) 315 miles, new

Only reasons I can think of is warranty, a bit more performance, CCS capability, new computer, new screen (mine is definitely smudged), and what... heated steering wheel? What am I missing? I love my car and I just don't think there is enough tech benefit to justify upgrade. On the flip side, car trade-ins especially EVs are crazy right now. This might be a good time to make a move. Perhaps my payments wouldn't even be that much higher. Thoughts?

Reactions: Originalando
My son took delivery of his Model 3 Performance about two weeks ago, and the car is unbelievably fast, and I drive the Model Y Performance, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with "fast"...

That being said, not really sure there's enough added value to bother switching.

It seems like EV's aren't quite as affected by high milage as ICE cars (someone feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong about this).

The 2022's may be slightly quieter with dual glass in front, the black trim around the windows and black door handles look nicer then the older silver, but that's something you can change.

Adding 30 extra miles in range is pretty useless. For day to day driving, it won't matter. If you're going on a long drive, you'll either have to stop a little bit sooner, or it probably won't really matter. The likelihood that your trip will be over 285 miles, but under 315 miles, is pretty unlikely. That's the only scenario where you'd eliminate one charge session.

If you have access to Turo, rent a 2022 Model 3 for a day or two, really live with it, and then decide if the updates are worth the hassle of selling and then buying a new model.

Nice to hear that after nearly 5 years and 75,000 miles, you're debating between a Model 3 and a Model 3!

Guess you're pretty happy with your car!

My son took delivery of his Model 3 Performance about two weeks ago, and the car is unbelievably fast, and I drive the Model Y Performance, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with "fast"...

That being said, not really sure there's enough added value to bother switching.

It seems like EV's aren't quite as affected by high milage as ICE cars (someone feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong about this).

The 2022's may be slightly quieter with dual glass in front, the black trim around the windows and black door handles look nicer then the older silver, but that's something you can change.

Adding 30 extra miles in range is pretty useless. For day to day driving, it won't matter. If you're going on a long drive, you'll either have to stop a little bit sooner, or it probably won't really matter. The likelihood that your trip will be over 285 miles, but under 315 miles, is pretty unlikely. That's the only scenario where you'd eliminate one charge session.

If you have access to Turo, rent a 2022 Model 3 for a day or two, really live with it, and then decide if the updates are worth the hassle of selling and then buying a new model.

Nice to hear that after nearly 5 years and 75,000 miles, you're debating between a Model 3 and a Model 3!

Guess you're pretty happy with your car!
Thanks for the reply and good idea. I really love my car. I think it's fantastic. I think you're right that there's not enough tech bonus to warrant an upgrade. Honestly, the only thing I wish I could do is replace the steering with this, but I don't think they're making it anymore, and I wouldn't mind replacing the screen because it is smudged and a little blurry compared to my parent's 2022 MY screen which is crystal clear. Other than that, it's great. I can still get 250kw charging. 285 miles is still more than enough even when traveling. Yeah, I think I'll just hold on to it.

Looking at the flip side of the question, I don't know what would exist that would make me want upgrade. Just a lot of things that would be "neat." 450 miles would be "neat" but not necessary. Faster UI would be neat. Quieter would be neat. More efficiency would be neat. Faster would be absolutely unnecessary. CCS would be neat. Vehicle to grid would be neat. It'd all be neat, but none of it would be necessary or motivating to upgrade.

I've seen some selling their used Tesla's for more than what a new one would cost. If you can sell it for close to the price of new and wait the build time it would probably be worth it. The M3p is just ridiculous. Not only is it faster but it sports a tighter suspension so it handles much better too. Brakes are also better. I went from a 500+ bhp Subaru STI to the M3p. The Tesla is quicker and handles better than my STI did. Again, if you can sell at close to price of new and put little out-of-pocket into it and you can afford to wait for build time, personally I think it's a no-brainer. I've known others to sell their 2-3 year old Tesla just to turn around and buy a new one.

• Informative
Reactions: DblOSmith
Just to play devils advocate....

Put $250 deposit down on a new M3 Performance, have fun configuring it, then wait until it's close to delivery time. If my son's wait for his Model 3 Performance is any indication (he just got his two weeks ago), you'll have about 2 and a half months to give it some more thought.

At that time, you can see how much you can get for your 2018 M3, and decide if it's worth it to make the move.

You can probably get a good idea now of how much you can sell your current Model 3 for, and figure out if it's worth risking the $250 deposit. Plus, if Tesla happens to again raise their prices, you're already locked it.

You will be risking $250 however.

I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure there's any benefit other than warranty.

2018 M3 with boost, wheel up grade 0-60 3.5 ( I think it said on the screen), 285 miles at 100%, 75,000 miles.

thinking about...

2022 M3 Performance, 0-60 3.1 (According to site) 315 miles, new

Only reasons I can think of is warranty, a bit more performance, CCS capability, new computer, new screen (mine is definitely smudged), and what... heated steering wheel? What am I missing? I love my car and I just don't think there is enough tech benefit to justify upgrade. On the flip side, car trade-ins especially EVs are crazy right now. This might be a good time to make a move. Perhaps my payments wouldn't even be that much higher. Thoughts?

