Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any SAFE extension cords for either Wall Connector or Nema 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
Currently, I charge my P3D at home with a Gen2 HPWC. I also have a Nema 14-50 outlet as a backup.

Next month, I am going to have my driveway replaced. For a week or two, I will not be able to pull into my driveway and charge. Are there any SAFE extension cords on the market that can be used to safely charge my Tesla for either the HPWC or for the Nema 14-50 outlet?

Or should I just plan on relying on either Superchargers or public J-1772 connectors during this time?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
joebruin77

unless your wall connector is one that has a pigtail on the end of it, instead of being hard wired, there isnt any extension cord for the cord end that I am aware of.

There are 14-50 extension cords, you would just need to buy one robust enough, made specifically for 14-50. Those are not cheap, relatively speaking.

Looking on amazon for example, I see 14-50 extension cords for 25 feet around 100 ish dollars. It will likely be much cheaper to simply use a supercharger from a cost perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: joebruin77
I bought one of these:
and have been using it daily for 3 years. It's well made and has the appropriate gauge of wiring, so I'm perfectly comfortable with it. The same brand has several different lengths, but adding length gets pricey pretty quickly.

For me, I used it to help string the UMC up over the ceiling to get to the other side of the car, and hang the connector right at the charging outlet. Makes it real convenient to plug in/unplug.

• Informative
Reactions: joebruin77
there isnt any extension cord for the cord end that I am aware of.
Well, there is an extension for the Tesla plug handle end. If there's anything like this, it's going to be EVSEAdapters that makes it. It's about 3 to 4 hundred dollars, though.

Otherwise, yeah, I have one of the Camco 14-50 extension cords like @Frank99 linked to, but mine is the 30 feet length. They are very robust and reliable, but kind of stiff and very heavy to wrangle with. Pretty good solution though.

Well, there is an extension for the Tesla plug handle end. If there's anything like this, it's going to be EVSEAdapters that makes it. It's about 3 to 4 hundred dollars, though.

Otherwise, yeah, I have one of the Camco 14-50 extension cords like @Frank99 linked to, but mine is the 30 feet length. They are very robust and reliable, but kind of stiff and very heavy to wrangle with. Pretty good solution though.

Thanks @Rocky_H . Now I am "aware of an extension for the tesla end" (lol).