Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any regrets on cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wife and I are in love with the MX but the monthly cost is borderline over our comfort zone of spending.

We need a family vehicle (we have a 22 month old) , we currently have a prius and a Dodge 3500 dually (for the horses).

The prius simply doesn't cut it for the family and the Dodge fuel economy isn't very practical.

We're thinking to replace the prius with the MX but we could even replace the Dodge since the MX can tow.....

I'm curious if anyone is regretting the cost?

I have one on order, at first I thought it was a bit too much, then I thought YOLO!
I guess it comes down to how you can justify the costs and if it works with your own budget. I wouldn't stretch the budget, the X in my opinion is the future and being already a MS owner I am really looking forward to having X join the family. I can't see us driving anything other then a Tesla right now.

Bear in mind we pay double the price down here in Australia!

Once you have the X in your garage garage you'll feel as though you have made the right call. It's not just another car. You'll absolutely have no regrets

Reactions: ecrsail
Australia eh, my business is currently based in Australia, (I live in the US though)

I do feel the pain on price as well , AUD to USD really sucks atm, if the exchange rate gets better the tesla would be a lot easier to swallow.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to hear you have no regrets, I'm seeing that as the overall feeling from tesla owners, it's helping to push us to hit that order button.

The exchange rate doesn't help, although it's not too bad at the moment.

Yeah mate you'll definitely love it.
The Tesla that is, I'm going off my experience with the S (which im sure will be the same if not better with the X) I was very reluctant to purchase my S at first, now that I have had it for 3 months, I'm super happy with it and I feel I have made the right decision. The Tesla doesn't get old! In terms of the cost, I'm just driving the business harder in order to make up for this one indulgent purchase. ;)

I think it is common to have buyer;s remorse about spending more on a car than you normally would. However, once you take possession of your Tesla and start driving it the remorse is completely gone. If anything, you will be remorseful that you did not buy a Tesla sooner. :)

Will the X tow your horse trailer? If you option it properly the X can tow 5,000 lb. if I remember correctly. That is less than a 3500 dually and less than many horse trailers. Also be sure the max tongue weight for the X will be sufficient.

Good Luck with your X,

GSP

I would have never ever spent what I did on my X for any other brand and had many second thoughts between ordering and delivery but after delivery the joy the X brings to me everyday is worth the price and alot more. Like someone said somewhere, just the auto pilot is woth the price of admision. Never been in a car where after driving 4 hours I feel like its only been 1.

Reactions: xkwizit
When we originally ordered I had concerns about taking this much out of our saving account especially since we are retired. We bought the P90DL with all options so it was the most we had ever spent on a car. After it was delivered I have not had any concerns about the price.

Reactions: Saxena and xkwizit
Gregkeys, you probably won't like what I say here, but here goes:

I don't think that a car as expensive as the X should be bought by a family that can't write a check for the purchase price. If that's not something you can do, buy a CPO S, or a lower-priced new S (with tax incentives). I love my X, but with a young baby, you should not be climbing on board the hedonic treadmill unless you can afford it. Sorry bud, just my opinion.

ETA: btw, I am comfortable financially, but I sometimes wonder if I should have spent the $132k.

Reactions: umeshunni
Financially buying Model X was a terrible decision. There are so many things we could have done with that kind of money. But if I had to do it again, I would make the same decision. After we put our deposit down in October 2013 we started setting aside what would be our monthly payment for a sizable down payment. Between that and some annual bonuses we ended up with about 75% of the purchase price as a down payment. And the monthly payment on our 3 year loan is less than what we had been setting aside so we were already accustomed to the monthly cost.

Everyone will have an opinion on what you should or shouldn't do financially, but you need to decide what your priorities are yourself. Some people would rather have a bigger house, some would prefer to travel more, others may want to save up and retire early. Figure out what you are comfortable with budget wise and think about your opportunity cost of purchasing the vehicle and use that information to decide whether the cost is worth it to you.

Everyone that I give a significant test drive to says the car is definitely worth the money. I will never go back to ICE-based cars.

Assuming your horse trailer is within the weight limit of the car (< 5000 Lbs) how far do you need to tow it? Range is definitely impacted and if you need to regularly tow long distances, it might not be worth it. In my case, I just need to tow my boat from the storage location to the ramp twice a year so it's not a concern for me.

Reactions: madodel
Gregkeys, we had some similar concerns as you have mentioned. We have four children 6 and under, and occasionally I tow trailers with everything from mulch to my small loader/backhoe tractor.

I did the math on the cost. Here in Canada, a minivan with all wheel drive and 6-7 seats would be around $67,000 CDN. Our gas is pretty high right now as it is a target of taxation, and our power is 11 cents KWh. This gave me an anticipated savings of about $4300 per year using electricity instead of gas. Assuming a 10 year life span of the Tesla (and I anticipate a much longer useful life), and I can see about $110,000 to drive a minivan. Add in reduce servicing costs and you can see the additional cost for the Tesla is getting smaller.

I justified the additional cost over that with a combination of driving satisfaction and indulgence. We have had the Model X for about a month now and both my wife and I love it. It has returned the joy to driving, and we see it as an asset to our family time together.

I have not tried towing yet, mostly because I simply kept my truck and just use that the odd time I need to do something like move dirty and rough cargo, or anything else that might result in a ding or dent. I have not yet used up the half tank of gas that was left in truck yet.

I have had no second thoughts since taking delivery.

Enjoy your car when you get it.

Jon

I am taking delivery of my X tomorrow. The loan payment is twice the amount of my first mortgage payment. But its only money. I was born without any and will probably die without any but its all about how you lived! By they way, keep in mind when comparing luxury SUVs a Mercedes GL63 is $124k + with the same performance as a model X 90D. Even the less powerful GLS550 is $94k + so Tesla is not out of line at all.

Last edited:
no regrets...totally awesome vehicle....then again I paid cash and it wasn't a stretch; that said its not cheap, and certainly enough to give one pause....I for one am glad I'm supporting an amazing technology from an amazing company....if price is giving you pause I would suggest not buying-I've seen others for whom its a stretch become very dissatisfied by issues that may arise-if you expect perfection at this price point you'll be unhappy-the car stretches the boundaries and as such issues can arise (I've had none so far)....

No regrets on my first S, made the choice to upgrade to the refresh S very easy (impossible to go back to something else) and we are stretching to put wife and family in a X. Safer, faster, cleaner, no service hassle, no more gas station, and (providing no accident) more economical to operate. It is a game changer.

Reactions: madodel
I did the math on the cost. Here in Canada, a minivan with all wheel drive and 6-7 seats would be around $67,000 CDN.

What Minivan is that? Here in the US there aren't many AWD minivans but the Toyota Sienna is one of them. It looks like in Canada the Sienna AWD with 7 seats starts at $37,790 CDN. I don't disagree that Model X is worth it, but it seems like you may have skewed your math to favor the Tesla.

What Minivan is that? Here in the US there aren't many AWD minivans but the Toyota Sienna is one of them. It looks like in Canada the Sienna AWD with 7 seats starts at $37,790 CDN. I don't disagree that Model X is worth it, but it seems like you may have skewed your math to favor the Tesla.
That's how we do it here in Canada. We skew the math to justify our purchasing decisions. Otherwise, with our weak dollar, we wouldn't be buying anything.