Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Regrets on Buying the 5 Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were buying today, I'd still buy the 6 seater - it is very special IMO with the center aisle.

But if I were buying for utility, I would probably buy the 7 seater and just push the second row back and drive it like a five seater 99% of the time. IMO that is probably the best compromise at the moment for those wanting the best utility. The rear HVAC obviously factoring into that thinking for me.

No regrets here. I have wondered if at times if I should've gotten the six seater or waited for a seven seater. I like that the five seater is the most durable option. If one folds down the seven seater, I would be afraid of damage to the seat backs with hard braking. In the five seater, you have a traditional hard cloth back- zero issues with emergency braking as there is no plastic to damage.

The space has been far more valuable than the seats. I haven't had an issue with the HVAC; the five seater model X still has two more vents for the second row then the model S. Apparently the latest five seater has one "third" row vent that can be set to the passengers or cargo area.

No regrets here. I have wondered if at times if I should've gotten the six seater or waited for a seven seater. I like that the five seater is the most durable option. If one folds down the seven seater, I would be afraid of damage to the seat backs with hard braking. In the five seater, you have a traditional hard cloth back- zero issues with emergency braking as there is no plastic to damage.

The space has been far more valuable than the seats. I haven't had an issue with the HVAC; the five seater model X still has two more vents for the second row then the model S. Apparently the latest five seater has one "third" row vent that can be set to the passengers or cargo area.

I kind of feel the same. Six seater looks a lot better though....

If the third row seats fold down aren't the seatbacks of the second row the regular ones? No argument on the back of the third row- but with this row folded I think the 5 seater is better with hard stopping.

No, the new 7 seater second row seatbacks are similar to the 5 seater - i.e. fabric.

The only thing you really lose with the new 7 seater (compared to the 5 seater) is the middle trunk "storage compartment" - on the balance, you gain rear vents and fan, and a movable second row for a tad bit more trunk flexibility in that way.

Six seater is completely different, of course, second-row wise. It still has the "normal" seatbacks, though no longer glossy but matte...

No regrets (75D - 2500 miles in, delivered mid Oct/2017). Had to move withing New York City and having the car / all the storage space made it infinitely more convenient than last couple moves. Don't have wife/kids though, so just hauling around myself and golf clubs mostly. Such an awesome machine, its my absolute favorite thing in the world...

Here are some additional factors that may help people making a decision.
We have the six seat no console. Keep in mind, you will not fit two adults in the rear most seats. Those are for kids 10 and under IMO. Witho If cargo is an occasional concern, you can use a hitch mounted tray to carry additional cargo without impacting aerodynamics much. I also think its nice having pseudo captains chairs instead of a bench.

Another factor is we also have a giant 3 row SUV so if we really need folded seats and tons of space we can use that. The six seater also looks more exotic than a typical bench.