Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Satisfaction at your SC - rear paint damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you, I sustained damage on my rear rocker panels before I got smart and added PPF and mud flaps. I just received the dreaded "Tesla does not cover damage from external sources" cop out from my SC. And of course, they are trying to cancel my service appt. Has anyone's SC acknowledged, and remedied this defect?

Like many of you, I sustained damage on my rear rocker panels before I got smart and added PPF and mud flaps. I just received the dreaded "Tesla does not cover damage from external sources" cop out from my SC. And of course, they are trying to cancel my service appt. Has anyone's SC acknowledged, and remedied this defect?

Do I have this straight? You are asking Tesla to do body work/fix your rear because you damaged it driving it with road rocks? They aint going to do anything for you. I pick dup my car with paint issues and they didnt want to do anything for me. Once you take delivery - they are done with body damage as it happened under your ownership. If you are angling that the design of the car caused you to kick up rocks - that will not fly either.

Do I have this straight? You are asking Tesla to do body work/fix your rear because you damaged it driving it with road rocks? They aint going to do anything for you. I pick dup my car with paint issues and they didnt want to do anything for me. Once you take delivery - they are done with body damage as it happened under your ownership. If you are angling that the design of the car caused you to kick up rocks - that will not fly either.
You might want to read through the numerous threads. Some SCs have acknowledged this flaw and paid for repair, some haven't. I've got an appt today and I'll post the outcome. The slightly wider wheels/tires on the Model Y Performance exacerbate the problem, but it seems all Model Ys are sustaining damage to the area just in front of the rear tire from normal road debris.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My service center covered the body work to fix chips on the rear door strike area. I had the issue and reported it via app within 48 hours of taking delivery, so that may be a difference. I may have also lucked out with a really excellent service advisor, who has been very responsive on all issues.

My service center covered the body work to fix chips on the rear door strike area. I had the issue and reported it via app within 48 hours of taking delivery, so that may be a difference. I may have also lucked out with a really excellent service advisor, who has been very responsive on all issues.
I too have a very good SC with great service on our Model S for several years. Today, I had a very knowledgable advisor but at this point - 6months into ownership - all he could offer was admitting that it was a design flaw (!) and escalating my issue to Tesla engineering. He has done this for 7 or 8 local owners and tells me that with enough data points he thinks Tesla may eventually provide some relief. So - go to your dealer and be a data point!
On the positive side - he did give me the Model X/Y brake controller pigtail for free.

My issue is even worse. The leading edge of the rear door sticks out from the rear edge of the front door. There is no paint left on the leading edge of either rear door now for the bottom 8 inches of the door. They said it was not their problem because I drive on roads with rocks. Pretty bad that they could not get the doors on correctly. I have a somewhat early one though with the 17,xxx VIN.