TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any risk that 5-seater will be delayed so long and not be eligible for tax credit?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by fbitz777, Jul 15, 2016.

1. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

I am still sticking to my plan to get the 5-seater that I ordered in April but today I got an email from my Sales Advisor asking me to upgrade to 6 or 7 seat to push my delivery to Fall 2016. He was nice enough to mention that they'd wave the $500 change fee. He was also nice enough to mention that no 5 seaters will be delivered in 2016. I am totally not in a hurry to get my X sot that is not an issue.

Anyhow I am wondering if Tesla will have produced 200k Teslas (S,X, 3's) by the time my 5-seater is delivered and then
    the Fed tax credits are phased out.

That would be a major issue also for people who lease the car and lease payments would jump when tax credits go away..

My neighbor reserved a Model 3 last week and was surprised to hear he would not likely get the tax credit. However in the case of Model 3 Tesla is not making a representation on the reservation site as they do for the Model X.

2. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

This would be highly unlikely. The 5 seat Model X will certainly be delivered before Model 3. At the earliest it is estimated Tesla might hit 200,000 cars in Q4 2017. All deliveries through the end of Q1 2018 would be eligible for the tax credit.

• Helpful x 1
  3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Remember that the relevant number for the US Federal tax credit is cars sold in the US, not all Teslas sold everywhere. Their total US sales are only around 70,000 so far, so they have a very long way to go.