TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any recommendation on all-weather mats for the new Tesla 7 seat configuration?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by ab26, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ab26

ab26 Member

As the title says it all - would appreciate if someone can recommend a good all-weather mats for the new 7 seat configuration for the Model X

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

#2 boaterva, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Tesla has the second row out for the five-seat and it looks like it will fit the seven. I’m *almost* ready to order it to see. (Edit: see below, not so fast... I agree it's not going to fit.)

The first row is excellent, also, as is the Frunk one (back in stock as of yesterday) (all of these are WeatherTech).

Rear you can get Tesla’s or use one of the animal mats when carrying large objects (I got one from Knine off Amazon).

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Doesn't the 2nd row (in 7 seat config) move forward to allow access to 3rd row, but in the 5-seat config it doesn't? I would think the 7-seat mats would need to allow this forward movement, while the 5-seat mats don't. In short, I don't think they would be compatible, but I haven't seen either to be certain.

4. boaterva

That was my question... if the five-seater doesn't move at all, it would explain the lack of 'double billing'. I was looking at the carpet in my seven-seater and the pic of the five-seater mat, and I think you're correct.

Here's the mat, and I think there's no/not enough forward and aft leeway for the seat movement. No idea why they didn't make the 'grooves' large enough for both models or just another one with totally open slots for the seven's struts.

Now, if they've been working on this since the five appeared, then that tells you how long we have to wait for the seven's second row mats to appear! :confused:

upload_2017-10-5_10-54-22.png

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It almost seems like Tesla is designing new stuff on the fly and there is no one with an over-all vision of all the moving parts of the company to foresee design decisions like this.

Having said that, a dedicated 5-seat mat would work better than a more generic 5/7-seat mat, so maybe it's best to simply wait for a dedicated 7-seat mat, even though it's a very slow process. I hope that the differences between the two will be so minimal, that Tesla and Weathertech can move quicker than usual.

--Winter is coming--

• Funny x 1
  6. boaterva

I don't even watch GoT and I wanted to funny and like that post. :D

7. Peteski

Peteski Member

I've just ordered a new 7 seater X too, so will keep watch on this. Obviously will need slots cut out for the sliding posts and looks like they will need to be really long slots too, so not sure how effective the mat will actually be. I might even consider getting a 5 seat mat and just lift it up when sliding the middle row forward. Not ideal, but I will rarely need to access the 3rd row. Let's hope they come up with a good solution!

8. bluecow82

bluecow82 Member

9. Peteski

Peteski Member

Those mats look good. But how effective is the rear one with all those long slots in it? I can imagine loads of dirt getting trapped in there. I think it's one of the negatives of this new seat configuration as there isn't an obvious solution except to put a removable cover over the slotted area.