Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to upgrade 2018 M3 for 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lanzer, do you have inside information? There is currently no plan to put the 4680 structural pack in the 3. Tesla can only make so many of them at the moment and they are all going in the Y's. It may be two years before we see the change in the 3.
Sorry my wires crossed and I thought we're talking about the Model Y at the moment, probably because I personally am thinking of upgrading my 2018 M3 to a Y. :)

What is HW4 again?
Hardware 4 is the latest FSD computer. People found mentioning of it in the source code from an update 3 months back. Though there is zero information on which platform HW4 will appear on. It might be exclusive to the Cybertruck, or maybe the plaid. There's also rumor of new cameras being used with HW4.

As a FSD beta tester any potential FSD related upgrades are high on my list of consideration. Though it might be months before we know anything about it.

I have a 2018 'stealth performance' ie which is something you can't get anymore (Performance w/o the brakes or other small tweaks but with the same motors + software). I tweaked my car with some MPP bits

Disregarding that bit, the only thing mine does not have that I might want is a CCS enabled charge board. Iff it ever becomes important, I'll look into dealing with that when the time comes. Mine has something that new ones don't, V10 software :). <- personal preference at this time.

Warranty might be something of value but honestly my car has had zero real issues in the 44k/4 years of owning it so it doesn't make $ sense to swap it out.

Just to play devils advocate....

Put $250 deposit down on a new M3 Performance, have fun configuring it, then wait until it's close to delivery time. If my son's wait for his Model 3 Performance is any indication (he just got his two weeks ago), you'll have about 2 and a half months to give it some more thought.

At that time, you can see how much you can get for your 2018 M3, and decide if it's worth it to make the move.

You can probably get a good idea now of how much you can sell your current Model 3 for, and figure out if it's worth risking the $250 deposit. Plus, if Tesla happens to again raise their prices, you're already locked it.

You will be risking $250 however.

I very much agree with this and thinks it's worth the $250 gamble.

Ugh, now I'm torn between M3P and MYP. I like the road and drive feel of the M3, but i like the ingress and egress of the MYP and the potential for car camping/towing. :(. I just dont like how the MY feels like I'm driving on top of a model 3.
I have the MY Performance, my son has the M3 Performance.

He was more interested in better handling, plus he saved quite a bit getting the Model 3.

My wife much prefers sitting up higher. I don't mind sitting up higher, and getting in/out of the Model Y is quite a bit easier... but I'm a big guy, 6'2" and, um... could do with losing a few pounds. Getting into the back seat of the Model 3, I really had to duck my head, but I don't think I'll have to get in the back seat of the Model 3 very often!

You can also store quite a bit more in the Y then the 3. The biggest problem with the trunk on the 3 is hight... you won't be able to bring along any tall boxes or luggage... the trunk is deep, but the opening is rather shallow. Back seats are much roomier in the Y, so if you expect to have more then 2 people very often, that's something to consider!

They're both great cars, and have their benefits and disadvantages when compared to each other. I'm loving my Y, but my son feels the same about his Model 3...

I have the MY Performance, my son has the M3 Performance.

He was more interested in better handling, plus he saved quite a bit getting the Model 3.

My wife much prefers sitting up higher. I don't mind sitting up higher, and getting in/out of the Model Y is quite a bit easier... but I'm a big guy, 6'2" and, um... could do with losing a few pounds. Getting into the back seat of the Model 3, I really had to duck my head, but I don't think I'll have to get in the back seat of the Model 3 very often!

You can also store quite a bit more in the Y then the 3. The biggest problem with the trunk on the 3 is hight... you won't be able to bring along any tall boxes or luggage... the trunk is deep, but the opening is rather shallow. Back seats are much roomier in the Y, so if you expect to have more then 2 people very often, that's something to consider!

They're both great cars, and have their benefits and disadvantages when compared to each other. I'm loving my Y, but my son feels the same about his Model 3...
That's my one complaint of the 3. I am 6'4" and could stand to lose a few myself. Getting in and out is a pain and I've scraped the inner b-pillar cover off more times than I can remember. I basically have to fall in ass first, duck my head, and swing my legs in. Model Y I can just step/slide in.

Ugh, now I'm torn between M3P and MYP. I like the road and drive feel of the M3, but i like the ingress and egress of the MYP and the potential for car camping/towing. :(. I just dont like how the MY feels like I'm driving on top of a model 3.
@DblOSmith You're spot on with those comparisons. I like driving the 3, any version of it, way more than a Y. The 3 puts a smile on my face, and the Y...doesn't. But the Y is way more practical, much better for hauling people or cargo. It's a very well packaged utility vehicle / crossover, and it's plenty fast. It's just not fun, to me. (Then again I don't normally find crossovers fun to drive in general.)

Since our recent car shopping last fall was for a 2nd car, to go alongside our old Model S, the M3P was an easy choice over the Y to me. Polestar 2 Performance vs M3P was a much more difficult decision for me, but I'm very happy with our choice. Wife probably would've picked Y over 3 on her own but didn't feel that strongly between the two like I did.

Now if we had been shopping for a replacement for our S, to be our only car like our S was for many years, I don't think the 3 would work. And honestly I would've rejected the Y too just for the atrocious ride quality + excessive wind noise of the one we tested.

(I now believe that MYLR's wind noise was an issue with that particular demo car. And Tesla has a history of changing suspension tuning on their cars, sometimes drastically, so it's quite possible the latest Y's ride better than the one I tested. If we needed an S replacement today I would definitely test drive a Y again and see if the latest ones are better.)

@DblOSmith You're spot on with those comparisons. I like driving the 3, any version of it, way more than a Y. The 3 puts a smile on my face, and the Y...doesn't. But the Y is way more practical, much better for hauling people or cargo. It's a very well packaged utility vehicle / crossover, and it's plenty fast. It's just not fun, to me. (Then again I don't normally find crossovers fun to drive in general.)

Since our recent car shopping last fall was for a 2nd car, to go alongside our old Model S, the M3P was an easy choice over the Y to me. Polestar 2 Performance vs M3P was a much more difficult decision for me, but I'm very happy with our choice. Wife probably would've picked Y over 3 on her own but didn't feel that strongly between the two like I did.

Now if we had been shopping for a replacement for our S, to be our only car like our S was for many years, I don't think the 3 would work. And honestly I would've rejected the Y too just for the atrocious ride quality + excessive wind noise of the one we tested.

(I now believe that MYLR's wind noise was an issue with that particular demo car. And Tesla has a history of changing suspension tuning on their cars, sometimes drastically, so it's quite possible the latest Y's ride better than the one I tested. If we needed an S replacement today I would definitely test drive a Y again and see if the latest ones are better.)
Yeah, it's a hard choice for me. I think I'm going to stick with the Y. As I get older and less flexible, the low M3 will become more and more of a pain as much as I love it's ride. I wonder if there is a height difference between MY and MYP? I wonder how much of a difference lowering the car (and perhaps somehow the seat?) would make a difference as a middle ground measure...

Yeah, it's a hard choice for me. I think I'm going to stick with the Y. As I get older and less flexible, the low M3 will become more and more of a pain as much as I love it's ride. I wonder if there is a height difference between MY and MYP? I wonder how much of a difference lowering the car (and perhaps somehow the seat?) would make a difference as a middle ground measure...
@DblOSmith MYP is definitely lower...I think MYP vs MYLR height difference is larger than M3P vs M3LR ever was. (Tesla no longer lists the M3P as having "lowered suspension," but they still do for MYP.)

I never tested MYP because it seemed clear the MYP wouldn't address my issues with that MYLR demo car (ride and wind noise).

I don't think lowering springs would do much good in terms of ride or handling for either Model Y or Model 3, it feels like the dampers are the weak link. They lose all control of the car's weight when pushed really hard on twisty back roads, and even on smooth sweeping ramps the car never feels 100% settled - which I think is the damper's job, no matter how soft or stiff the springs are. Plus the Model 3 feels challenged for suspension travel and ground clearance, lowering can only make that worse. (Y is better in that regard, probably could lower some while still having decent travel and clearance.)

I was fine with the stock M3P ride quality, especially after moving to 18s. And like I said, it was fun and put a smile on my face right away, that's why I was very happy to buy one! But the Model 3 brought out the old driving connoisseur in me. Years ago I used to do track days, chase snowstorms for fun, tear up twisty mountain roads, etc. Model 3 handling is okay at a decent pace but fell apart when pushed really hard, and I had just experienced much higher quality suspensions in other EV test drives - Polestar 2 Performance (P2P) with Öhlins DFV, and Mach-E GT PE with Magneride.

