Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any reason to upgrade my 2019 M3 while waiting for CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've read multiple threads asking if they should sell their car and get an M3 upgrade, but still here goes.

I got my M3 LR, premium interior and with FSD back in June 2019 and it only has 16K miles on it, WFH and covid kept it low :)

I have pre ordered the CT, which come sometime before 20xx, in the meantime I would like to take advantage of the ridiculos trade-in and get an upgraded experience 😂

The current cash offer for my M3 ensure I only lose 7K compared to original price of $60K.

I was thinking to either get the new M3 LR refresh model or the M3P, both with FSD. I don't need track mode and I've read the stock 20" are that good and the rolling efficiency on the Aero 18" are much better.

Current wait time for
  1. M3 LR is September +
  2. M3P is August +
At current the M3 is sold for $73K plus a $2K performance boost and the M3P is sold for $78K.

I don't foresee resell prices to dip dramastically between now and September.

I think I know the answer that M3P is a no brainer even though I won't do track, but for the better brakes alone then the 3K difference and shorter wait time is worth it.

Am I being too cautious?

I've read multiple threads asking if they should sell their car and get an M3 upgrade, but still here goes.
I got my M3 LR, premium interior and with FSD back in June 2019 and it only has 16K miles on it, WFH and covid kept it low :)
I have pre ordered the CT, which come sometime before 20xx, in the meantime I would like to take advantage of the ridiculos trade-in and get an upgraded experience 😂

I have a similar combo, though I've given up all home of seeing CyberTruck until ... 2024-25-26 time frame.
Tesla can't get its act together to produce Model 3/Y's in the new TX plant, or get enough batteries altogether. So adding new models into the mix is likely to get pushed out into perpetuity.

I was thinking to either get the new M3 LR refresh model or the M3P, both with FSD. I don't need track mode and I've read the stock 20" are that good and the rolling efficiency on the Aero 18" are much better.

At current the M3 is sold for $73K plus a $2K performance boost and the M3P is sold for $78K.

That's peculiar.
The current Tesla web site shows Model 3 LR for $57.9K, and P for $62.9K.
I'm not sure how you get to 73 and 78K for either, unless you add all silly options.

I think I know the answer that M3P is a no brainer even though I won't do track, but for the better brakes alone then the 3K difference and shorter wait time is worth it.

Extra $5K, and yes, it's worth it for the car guys.
Not worth it for the point A to point B guys.

YMMV,
a

I was thinking to either get the new M3 LR refresh model or the M3P, both with FSD.

I'm not sure how you get to 73 and 78K for either, unless you add all silly options.

I am not commenting on how "silly" it is, but I suspect the OPs pricing is related to this statement above. In the interest of heading off yet another "FSD isnt worth it" debate, that isnt want the OP asked here, but I do realize that many people will conflate that is part of the decision making process.

Day to day, I don't see that much difference in the 2019 vs a new 2022, especially since yours has such low mileage. It will obviously last you until the Cybertruck is ready (assuming it's within the next 10 years LOL).

Thanks gents,

I am sure the current car could last a long time. The degrading has so far only been 40 miles according to Tesla readouts.
My price examples are with all silly options as I want to have FSD, red model and premium white interior.
As a Dane then Red and White is a given ;)

That said back in 2020 I got a Trade In offer from Tesla at $40K and now I can get $54K. Keeping my current model over the next 3 years will only lower the resell value to less than $40K. However getting a new M3 or M3P would mean I would get a high resell on my current, which will be invested in a new M3. The new M3 should introduce a lower MSRP drop than my current M3, all while obtaining a better car.
The window improvements, new GPU, powered trunk, etc. are all nice.

The current resell climate and not losing almost any money is the key reason for changing now.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Looking at your own statements:

The current cash offer for my M3 ensure I only lose 7K compared to original price of $60K.

The current resell climate and not losing almost any money is the key reason for changing now.

So, it appears that even you acknowledge that purchasing a new car does not meet the criteria you laid out for yourself.

Only losing $7K today on my current M3 compared to 2020 Trade In offer where I would lose $20K is what make me look into this.
I don't expect future trade in climate to be this crazy going for forward. Used cars are getting same attention as art.

"only losing 7k" means that you do not define 7K as "almost any money". I am going by what you said, as you defined the current resale climate as "almost losing no money" but by your own calculations would be looking at a 7k loss. Whether you want to do this or not is up to you, but framing it to yourself as if its not losing much money, while admitting that it would be a 7k loss, and being willing to spend 12k on FSD seems all kinds of strange to me.

All depends on one's view of the amount of money we're talking about. Personally I'm cautious with sums of money in the 7k to 12k range. However the OPs perspective maybe this is no big concern. Therefore it's more of a go ahead spend away 🙂

Cars are expenses, not investments, and the best course is usually to keep them 7 years at a bare minimum before changing. If you need more capability in a different vehicle, that's a different situation. You're better off putting that $7k into emergency savings, paying down the mortgage, using it for your hobbies, etc. But if it's really annoying having it in the bank account, I'll be happy to accept the charitable donation. :)

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig
I'm even guilty as charged when it comes to keeping vehicles long term. As seen in my Signature, I'm guilty of doing almost exactly what I'm recommending the OP doesn't do... Don't do what I did, It's really not worth the money to upgrade.

... I love the comment...

$7K or $12K is a substantial sum. I am merely contemplating the fact that in 2+ years time when CT arrives then the resell price of my current M3 would have dropped below $35K or further.
Prices could also drop, it's hard to speculate given the crazy conditions right now. You may be right as well, it's possible retail prices won't drop and this could be the highest price you will see for trade in. Kind of like playing the stock market

As this shitstorm continues to grow, and we officially enter into a recession and possibly stagflation, I foresee the average age of vehicles on the road to continue to climb. This means people would be repairing verses replacing and demand would drop. At the same time, production would catch up with demand. If what you have works, I would keep it and invest in physical assets (not a car), food, etc, at least for the next few years. By then the Cybertruck should be ready for market, and you can make decision based on the conditions at that time.

Last edited: