Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any risks ordering inventory cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am seeing that “new”inventory cars are priced less than custom orderer cars with exact same configurations. So, I was wondering any specific reasons as to why inventory cars are less price and also if there is any risk in ordering “new” inventory cars versus custom cars ? Are the inventory cars showroom cars or cars with issues fixed?

Reactions: cdub
Hi All,
I am seeing that “new”inventory cars are priced less than custom orderer cars with exact same configurations. So, I was wondering any specific reasons as to why inventory cars are less price and also if there is any risk in ordering “new” inventory cars versus custom cars ? Are the inventory cars showroom cars or cars with issues fixed?
Tesla needs to deliver cars and if they are in inventory, they can get them to you sooner. They got a quarter to meet.

Inventory cars are those produced for custom orders but then rejected by the customer for whatever reason. Many people order and then don't take delivery because they have a change of heart, because of changes in financial situation, or because interest rates go up too much during the wait. Tesla discounts inventory cars because they take longer to sell than custom-order units and Tesla may not have much inventory space. If there's a configuration in inventory that you want, go for it. The only difference between this and a new car is a couple of days sitting on the lot.

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex
Inventory cars are those produced for custom orders but then rejected by the customer for whatever reason.
Perhaps sometimes but this is a tiny tiny minority of inventory vehicles.

Tesla makes cars in batches. Lots of those cars end up as inventory vehicles, particularly in time of softening demand. They haven’t truly made “custom ordered” cars in years.

I think the discount is simply a way to offer a discount while also abiding by company policy to “not discount”. They’ve done stuff like this many times in the past.

If you go to a Tesla dealership you can browse upcoming inventory cars. Some still in order, some in production, some on the way. Only the dealership has access to this info so you have to be there. When you go test drive, ask them what new inventory vehicles they are getting and you can browse together, if you find one you want, you can reserve. Quicker than ordering custom. Only risk is losing your deposit if you cancel your order.

Last edited:
If you go to a Tesla dealership you can browse upcoming inventory cars. Some still in order, some in production, some on the way. Only the dealership has access to this info so you have to be there. When you go test drive, ask them what new inventory vehicles they are getting and you can browse together, if you find one you want, you can reserve. Quicker than ordering custom. Only risk is losing your deposit if you cancel your order.
but you will loose the inventory discount in that case.

Picked up an inventory car yesterday. If the renders are close to the real thing, looks kinda like a new Prius. Also, if rumors are true, I’d prefer stalks. I’d expect the prices to be higher for the new models, too. Between the inventory discount and federal/state rebates, it was hard to pass up.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Picked up an inventory car yesterday. If the renders are close to the real thing, looks kinda like a new Prius. Also, if rumors are true, I’d prefer stalks. I’d expect the prices to be higher for the new models, too. Between the inventory discount and federal/state rebates, it was hard to pass up.
Thanks for the feedback. Kinda my thought as well.