Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any record of which VIN were test-driven in Bellevue before production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fondly recall signing up for a test-drive of a Tesla Roadster in Bellevue. This was held in the parking lot of a Sears store that had been closed for some time. I didn't know anything about VP or other VIN numbering schemes at the time, but now I'm wondering whether anyone has a record of which car(s) Tesla brought to Bellevue. These test drives were available only to folks who had put the $60,000 down payment on a Roadster, but you were allowed to invite a guest (which I did, of course). As far as I recall, this was before any of the Roadster 1.5 models shipped. I assume that it was a validation prototype, but I really don't know. Does anyone know?

If it was silver, good chance it was VP 10. That's the one that I drove as one of the first Signature 100 member drive opportunities in the hills near Tesla HQ on August 27, 2007.
VP 11 was definitely there that day (Thunder Gray). I can't recall if there was a second car. There was a different car planned but it had an issue on the way up North. It was a long couple of days for the team transporting the car.

• Informative
Reactions: S-2000 Roadster
by the time I got in the car, the 2-speed was locked into low. I recall them suggesting that I not change gears because it might not go back.
Thunder Gray seems right. I recall it wasn't bright.
I was one of the last test drivers, and I convinced them to let me take my Honda S2000 around the track after everyone was done. Very different without the traction control of the Tesla!

Reactions: im4uttx
Anybody remember the date? I could possibly find out if I haven't deleted the emails from that time.

DRIVE SLOT TIMES
Friday September 26th, 2008
5:00PM
6:00PM

Saturday September 27th, 2008
9:00AM
10:00AM
11:00AM
12:00AM
1:00PM <- my time slot

Sunday September 28th, 2008
9:00AM
10:00AM
11:00AM
12:00PM
1:00PM

Last edited:
This confirms my recollection that there was no shifting. But the gear shift was visible, so I don't know why the author says "no stick shift" - maybe he meant the verb sense, not the noun sense, of that phrase.

Reactions: Zak