No, don't do it unless your trade in value is ridiculously high. if anything, swap yours out for a new long range with boost and save yourself $5000

Put $250 deposit down on a new M3 Performance, have fun configuring it, then wait until it's close to delivery time. If my son's wait for his Model 3 Performance is any indication (he just got his two weeks ago), you'll have about 2 and a half months to give it some more thought.

At that time, you can see how much you can get for your 2018 M3, and decide if it's worth it to make the move.

You can probably get a good idea now of how much you can sell your current Model 3 for, and figure out if it's worth risking the $250 deposit. Plus, if Tesla happens to again raise their prices, you're already locked it.

Somebody on this forum claimed that he successfully sold his $250 place in the line for $5000....no way to verify it, he came across as obnoxious

Reactions: Sam1
Your current car @ 4yrs/75k is worth approximately half that of a new equivalent.

That's very much not true today, as you know, but values will readjust to normal ratios within a year or two. At which time your 5-6 year old car will be worth about half as much as a 1-2 year old equivalent - so you stand to lose around $20K in equity if you don't get rid of your old car asap.

If that's not enough motivation, there are a million small updates like the heat pump, Ryzen, Li12V, and non-combative center console just to name a few.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Sam1
That's very much not true today, as you know, but values will readjust to normal ratios within a year or two. At which time your 5-6 year old car will be worth about half as much as a 1-2 year old equivalent - so you stand to lose around $20K in equity if you don't get rid of your old car asap.

^this precisely. But just get another long range, don't opt for the performance, there's not enough difference between the two models to justify $7000

I’ve got an original rwd Mod3 and MYP.

2018 long range rwd Mod3 lowered with Mountain Pass Performance Coilovers + PS4S tires and a 2022 MYP also lowered with Mountain Pass Performance Coilovers.

I do like how fast the MYP is when I push it. However there aren’t many instances where I can do that. It also handles great with the coilovers. However I think the rwd long range Mod3 handles much better. The front end feels lighter and more direct when turning into turns. It almost feels like it wants to rotate into the direction you want to go in. The MYP does handle real good however it just doesn’t feel as direct as the Mod3 in the turns.

The other difference is that the 2018 has enhanced autopilot. So it’ll do things like park itself and change lanes on its own which is great during my commute. The biggest difference is that my 2018 will do enhanced autopilot up to 90 mph which makes a big difference when driving to Vegas. The MYP can only go up to 80mph with standard autopilot.

I don’t think I’d want to sell my 69,000 mile Mod3 to get a P3D.
94C57122-D82B-4132-85F6-101A1DF62213.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dek526 and tm1v2
I’ve got an original rwd Mod3 and MYP.

2018 long range rwd Mod3 lowered with Mountain Pass Performance Coilovers + PS4S tires and a 2022 MYP also lowered with Mountain Pass Performance Coilovers.

I do like how fast the MYP is when I push it. However there aren’t many instances where I can do that. It also handles great with the coilovers. However I think the rwd long range Mod3 handles much better. The front end feels lighter and more direct when turning into turns. It almost feels like it wants to rotate into the direction you want to go in. The MYP does handle real good however it just doesn’t feel as direct as the Mod3 in the turns.

The other difference is that the 2018 has enhanced autopilot. So it’ll do things like park itself and change lanes on its own which is great during my commute. The biggest difference is that my 2018 will do enhanced autopilot up to 90 mph which makes a big difference when driving to Vegas. The MYP can only go up to 80mph with standard autopilot.

I don’t think I’d want to sell my 69,000 mile Mod3 to get a P3D.
View attachment 815956

They just bumped the autopilot speed up to 85 mph on the last update as an FYI.

Personally I would wait for one with 4680 and the structural battery pack. But if you order now you will probably be getting that. There's also the potential for a HW4 for FSD so that might be worth waiting for if that's your thing.
Lanzer, do you have inside information? There is currently no plan to put the 4680 structural pack in the 3. Tesla can only make so many of them at the moment and they are all going in the Y's. It may be two years before we see the change in the 3.

Reactions: house9 and E90alex

This is the way. Also you will most-likely be able to sell your reservation and recover your $250 if you decide against the upgrade.

There are no rumors of 4680's in the Model 3. Tesla has 3 new factories to get up to speed, pandemic and chip supply issues, and a major new product entering production (4680's). Once all of that settles down, they've already indicated that they will focus on Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster, and Model 2. It looks like it will be quite a while before they are ready to re-tool the Fremont line for a 2nd gen Model 3.

And note that gigacastings and 4680-ish cells were already on the drawing board when the Model Y was being designed so they planned for some future accommodations. The Model 3 however, was Tesla's very first mass production effort and they nearly went bankrupt in the process - they did not have the luxury of considering anything other than the essentials needed at the time. So the Model 3 will require a much more dramatic chassis redesign to get 4680's and/or castings, and there's no reason for them to divert efforts away from other projects to do this anytime soon.