Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations for quieter tires for Model X P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but did you notice the speed rating is lower. I question if the quality of the tire being lower then. ie. can it handle the temps, can it handle the psi for towing or better mileage (higher).
I will be sure to let you know... over the next 10k miles or so. 130mph vs 149mph rating, I think I can live with it as long as they last long enough.

And probably not advisable for Performance X's

Did they come with Continentals from the factory, or did you put them on later?

My service center really doesn't want to replace the front 255/45R20 Michelins with 265/45R20 Continentals.
MX comes standard with them as far as I know, and I work near, & charge at the TM factory. Both my MX delivered with Crosscontact-Continentals (M+S rating for sure)

Your local service center should be able to install them, or go to another.

Tesla Model X Wheels and Tires Specifications
crosscontact.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
My service center really doesn't want to replace the front 255/45R20 Michelins with 265/45R20 Continentals.
Mine were standard from the factory as well. This is what the wiki entry showed you as well. Ask your service center what different tire options came with the X in different areas of the country or at different times of the year/production. It came with like 3 types. If they don't know have them call corporate to get it clarified.

My early P90 came with Michelins and were very noisy. The non-P's at that time were coming in with the Conti-Silents. I bought the Conti's from TireRack and had them installed at a local Firestone store, but since they are offered by Tesla the SC should install them.

Reactions: PeterK
My early P90 came with Michelins and were very noisy. The non-P's at that time were coming in with the Conti-Silents. I bought the Conti's from TireRack and had them installed at a local Firestone store, but since they are offered by Tesla the SC should install them.
Our VINs are both in the 2XXs but yours came with Michelins delivered 2/16/16 and mine came with Conti-Silents delivered 3/1/16.

Yes, but did you notice the speed rating is lower. I question if the quality of the tire being lower then. ie. can it handle the temps, can it handle the psi for towing or better mileage (higher).
So, I went to Discount Tire and they called Continental, basically what they found out for me, is that only the 108V has the foam inside (ContiSilent).
So, I cancelled my order from Walmart and had Discount Tire order them, since I could not find them on their website.

It was $324 per tire.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and scottf200
So, I went to Discount Tire and they called Continental, basically what they found out for me, is that only the 108V has the foam inside (ContiSilent).
So, I cancelled my order from Walmart and had Discount Tire order them, since I could not find them on their website.

It was $324 per tire.
I found front and rear tires (different sizes) to have different prices, with the larger rears more expensive. Was your price quote for fronts or rears?

Well, in their defense, the 265's have about a 1% larger circumference. On an ICE AWD/ 4WD this would not play well with the center coupling/ transfer case. With dual motors, the front/rear change in ratio is not a problem mechanically. The ABS/ traction control 'may' be sensitive to this change. If so, it should be a calibration setting the SvC can change.
Only other concern is that the extra 10mm of width and 18mm of diameter cuts into the original tire/ body clearance. But, if the same vehicle came with that size, that doesn't seem like a problem.

I took my Model X P90D to the service center last week and they replaced my Michelins with Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires. I don't see "Conti-Silent" anywhere on the tires, but they're definitely quieter than the Michelins. The technicians told the rep handling my service appointment that there was no problem putting 265s in front (instead of the 255s that were there originally). So I'm good to go, and very happy!

@Blastphemy I think you made the right choice with the tires. One suggestion is keep your tires around 45 PSI.
Previously, I would max out at 42 PSI (meaning if I saw 39-41 I would still feel fine, but my fronts went bad at 32k with under-inflate wear pattern
tire-wear_patterns.jpg

Mine are at 45 PSI now (for the new tires) and they fluctuate from 43 - 46 based on temps.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I took my Model X P90D to the service center last week and they replaced my Michelins with Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires. I don't see "Conti-Silent" anywhere on the tires, but they're definitely quieter than the Michelins. The technicians told the rep handling my service appointment that there was no problem putting 265s in front (instead of the 255s that were there originally). So I'm good to go, and very happy!
Keep looking, it should be there like this, my front MX tires as I mentioned before.
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG

Just getting the Michelins off after less than 10k miles. Never again. Is there a warranty? Conti’s before that lasted twice as long. Will try Nokian next.

We put 29k on the 20" conti silents M+S on a Model X 90D since end of May 2016 before we replaced them today.

Thinking about getting the Nokian Hakka R2 for the winter, but do they wear out a lot faster when driving on regular roads without snow?

We would only go up into the mountains with snow 3-4 times that year, but in rain where we live it should also be nice to have?

Last edited: