Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to wait until 2023 to place order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to trade in my 2020 Model Y for a new one and I'm not really concerned with the trade-in values. I know there's been changes to the tax credits, but I'm not sure if that would affect me. I haven't met the eligibility for any tax credits in the past, but I wasn't sure if the recent changes might affect prices or something else in 2023. Also, is there any reason to worry about Tesla pushing cars before the year-end? I guess I'm worried that they might try to assign me a VIN that someone else already rejected due to something they found. Is that a legitimate concern? I think the only other thing holding me back right now would be the lack of USS and whether I should wait to see how Tesla solves that problem first.

Basically I'm getting antsy to place the order and was hoping to get some opinions on what some of you might consider in my situation.

I am in the same boat. Not antsy, but just wondering how this will be resolved.
I plan to purchase after Jan. 1 if I buy a MY.
I feel like this is one of the biggest unknowns. I’d hate to give up my current car only to find out Tesla made a huge mistake and the functionality will never be the same as USS.

It’s easy to keep waiting and waiting before pulling the trigger. They upgraded the suspension recently, added cargo cover, etc. At what point do we say that we’re happy with the current configuration and pull the trigger while knowing it’s going to be upgraded again and possibly be outdated within a few months?

One could always argue that we didn't have USS until recent years but so do smartphones. Modern lifestyle with modern technology. I find it laughable that a 70k car doesn't have USS or home link.

With the large profit margin for their cars I thought they would bring more value to the customers but they prioritize their shareholders I guess.

Reactions: acpd and cenwesi
I feel like this is one of the biggest unknowns. I’d hate to give up my current car only to find out Tesla made a huge mistake and the functionality will never be the same as USS.

It’s easy to keep waiting and waiting before pulling the trigger. They upgraded the suspension recently, added cargo cover, etc. At what point do we say that we’re happy with the current configuration and pull the trigger while knowing it’s going to be upgraded again and possibly be outdated within a few months?

Regardless of what advancements Tesla has made, they can't do park distance with vision when cameras get clogged with road film and salt which is the norm in many parts of the US for 3-6 months a year. When I get my new MY in a few days time I have consigned myself to needing to wipe cams a few times a week in the winter time for it to work properly.

Out of curiosity why would you sell a not even 3 year old car? There have been very few improvements to the MY since release with the biggest probably being the comfort suspension and Ryzen CPU.

I watched a video yesterday of a guy in Sweden I think with a week old MY without USS.
He went forward and reverse towards a short snow bank and the car gave no signal as to proximity - none
Very easy to damage either front or rear bumpers without knowing how truly close you are to an object.

It's crazy. No other manufacturer would pull off stupid *sugar* like this. They do it because they no in the current market conditions, they will get away with it.

But that being said, we currently have VR headsets that have inside out tracking entirely based on camera based system. No USS. See the Oculus Quest. It can calculate the proximity of my face in space to within a few millimeters. I agree that cameras can get clogged up though and that is the only issue.

From what I'm gathering with most of the replies, I think I'll wait to see how this USS thing plays out. I understand a lot of people have strong opinions on that particular subject and it's for good reason I think. It was stupid of them to remove the sensors before having a working replacement. Do I trust that they're working on a replacement? Absolutely. Do I trust that they'll actually be able to accomplish the replacement and have it match the USS functionality. Hell no! I think that right there is enough reason to wait it out.

Out of curiosity why would you sell a not even 3 year old car? There have been very few improvements to the MY since release with the biggest probably being the comfort suspension and Ryzen CPU.
There really isn't anything wrong with my existing MY. I usually lease cars for three years at a time because I get bored of them and can deduct most of the payments through work. However, Tesla's leases aren't that great so this was the first car I've ever bought. Also, between what I owe and what my estimated trade-in value is, I'll get a good amount back to put towards the new car. So I can get into a fresh car with some improvements (or possibly some downgrades depending on how things play out haha) for a minimal difference in my payments. So I figured why not?

Reactions: voip-ninja
From what I'm gathering with most of the replies, I think I'll wait to see how this USS thing plays out. I understand a lot of people have strong opinions on that particular subject and it's for good reason I think. It was stupid of them to remove the sensors before having a working replacement. Do I trust that they're working on a replacement? Absolutely. Do I trust that they'll actually be able to accomplish the replacement and have it match the USS functionality. Hell no! I think that right there is enough reason to wait it out.

There really isn't anything wrong with my existing MY. I usually lease cars for three years at a time because I get bored of them and can deduct most of the payments through work. However, Tesla's leases aren't that great so this was the first car I've ever bought. Also, between what I owe and what my estimated trade-in value is, I'll get a good amount back to put towards the new car. So I can get into a fresh car with some improvements (or possibly some downgrades depending on how things play out haha) for a minimal difference in my payments. So I figured why not?
Makes sense in your situation. I just think that you might be disappointed in the lack of improvements between your current MY and what you'll be buying. Unless you are moving up a trim or going for a different model (3 to a Y), it will likely feel similar with a little bit of refinement.

If you don't care about the value of your trade in right now, I would just wait it out and enjoy your current car. Maybe get some accessories or something to make it feel "newer" to you.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Yeah I think I'm going to wait it out and see what comes in 2023 (if anything). I would basically be going from MY LR to another MY LR but just a newer year. I may end up giving my current MY to my mom instead of trading it in since she'll be due for a new car around June next year so that'll definitely give me plenty of time to see how everything plays out.

Waiting until late next year for MY prices to (hopefully) come back down, or (hopefully) take delivery of one of the two different EV trucks I have on order.
Also allowing time to (hopefully) have the new HD radar, and (hopefully) functional proximity detection using vision only.

A lot of "hopefully's" there.

Waiting until late next year for MY prices to (hopefully) come back down, or (hopefully) take delivery of one of the two different EV trucks I have on order.
Also allowing time to (hopefully) have the new HD radar, and (hopefully) functional proximity detection using vision only.

A lot of "hopefully's" there.
Most of the time with anything tech related, the longer you wait, the more features you get for the same or less. Not factoring any crazy economic situation.

Reactions: Mike7564
Yup. Bit of a dilemma for those who either think Tesla won’t qualify for the full tax refund or personally income disqualifies them from it. Take delivery in December with some money off or “punt” and wait till they add back some tech features (sensors etc) since the car is fairly stripped down these days (supply chain issues etc).

Yup. Bit of a dilemma for those who either think Tesla won’t qualify for the full tax refund or personally income disqualifies them from it. Take delivery in December with some money off or “punt” and wait till they add back some tech features (sensors etc) since the car is fairly stripped down these days (supply chain issues etc).
Honestly, if one doesn't need a car in the now don't buy just due to FOMO. I'm sure there will be newer and cooler things that will be coming out in the near future (as always).

One could always argue that we didn't have USS until recent years but so do smartphones. Modern lifestyle with modern technology. I find it laughable that a 70k car doesn't have USS or home link.

With the large profit margin for their cars I thought they would bring more value to the customers but they prioritize their shareholders I guess.
You hit the nail on the head. Tesla is looking to squeeze as much money as they can now to justify insane stock price (yes still insanely high). Bad move IMO. They should be focused on continuous improvement of their already great products, instead they are stripping them. This is going to backfire.

Reactions: c3nsored