Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any record of which VIN were test-driven in Bellevue before production?

Apr 10, 2009
I fondly recall signing up for a test-drive of a Tesla Roadster in Bellevue. This was held in the parking lot of a Sears store that had been closed for some time. I didn't know anything about VP or other VIN numbering schemes at the time, but now I'm wondering whether anyone has a record of which car(s) Tesla brought to Bellevue. These test drives were available only to folks who had put the $60,000 down payment on a Roadster, but you were allowed to invite a guest (which I did, of course). As far as I recall, this was before any of the Roadster 1.5 models shipped. I assume that it was a validation prototype, but I really don't know. Does anyone know?

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
If it was silver, good chance it was VP 10. That's the one that I drove as one of the first Signature 100 member drive opportunities in the hills near Tesla HQ on August 27, 2007.

Zak

Dec 10, 2007
Davis, CA
If it was silver, good chance it was VP 10. That's the one that I drove as one of the first Signature 100 member drive opportunities in the hills near Tesla HQ on August 27, 2007.
VP 11 was definitely there that day (Thunder Gray). I can't recall if there was a second car. There was a different car planned but it had an issue on the way up North. It was a long couple of days for the team transporting the car.

• Informative
Reactions: S-2000 Roadster

Zak

Dec 10, 2007
Davis, CA
btw - That car had a functioning 2-speed transmission, which was lots of fun and one of the few times "the public" got to experience the car that way.

Apr 10, 2009
by the time I got in the car, the 2-speed was locked into low. I recall them suggesting that I not change gears because it might not go back.
Thunder Gray seems right. I recall it wasn't bright.
I was one of the last test drivers, and I convinced them to let me take my Honda S2000 around the track after everyone was done. Very different without the traction control of the Tesla!

Reactions: im4uttx
Apr 10, 2009
Anybody remember the date? I could possibly find out if I haven't deleted the emails from that time.

DRIVE SLOT TIMES
Friday September 26th, 2008
5:00PM
6:00PM

Saturday September 27th, 2008
9:00AM
10:00AM
11:00AM
12:00AM
1:00PM <- my time slot

Sunday September 28th, 2008
9:00AM
10:00AM
11:00AM
12:00PM
1:00PM

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2009
This confirms my recollection that there was no shifting. But the gear shift was visible, so I don't know why the author says "no stick shift" - maybe he meant the verb sense, not the noun sense, of that phrase.

Reactions: Zak

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC