Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reviews for either the ChargePoint 32A NEMA 60-50 or JuiceBox 40A NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There may be posts out there that discuss each of these, but I thought it might be helpful to re-up the question and crowdsource feedback and reviews for both since Dominion Energy in Virginia (and maybe other states) list these two as the only options for their $125 rebate. I'm a new Tesla owner (2020 Model 3 Standard+) and am exploring many charging options at my townhouse with no garage (but the parking spot is about 10 ft from my outside outlet).

I know there are many other options for upgrading the outlet, but I'm trying to compare EV chargers. Dominion does allow other models from these two companies but they only qualify for the annual $40 rebate.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Generic chargers are pretty lousy for charging Teslas when compared to the vastly superior and much less expensive Tesla Wall Connector, which is still cheaper even with all the anti-Tesla incentives factored in.

But to answer your question, I use the Chargepoint at work. It's fine. It's slow (only 200V at work), it's clunky with the moronically designed J1772 crap thing, and it breaks down every couple of years.

I don’t see why you’d bother spending more money, even after the supposed rebate, vs. simply buying a Tesla wall connector for $500.
The wall connectors above offered by the electric company are around the same price point and offer a yearly rebate of $40, which I wouldn’t get with the Tesla wall charger. Plus, if I understand things, the ones offered by the company will allow for charging during low-cost hours based on the specific utility market. Is there something I’m missing that the Tesla charger offers that these wouldn’t?

Reactions: Rocky_H
The 25 foot cord on the Juicebox and the 14-50 plug are beefier then anything i’ve seen on the ChargePoints.
Going on four years zero issues.

Attachments

• B4CC82A0-3E2D-465C-9FED-A31A1878577A.jpeg
    B4CC82A0-3E2D-465C-9FED-A31A1878577A.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 93
I have the Chargepoint home flex charger that we use to charge my sons car (Hyundai ionic). Works great, no issues. It has a 23 ft cable, which is fine for our needs. At the time I got it, it was around $600, so a little more expensive than the juice box was. Ive read lots of bad reviews on the juice box though, which is why I went with the Chargepoint ultimately.

It will work to charge the Tesla (with the adapter), but i just use the mobile connector to charge my Tesla. We have 2 NEMA 14-50 outlets, so keep the Tesla mobile charger on one, and the Chargepoint on the other.

Installation and set up for the Chargepoint was pretty straigforward, and it has a decent app, though we set up the scheduling through my sons car rather than the app.

Reactions: NewestEVOwner
I'm happy with the JuiceBox.

Plus: It's handy with scheduling, it figures out when the grid is on the lowest-cost and greenest energy, and it can implement a max-charge % for our Leaf.

Minus: I had to watch the company's videos to learn the app UI, connecting it to the WiFi takes more steps than it should, and of course it needs the Tesla J1772 adaptor.

Q. How much idle power do these different EVSEs draw?

Been using the Juicebox 40 hardwired for a couple months now. My local utility offers a Chargepoint or Juicebox on some special deal thing to choose from.

Don't have any issues, it's easy to use. Have it set for time of use overnight and the car starts charging at 1AM

Attachments

• 20210823_161640.jpg
    20210823_161640.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Stan930