Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any safety benefits of Model 3 AWD in Australia under normal driving conditions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was driving in Calgary many years ago in my AWD Subaru, I learned very quickly that you can easily spin out if you don't respect icy conditions. There's really only so much AWD can do. It's not about chains, it's not about AWD, it's about HOW you drive the car more than anything else. 100% agreed.
Completely agree. I like having AWD, but the laws of physics still apply, and breaking them can come with capital penalties.

Hi All,

So I've been on the fence with my Model 3 order and not sure if I should stick to the RWD or go with the LR for the AWD drive train.

If comparing an RWD and AWD under normal driving conditions (as in taking turns at reasonable speeds under the speed limit etc.) is there going to be a noticeable difference in handling and safety?

Likewise for driving in the rain we get in Australia, is there going to be a noticeable difference in handling and safety?

I've seen a lot of mention about AWD being better for driving where it snows but it never snows in South Australia.

It's an $18,000 AUD difference for me since I will get the EV rebates with the RWD but not with the LR. I don't mind the price gap if it means I get a safer car that handles better since I'll often have my wife and kids as passengers.

Has anyone driven both Model 3 RWD and AWD versions and can comment?

Thanks!
I've found it quite difficult to break traction in a rwd. Wet roads haven't ever presented a problem and while I've managed to get the back end out once or twice on gravel it was only by trying hard to do just that.
Personally I wouldn't trade the additional weight with the same suspension for the edge case where it might be valuable.