Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any regrets with MX 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Deposit is down for the MX 60D and I'm about to get locked in. For those that also went with the 60D, any regrets. How is it living with the range on a day to day basis as well as road trips?

What kind of mileage are you typically getting assuming 100% charge?

I'm new to the forums and tried searching for other threads about the 60D but haven't found much.

Unrelated to the 60D specifically, how is he standard stereo in the MX? Was previously looking at a MS and felt the standard stereo was adaquate but not sure with the larger vehicle how it is.

Any info is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

I doubt if any X60Ds have been delivered yet. 75Ds are just starting to get delivered the last couple weeks - all ordered well before the 60D became an option.

However, it doesn't seem like there's much risk involved - if the 60 isn't enough, you can always upgrade to 75 over the air - maybe using the federal tax credit money to cover it.

We also ordered a Model X 60D. Right now we have an I3 and a LEAF. As is we haven't had the need to drive more than 100 miles in a day (we take the I3 on the 100 mile days and use the REX...a whole 16 gallons in 20K miles).

My thinking with the 60D....it's really a 75D battery...so charging to 100% is fine as we aren't really using all the battery anyway. After 2 years 20K miles on the I3 I've seen no degradation in battery. In 2 years and 23K miles in the LEAF we've lost a bar. Both have charged to 100% since new. Only real difference is the liquid cooled I3 vs air cooled LEAF.

Back to the 60D. If we really need another 37 or so miles we can pay for the upgrade, but I seriously doubt needing it.

Reactions: ggnykk
I had last minute reservations before my order finalized in July for the 60D. But, I am kinda reassured that in future, there will be more superchargers. There will be more adoption nationwide for more chargers for electric vehicles. Once the model 3 rolls out in 2-3 years, there will be a ton more electric cars and gas stations will soon be adding electric chargers to capture this new market. Also big car companies too will be rolling out chargers. by 2020, we will see more electric cars become mainstream with the luxury brands (porsche, bmw, mercedes, audi, lexus coming out with their own versions).

Recently California announced they are adding 7000 new chargers around the north and central cal area. I think more states will do so too.

We also ordered a Model X 60D. Right now we have an I3 and a LEAF. As is we haven't had the need to drive more than 100 miles in a day (we take the I3 on the 100 mile days and use the REX...a whole 16 gallons in 20K miles).

My thinking with the 60D....it's really a 75D battery...so charging to 100% is fine as we aren't really using all the battery anyway. After 2 years 20K miles on the I3 I've seen no degradation in battery. In 2 years and 23K miles in the LEAF we've lost a bar. Both have charged to 100% since new. Only real difference is the liquid cooled I3 vs air cooled LEAF.

Back to the 60D. If we really need another 37 or so miles we can pay for the upgrade, but I seriously doubt needing it.

I agree with your line of thinking and hope it's the case with the 60d and 100% but the reason you aren't seeing any degradation in the battery of your i3 is because Bmw does not allow the battery to charge fully and also does not allow it to go full discharge either. Our Teslas allow us full reign if we want to charge to 100%. BMW has the battery software limited for long term reliability of their batteries.

When the BMW is fully discharged, there is still a lot of energy stored but is unusable. At least that is what a tech told me.

I order the 60D as well, figure it should be fine based on my typical driving, but can always unlock 40 more miles if need be. Also hoping that Tesla will call with a discount to unlock the battery in the future since it's money they'd want to get out of me that would otherwise not be going to them.

The only part of the 60D range that worries me is winter driving and how much range loss will occur per trip...

Nov, because I wanted to push it out hoping I will get auto pilot 2.0 hardware but in time in case the delivery slides a bit it is still this year for tax reasons

Fair.. I am also waiting for a 60D. Did you get high amp charger?

Latest rumor that I am hoping is that P100DL will be shipped with 2.0 and so everything after that gets it.. First ones of those get delivered mid Sept... I am estimated at a 10/15 delivery.

Nov, because I wanted to push it out hoping I will get auto pilot 2.0 hardware but in time in case the delivery slides a bit it is still this year for tax reasons

I considered pushing back to Jan 17 to have a "'17" model for resale value... but i guess tax a year later is one negative (along with no getting car earlier). Was also hoping for folding down seats to come out.

tax credit also gets phased out once tesla sells a certain number of cars so I wasn't sure if all the tax credit would be there by the end of next year, especially if any significant number of the model three is produced next year.

didn't bother with high amp charger because I want to see how well it works as is and then can add the software update to high amp charging after the fact if I find that I want quicker level 2 / destination charges

tax credit also gets phased out once tesla sells a certain number of cars so I wasn't sure if all the tax credit would be there by the end of next year, especially if any significant number of the model three is produced next year.

didn't bother with high amp charger because I want to see how well it works as is and then can add the software update to high amp charging after the fact if I find that I want quicker level 2 / destination charges
I meant Jan 17 vs Nov 16... credit would still be there then

I meant Jan 17 vs Nov 16... credit would still be there then

Yeah, seems like Tesla will hit the 200,000 vehicle phase out next year in 2017. We are around roughly VIN 160,000 on Model S already or more, and 15 to 20,000 on Model X. Roadsters were say 1-2000 right? That totals very roughly around 180-190,000 total electric Tesla's (all models) on the road. Conservatively say that is what is delivered this year.

If Tesla hits 200,000 even in Q1 2017 which seems likely at latest, then the 1 year (4 quarter phase out begins). It seems those first two quarters of 2017 Q1 and Q2 if purchased (delivered with Tesla to owner) the owner get 50% of the, Q3 25%, and then done in Q4.

Thus:
Q1 2017 & Q2 2017 DELIVERIES will be eligible for $3,750 tax credit
Q3 2017 DELIVERIES eligible for $1,875 tax credit
Q4 2017 DELIVERIES eligible for $0 tax credit.

Kinda means that an order has to be in soon perhaps to beat the 200K mark. I wouldn't expect any Model 3s to be eligible for a tax credit obviously.

Seem right?

• Disagree
Reactions: Dr Doom

Correct, the count is on US deliveries... per your link "This has been beaten to death, multiple times here on the forum. The big unknown is how fast Tesla will ramp up US deliveries of the Model S and Model X."

I didn't want to worry about that... if we're at 90k US deliveries so far who knows...

I was hoping for the same. Our software limited pack on our Model S is 3+ years old and the upgrade is still $10K. Heck if we want to enable supercharging that's another $3K.

I am super interested to know that if you enable the extra battery level at this point 3 years later will you see the total extra EPA range under ideal conditions?

What was range when you started and what is it now 3 years later? any degradation?

I am super interested to know that if you enable the extra battery level at this point 3 years later will you see the total extra EPA range under ideal conditions?

What was range when you started and what is it now 3 years later? any degradation?

No significant degradation. There were several firmware updates that changed the calculation of rated miles, that makes comparing the new versus current rated miles a bit skewed. We see 130-132 rated miles on our 40kw limited pack every single day. We can only charge to the maximum 68% on our software limited to "40" but actual 60kw packs.

To buy the $10K upgrade is financially a bit foolish since the pack has depreciated but to upgrade would require us to pay full retail. A 85kw car would have depreciated a full 40-50%. It's cheaper to buy a CPO 85kw that has depreciated the pack than to pay the $10K to just get to 60kw.

If Tesla ever allows to us buy "upgraded" packs say a new 90 or 100, that $10k would be better spent buying a whole new pack.