Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any rumors on adding to or upgrading the battery on a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SR+ bought last May. I really enjoy the Tesla experience and don’t mind stopping to charge on trips. And I am happy with my decision with the SR+ purchase and the price point. But there are times that an extra 50-100 miles would really come in handy. Any rumors about Tesla allowing current owners to upgrade their battery with added cells or swap out for a better pack? Not now, of course but a few years down the road perhaps?

As battery technology gets better adding range while cost is reduced, it would be wonderful to think that your current M3 could be upgraded with a battery swap. I know some would think Just buy a new car. But it would be a terrible shame to sell off the current M3 built to last a million miles just for an additional 100 mile range.

Just buy a new car.

Tesla has never offered anything like what you're asking on any of their real mass production vehicles (2012 S or newer)- and it'd make no sense for them to do it- they're already shorter on batteries than they would like to be to meet basic new car demand, and already shorter on service center locations and time than they would like to service existing cars.

They DID offer it for the roadster, as those were never made in large #s anyway, but it was $29,000 and hasn't been available in quite some time.

Last edited:
Not from Tesla, but there are third-party shops that will do battery upgrades for Model s. In a few years when there are lots of post warranty model 3 out there, I suspect those same third-party shops will offer model 3 upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Not from Tesla, but there are third-party shops that will do battery upgrades for Model s. In a few years when there are lots of post warranty model 3 out there, I suspect those same third-party shops will offer model 3 upgrades.

The Model 3 drive units and batteries will have to be jailbroken first. At the moment, it's not possible to swap either the battery or the motors outside of a Tesla approved shop. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, and when it does, the resale and salvage auction value will likely see a huge uptick.

The Model 3 drive units and batteries will have to be jailbroken first. At the moment, it's not possible to swap either the battery or the motors outside of a Tesla approved shop. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, and when it does, the resale and salvage auction value will likely see a huge uptick.

Yeah... Tesla really locked down their hardware with the Model 3. The drive unit(s) will only work with its paired battery unless you flash a compatible firmware (which only Tesla can do). I was super impressed when I heard this since it means the car actually does authentication between components. That's actually rare in the auto world believe it or not.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Tesla to offer this kind of service anytime soon. From a Product management POV this is such a small market that just won't pay off when they have things like Model Y and the trucks to work on.

I would also not hold out on Tesla offering a service to add modules to SR+ packs and make them LR packs. The cell balancing there would be really annoying to do and honestly not something you'd want anyway- degradation would probably speed up quite a bit even with the BMS that they have.

Even if Tesla were to offer such an upgrade, it would be cost prohibitive. You'd be better off getting a new longer range Tesla with newer battery cell technology and features. On the other hand, since you feel it's wasteful to swap your perfectly good car for a new one just to satisfy the rare occasions when you may want a bit more range, keep in mind that Tesla's Supercharger network, as well as third party ones, will continue to expand over time. This should ameliorate concerns about range anxiety or overcrowded stations.

But it would be a terrible shame to sell off the current M3 built to last a million miles just for an additional 100 mile range.

Why is it a shame? It isn't like your SR+ would go into a landfill. Someone else that maybe couldn't afford a new SR+ would buy it which would likely displace another ICE car and they could continue to drive it for a long time.

My guess is charging stations will become as common as gas stations within a few years making the range of your SR+ a lot less of a concern. I could be wrong, but I hope not. EVs were considered impractical just a few years ago, now they are becoming mainstream. In Alabama, a very conservative state, I am seeing more and more electric cars on the road and the state is planning to expand charging stations.

Reactions: Bblsttx
I think the idea of replaceable and upgrade able EV batteries makes sense.

Eventually, Tesla and other manufacturers will need to design cars with service and recycling in mind. The idea of disposable cars doesn’t make sense for the “mission”. Will be a big issue when annual production gets in the millions.

I don’t think cars should become cellphones. Far too many resources are consumed to make them.

Eventually, Tesla and other manufacturers will need to design cars with service and recycling in mind. The idea of disposable cars doesn’t make sense for the “mission”. Will be a big issue when annual production gets in the millions.

I don’t think cars should become cellphones. Far too many resources are consumed to make them.

Tesla already recycles the batteries and has for years.... (they used to use 3rd parties, but now recycle them directly at GF1 in Nevada)

Why is it a shame? It isn't like your SR+ would go into a landfill. Someone else that maybe couldn't afford a new SR+ would buy it which would likely displace another ICE car and they could continue to drive it for a long time.

The ‘mission’ for me is to save money.

I agree the car should not be like a cellphone. The current battery has value. If it is cost effective to swap out and trade in the pack and upgrade, it certainly could be beneficial to the owner. It just depends on the price point.

The ‘mission’ for me is to save money.

I agree the car should not be like a cellphone. The current battery has value. If it is cost effective to swap out and trade in the pack and upgrade, it certainly could be beneficial to the owner. It just depends on the price point.

What’s wrong with selling the car to someone else who will get use out of it? Seems like the logistics would be easier than trying to do a battery swap on a car that wasn’t designed for easy battery swaps.

It’s win-win. You get a new, full warranty vehicle with longer range and someone else gets into an electric car that meets their needs for an affordable price, thus expanding EV adoption.

If Tesla could swap your pack for a larger one, what would they do with your old pack? How do you propose they scale that to a global solution that doesn’t involve a ton of waste or increased logistics on their part?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a SR+ bought last May. I really enjoy the Tesla experience and don’t mind stopping to charge on trips. And I am happy with my decision with the SR+ purchase and the price point. But there are times that an extra 50-100 miles would really come in handy. Any rumors about Tesla allowing current owners to upgrade their battery with added cells or swap out for a better pack? Not now, of course but a few years down the road perhaps?

As battery technology gets better adding range while cost is reduced, it would be wonderful to think that your current M3 could be upgraded with a battery swap. I know some would think Just buy a new car. But it would be a terrible shame to sell off the current M3 built to last a million miles just for an additional 100 mile range.

I was also wondering for the SR M3, any ways to upgrade in the future with purchase to unlock range to an SR+ level?

I was also wondering for the SR M3, any ways to upgrade in the future with purchase to unlock range to an SR+ level?

I wouldn't put it past Tesla to make something like this available. Since they've already made features available for equipment we already had and didn't know it. I.e. the heated seats for 300 bucks. What I would like to see is some love given to the 3 like they have done with the x and s where they got more range with improved software.