Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations on rear seat covers & child seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two child seats that I've installed in the back of my S85D. I'm belatedly realizing that these seats are going to be pretty hard on the leather seats, not to mention the random crumbs and other artifacts that are going to filter down there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear seat cover that can be installed underneath a pair of car seats?

I went out today and picked up some black hand towels from a target and stuffed them behind my car seats. I think that will prevent creasing of leather. I doubt your going to find a full car seat cover, but if you do, let me know. FWIW, the Britax is far more of an issue than my Graco one. Britax is a much better car seat but my parents gave me their Graco since they never used it.

For under the seats, I use Prince Lionheart protectors (link below). If you have multiple car seats next to each other, you may need to overlap the seat protectors just a little. After trying many different seat protectors, this is the best IMO (esp for protecting against indents).

Prince Lionheart

If anyone is using towels or similar solutions behind the seat, you could instead try something with a bit more friction or a sort of rubberized / non-slip texture (similar to the underside of the PL seat protector). Like a foam camping mat or memory foam pad.

Also, for a full length solution, I think I've heard of people using pet protectors. I'd be concerned about a potential lack of friction here too, though.

I have two child seats that I've installed in the back of my S85D. I'm belatedly realizing that these seats are going to be pretty hard on the leather seats, not to mention the random crumbs and other artifacts that are going to filter down there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear seat cover that can be installed underneath a pair of car seats?

FYI ~ had baby car seats (grandpups) on leather in our Prius for the last five years, just converted to toddler seats. Bottom line no ground in crumbs or wrinkles (lots of trash and crumbs). The parents get the Prius (pass me down) and we get the MX w/leather

WeatherTech has made 2nd row seat covers for at least the 2012-2013-2014-2015 MS. There is a caution about vehicles that have side impact airbags embedded within the seat (and I'm not sure what the various years of MS have had or have). But in any event here's a link to the 2015 MS version: 2015 Tesla Model S | Seat Protector - Rear Seat Cover for Your Vehicle | WeatherTech.com Short video showing installation. All 4 of the above years seem to be in stock and with some color choice. Not sure if they had and are out of later model years' covers or not but worth asking if you are interested and like the look of their covers. I'm too new to Tesla MS to know about the side airbags but sure someone here does. I thought there are curtain ones on our 2017 but not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, didn't know about that option. But it sure does look pretty ugly from the pictures. Has anyone used these weathertech covers?
WeatherTech has made 2nd row seat covers for at least the 2012-2013-2014-2015 MS. There is a caution about vehicles that have side impact airbags embedded within the seat (and I'm not sure what the various years of MS have had or have). But in any event here's a link to the 2015 MS version: 2015 Tesla Model S | Seat Protector - Rear Seat Cover for Your Vehicle | WeatherTech.com Short video showing installation. All 4 of the above years seem to be in stock and with some color choice. Not sure if they had and are out of later model years' covers or not but worth asking if you are interested and like the look of their covers. I'm too new to Tesla MS to know about the side airbags but sure someone here does. I thought there are curtain ones on our 2017 but not sure.

While I survived damage by the Grandpups; our dogs are another issue. Our rescued small long snout black lab that was rescued from a freeway roadside near death (by about a day) in the desert at three months has turned out to be the step child of a Tasmania Devel dog family. Listening to her snore makes me wonder how she survived at all:)
The Tasmanian side come out of her in a car/truck trying valently to ensure our safety from people walking along the street.
So, if weatherTech really works, I am interested in success stories. If they com out with a MX back seat version I am even more interested.

These still don't cover the headrest like @carter_seattle is concerned about and they definitely look awful! Thanks for suggesting them though as they look like the only option out there.

Get the feeling that most companies don't think the headrests need to be covered for kids or pets. Found another rear seat cover company for Tesla (older models of the S like WeatherTech) with more color choices but similarly attractive design ;) , oh and more expensive than the WeatherTech: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/custom-rear-seat-protector.DCCP When you add a quantity, you'll be prompted for the year, make and model. I suppose if you have kid car seats on top of the cover you're not seeing the cover so much but you do get the waterproof protection and such.

Well there is this company that does seat covers with some style and which includes the headrest although not sure if theirs has waterproofing:
Tesla Seat Cover Gallery - Wet Okole Hawaii
similar to the Evannex seat covers: Seat Covers - Standard for Tesla Model S

Last edited:
I bought the Diono seat protector, the overall length is enough to allow the top of the seatback portion to go over the headrest (I also noticed a lot of creasing caused by the top anchor strap of the RXT.).

I slid up and sandwiched the seat protector while I installed the seat. Seems to work ok, and I can still fit the LATCH buckle through the cutout area of the seat protector.

I bought the Diono seat protector, the overall length is enough to allow the top of the seatback portion to go over the headrest (I also noticed a lot of creasing caused by the top anchor strap of the RXT.).

I slid up and sandwiched the seat protector while I installed the seat. Seems to work ok, and I can still fit the LATCH buckle through the cutout area of the seat protector.

I have two of those Diono seat protectors. They work pretty good, but I had a vomit incident with my daughter the other day and the Diono doesn't really catch anything. I decided to switch over to the Munchkin Brica Booster Seat Guardian instead, as it looks like it will do a better job catching any future spills or vomit. With the perforated seats, that is a bigger concern for me.