Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations for quieter tires for Model X P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took our Model X P90D in for its first annual service and was told our rear two tires have a tread depth down to 3, so we need to replace them, soon. Mind you, we only have 17,500 miles on those tires, and we don't drive crazy, so I'm reticent about buying the same tires again and having to replace them again before the lease is up.

Can anyone recommend an alternative tire, preferably ones that are quieter (i.e., less road noise)? I don't care if I take a mileage hit as long as the new tires reduce the unacceptable road noise this car makes.

My X has the 20-inch wheels and was one of the first 400 built, but I forgot to check the exact brand/size of the OE tires before posting this thread. (My wife has the car at the moment, so I can't give those specifics yet.)

Suggestions for both rear and front tires would be appreciated! I have very limited experience and knowledge when it comes to tires, unfortunately :(

Thank you, community!

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I took our Model X P90D in for its first annual service and was told our rear two tires have a tread depth down to 3, so we need to replace them, soon. Mind you, we only have 17,500 miles on those tires, and we don't drive crazy, so I'm reticent about buying the same tires again and having to replace them again before the lease is up.

Can anyone recommend an alternative tire, preferably ones that are quieter (i.e., less road noise)? I don't care if I take a mileage hit as long as the new tires reduce the unacceptable road noise this car makes.

My X has the 20-inch wheels and was one of the first 400 built, but I forgot to check the exact brand/size of the OE tires before posting this thread. (My wife has the car at the moment, so I can't give those specifics yet.)

Suggestions for both rear and front tires would be appreciated! I have very limited experience and knowledge when it comes to tires, unfortunately :(

Thank you, community!
You should stay with the Michelin tires for now. Your default setting lowers the X over 55mph. This changes camber and rapidly wears the rear tires. Much more than front.
Reset Toby "never" under option for adjust suspension height. Ours lasted 19,000 miles.
Number 495

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
My X has the 20-inch wheels and was one of the first 400 built, but I forgot to check the exact brand/size of the OE tires before posting this thread.

The car's four tires are all Michelin GreenX 220 AA A Latitude Sport 3, 255/45 R 20 in the front and 275/45 R 20 in the back.

Your default setting lowers the X over 55mph.

Our car is set to never go below Standard height. Sometimes we raise it in parking lots, but the car won't let us drive in High or Very High above 20-30 mph.

I also have an early P90D and it has the 20" ContiSilent tires that McManX describes. They seem pretty quiet to me

I wonder if I should buy the ContiSilent tires? Has anyone had a chance to compare those to the Michelins?

I traded my Model X P90D with Michelin tires in on a Model X P100D with Continental Silent tires. I was astounded at the difference! Best sound dampening tires I have ever had. They have a foam liner that dampens the road noise but which can complicate tire repairs. Regardless, I love the silent ride!

Reactions: goneskiian
The car's four tires are all Michelin GreenX 220 AA A Latitude Sport 3, 255/45 R 20 in the front and 275/45 R 20 in the back.

I can't seem to find the Continental CrossContact LX Sport Silent tires in these sizes at TireRack.com, and my service center doesn't seem to think a 255/45 size exists. Has anyone put Conti-Silents on your Model X in my sizes recently? (Note that I have the 20-inch wheels, not 22-inch.)

I can't seem to find the Continental CrossContact LX Sport Silent tires in these sizes at TireRack.com, and my service center doesn't seem to think a 255/45 size exists. Has anyone put Conti-Silents on your Model X in my sizes recently? (Note that I have the 20-inch wheels, not 22-inch.)
I had Continental 265 and 275 on my X. They lasted 30K miles and were at 5/32 when I left on my last roadtrip. I would get them again for sure. I ran my at 45 psi cold which would get to 49/50 when very hot on long highway. Note 50 psi is recommended even in manual when towing. Tires can handle it.

Model X FAQ Model X FAQ (wiki)
Q: What tires are on the Model X?
A: Continental CrossContact LX Sport; Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season; ContiSilent
Front: 265/45R20 108V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $349.25
Rear: 275/45R20 110V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $338.25
Load Index of 108 = 2205 lbs | 1000 kgs
Load Index of 110 = 2337 lbs | 1060 kgs
Speed symbol is V for 149 mph max

265 -- Continental CrossContact LX Sport
275 -- Continental CrossContact LX Sport

Last edited:
Is it optional whether I put 255s or 265s on my front tires? When I check on Tire Rack, it says 265s won't fit a 2016 P90D. My service center also seemed to think I needed to replace same with same (255s in front).

I can definitely get 275s for the rear, at least.

My service center will only replace tires with the same size. So the only way for me to get 265s on the front would be to go to a third-party tire installer. But the service center insisted that if I have 255s, I shouldn't put 265s on the front.

Would sure be nice to get a definitive answer from Tesla!

My service center will only replace tires with the same size. So the only way for me to get 265s on the front would be to go to a third-party tire installer. But the service center insisted that if I have 255s, I shouldn't put 265s on the front.

Would sure be nice to get a definitive answer from Tesla!
Remind them that the P90Ds came with 3 types of tires and all different sizes. 2 of 3 were 265s in the frong. Ask them about that? Certainly they were not built differently. From the orig X wiki that I pointed to above.

Q: What tires are on the Model X?
A: Continental CrossContact LX Sport; Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season; ContiSilent
Front: 265/45R20 108V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $349.25
Rear: 275/45R20 110V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $338.25
Load Index of 108 = 2205 lbs | 1000 kgs
Load Index of 110 = 2337 lbs | 1060 kgs
Speed symbol is V for 149 mph max

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3; Max Performance Summer; SoundComfort Technology
Front: 265/35R22 102W XL; UTQG: Pending; Tirerack Per Tire: $179.30
Rear: 285/35R22 106W XL; UTQG: 300 AA A; Tirerack Per Tire: $184.70
Load Index of 102 = 1874 lbs | 850 kgs
Load Index of 106 = 2094 lbs | 950 kgs
Speed symbol is W for 168 mph max

Michelin Latitude Sport 3