Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any S drivers think they might prefer the smaller 3?

Are you a S driver that would rather drive a 3?

• Yep... I'm moving to a 3

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Thought about it... maybe

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • No... I like big trunks and I cannot lie ;)

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S is too big for many places in Europe.

Due to the width, we have to drive in the right lane (together with the slow trucks) on most construction sites on the Autobahn - and there are many of them. It was really dangerous on italian countryside roads. Very little space. The same can be said of parts of Spain and elsewhere. The medeival roads were not built for modern US size cars.

Model 3 will do good in Europe. Personally I will buy one, but eventually I will have to get rid of one of the Teslas (Roadster, S or X).

In my opinion, at this point we know essentially nothing about the "next Roadster" except that it will be a small sports car type vehicle. It will certainly be far smaller than even a "slightly shorter 2 door version of the Model S".
As the term has been used historically in reference to cars, a "roadster" is a 2-seat vehicle with an open top. It could be a convertible, or have a fixed rear support for a removable roof.

A "coupe" is a 4-seater with only 2 doors.

A "2+2" has 2 doors and 4 seats but the rear seats are not able to accommodate average size adults, they are smaller.

We do not know what the next Tesla Roadster will be like, or even if it will technically be a "roadster" style vehicle. Nor do we know if Tesla will use the Gen II platform they are developing for the Model 3 as the basis for their next sports car.

A Model S coupe would be basically the same size as the current S but have only 2 doors that would be longer than the front doors in the current S. There is no indication from Tesla that the S will ever be offered in coupe format.

I agree that we basically know nothing about Tesla's plans beyond the Model-3. One nit on your definitions, many coupes have different dimensions than their full size brethren (e.g. Infiniti G35 and G35 Coupe were very distinct). Just having longer doors doesn't really work on most models. Regardless, whether it be a Coupe, 2+2 or true two seater, we really don't have any insight into what is next after the Model-3. Peace.

Agreed , which is why I suspect the 2009 article saying that Elon said Tesla would build a 2+2 sports car after the Model S is inaccurate. I doubt he said that.
They're doing exactly what Elon Musk said here in 2006 though. The master plan was basically Roadster > Model S > Model 3. The next roadster or 2+2 is probably still on the way, it's just that they're behind on their initial timeline for releases.

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) | Tesla Motors

No. I can barely fit in the drivers area of a Model S, no way I am going smaller.

Depends on the design. I'm a big guy and need to use an all-extremes 'Exit' profile to remotely get into and out of the Model S, and even getting in/out of the passenger seat is quite a painful process.

However, I also have a Leaf and it's very easy for me to get into and out of that, even though the Leaf is much smaller than the Model S.

The only thing I dislike about the S is how wide it is. All the local parking spaces are now "compact" or really narrow. I don't enjoy having to park the beast.

So hey if I could trade in the S and get a Model 3 with all the same features without putting in any money, it is a consideration. Or if there are things that are better than what I have now (e.g. more range)...

Unsure. I don't like big cars, but I'm getting used to the S. We're thinking about picking up a Model 3 "for my wife" (aka I'll take the 3, and she gets the S), but I guess it depends on the specs of the 3.

Like a lot of others, I bought the only fully electric on the market that could serve my needs. It's a terrific car, but it's wide. I'd like a narrower car and I'd like a wider driver door....so I'm one of those that's hoping the Model 3 comes in a 2+2 or coupe.

(I like the boxy look of BMW 3 series and would hope the 3 is reminiscent of that. In my fantasy, there would be at least 3 body styles built on the model 3 chassis: 4 door sedan, 2 door coupe, both of which would be BMW-boxy, and next gen roadster, which would be almost as low as the old roadster)

-Snortybartfast

I LOVE our S, but it is on the expensive side. It's the most we've paid for a car and the first time we've ever leased. I wouldn't want to own a specific Tesla for more than a few years due to the quickly emerging tech. If the 3 rolls out as planned, it'll be the perfect car for us in Arizona. Then we can afford to load it up like our S and not have a car payment that people think should be a mortgage. lol

Tesla was supposed to do a Model-R to replace the Roadster. It was going to be a 2+2 configuration. When I look at the new Buick Avista Concept - that is exactly what I want from Tesla (with the Tesla drivetrain/technology). I think the Model 3 will be made to appeal to an even smaller segment.

http://www.buick.com/content/dam/Buick/north_america/usa/nscwebsite/en/home/models/view_all_vehicles/reveals/Avista_Concept_Coupe/2016-buick-concept-avista-landing-page-masthead-1920x730.jpg

WOW! I never thought I would like a Buick again !! LOL Make it a Tesla convertible and I'll take 2.

Tesla was supposed to do a Model-R to replace the Roadster. It was going to be a 2+2 configuration. When I look at the new Buick Avista Concept - that is exactly what I want from Tesla (with the Tesla drivetrain/technology). I think the Model 3 will be made to appeal to an even smaller segment.

http://www.buick.com/content/dam/Bu...ept-avista-landing-page-masthead-1920x730.jpg
I'm not sure what you mean here. The S is a high-end luxury flagship model that hits a very small segment of the population that can afford it. The Model 3 will be the "Honda Accord" of Tesla. How in the world would that be made to appeal to a smaller segment? That comment is very confusing. This would be the mass market vehicle for Tesla. I think everyone would agree.

Depends on the design. I'm a big guy and need to use an all-extremes 'Exit' profile to remotely get into and out of the Model S, and even getting in/out of the passenger seat is quite a painful process.

However, I also have a Leaf and it's very easy for me to get into and out of that, even though the Leaf is much smaller than the Model S.

Exactly, this is why I will look at a Model 3. I sat in an X recently and if I could afford to trade for one I would, just for the ease of entry, plus the improved seat comfort.

Right now at CA house I have MS and eGolf. If Model 3 is smaller with eGolf like handling and Tesla amenities and range, it is the jackpot. I don't need an S anymore. But I've depreciated enough that there's no sense in getting rid of the S, I'll keep it at least until battery/du warranties run out. Maybe longer.

I've had large sedans before, but I prefer cars the size of the bmw 3 series, which I have also owned in the past. I couldn't wait another 2-3 yrs for the Tesla Model 3 and wanted to go electric. I decided to lease the S and in 3 yrs buy a model 3 assuming it's design is as attractive as the S.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The S is a high-end luxury flagship model that hits a very small segment of the population that can afford it. The Model 3 will be the "Honda Accord" of Tesla. How in the world would that be made to appeal to a smaller segment? That comment is very confusing. This would be the mass market vehicle for Tesla. I think everyone would agree.

Sorry - I meant to say it would be targeted to those buyers looking for a "smaller car", which may very well be a mass market. It seems like most of the EV in that price range are small vehicles, not only in length, but also narrower. If you look at the Bolt, i3, and Leaf they are all in the compact car segment. My fear is that the Model 3 would do the same. Would be great if the M3 was a mid-sized sedan. I guess we won't know until Tesla releases more information.

Sorry - I meant to say it would be targeted to those buyers looking for a "smaller car", which may very well be a mass market. It seems like most of the EV in that price range are small vehicles, not only in length, but also narrower. If you look at the Bolt, i3, and Leaf they are all in the compact car segment. My fear is that the Model 3 would do the same. Would be great if the M3 was a mid-sized sedan. I guess we won't know until Tesla releases more information.
Ah! I figured there was something I didn't get with your comment. I hope that it's not going to follow the 'thin' concept that we see with the i3 and Bolt. I love how the S is low and wide. Such a great characteristic. But you're right, we won't know until March...