So based on that P2P I got the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV "Performance Sport" kit for my car, along with MPP FLCA bearings (highly recommended!) and compression rod inserts (just because). Handling is transformed, and it rides perfectly fine, better than stock when the dampers aren't cranked up super stiff. ("Performance Sport" has stiffer springs than stock though, if you don't want that the "GT" kit has softer stock-like springs and should still be a major handling upgrade.)

I doubt any suspension kit would give a Model Y the suspension refinement of a Polestar 2 Performance, but my guess is I would be pretty happy with, for example, the Model Y Redwood GT (comfort-focused) coilover kit. However I don't want to buy a family car where I'd require an aftermarket suspension just to be happy with it. Many Model Y owners are perfectly happy with how their Y drives though, so don't let me talk you out of the Y if you tested one and liked it!

Btw I'm only talking about these mods here because you mentioned maybe lowering the car. I'm not trying to talk you into modding in general, there's real risks and downsides beyond just buying and installing parts. I had some experience and knew what I was getting into.

Last edited:
@DblOSmith MYP is definitely lower...I think MYP vs MYLR height difference is larger than M3P vs M3LR ever was. (Tesla no longer lists the M3P as having "lowered suspension," but they still do for MYP.)

I never tested MYP because it seemed clear the MYP wouldn't address my issues with that MYLR demo car (ride and wind noise).

I don't think lowering springs would do much good in terms of ride or handling for either Model Y or Model 3, it feels like the dampers are the weak link. They lose all control of the car's weight when pushed really hard on twisty back roads, and even on smooth sweeping ramps the car never feels 100% settled - which I think is the damper's job, no matter how soft or stiff the springs are. Plus the Model 3 feels challenged for suspension travel and ground clearance, lowering can only make that worse. (Y is better in that regard, probably could lower some while still having decent travel and clearance.)

I was fine with the stock M3P ride quality, especially after moving to 18s. And like I said, it was fun and put a smile on my face right away, that's why I was very happy to buy one! But the Model 3 brought out the old driving connoisseur in me. Years ago I used to do track days, chase snowstorms for fun, tear up twisty mountain roads, etc. Model 3 handling is okay at a decent pace but fell apart when pushed really hard, and I had just experienced much higher quality suspensions in other EV test drives - Polestar 2 Performance (P2P) with Öhlins DFV, and Mach-E GT PE with Magneride.

So based on that P2P I got the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV "Performance Sport" kit for my car, along with MPP FLCA bearings (highly recommended!) and compression rod inserts (just because). Handling is transformed, and it rides perfectly fine, better than stock when the dampers aren't cranked up super stiff. ("Performance Sport" has stiffer springs than stock though, if you don't want that the "GT" kit has softer stock-like springs and should still be a major handling upgrade.)

I doubt any suspension kit would give a Model Y the suspension refinement of a Polestar 2 Performance, but my guess is I would be pretty happy with, for example, the Model Y Redwood GT (comfort-focused) coilover kit. However I don't want to buy a family car where I'd require an aftermarket suspension just to be happy with it. Many Model Y owners are perfectly happy with how their Y drives though, so don't let me talk you out of the Y if you tested one and liked it!

Btw I'm only talking about these mods here because you mentioned maybe lowering the car. I'm not trying to talk you into modding in general, there's real risks and downsides beyond just buying and installing parts. I had some experience and knew what I was getting into.
I'm no stranger to mods myself. I follow you, friend. :)

Reactions: tm1v2
Nope.

I have the Tesla wall charger at home, which charges my Model Y (and my son's Model 3) at around 25 miles/hour, so overnight, either car will go from 25- 30% to full. We never return home with less than 30% charge.

When I take longer drives, I simply stop at a Tesla Supercharger... Living in So California, they're very prolific.

Tesla just opened one near my house (which I don't really need) about 5 minutes from my home with 22 charging stations. Prior to that, when my older BMW wall charger caught fire and I had to replace it, I would drive to Granada Hills, about 35 minutes from my home, to charge my Model Y.

But again... other than when my older charger caught fire and I had to wait for the new Tesla charger to be delivered, and for an electrician to install, etc. etc. I really don't see needing CCS.