Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any side effects to where inverters/batteries are placed in the home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this is easy to find information and from what I have found the answer seems to be there is no worry but just trying to cover all my bases. Also full disclosure I’m not even getting a Tesla system, I attempted to but months went by without communication so I’m going with a local dealer, he also says what I’m about to ask is fine. it seems the easiest place to install the inverter and six small batteries would be on the other side of where my power connections are now but inside the garage. Which is a fine location my only issue is I’ve converted the garage into a game room and no one sleeps in there or anyways but for all I tents and purposes is it safe? Both my family and I spend a decent amount of time in there, or perhaps to be safe it can be enclosed by something?

It has been covered in some detail in other threads. One of the resident experts @Vines or @wwhitney is probably best able to answer this.
My quick recollection (based on their great posts) is that installation in living spaces is not allowed, but the ultimate authority is your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

You can try these for more information;
Santa Clara County retroactively Changing ESS Rules

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
It has been covered in some detail in other threads. One of the resident experts @Vines or @wwhitney is probably best able to answer this.
My quick recollection (based on their great posts) is that installation in living spaces is not allowed, but the ultimate authority is your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

You can try these for more information;
Santa Clara County retroactively Changing ESS Rules

All the best,

BG
Great info here but wanted to emphasize it is up to your local authority ( as @BGbreeder pointed out ) .. I believe these references are all for certain counties in CA (i apologize if incorrect I'm going from memory of threads) .. even within CA there are many much less restrictive jurisdictions .. I have dealt with AZ on a few moderate home improvement projects including electrical and they have very few regulations compared to CA .. some counties could of course differ but generally this holds

Reactions: BGbreeder
Some people have installed them in basements and other spaces where they habitat. It is likely a function of local codes.
Ours are in the basement as we're pretty far north and have unconditioned garages. Well, so is the basement but that usually stays between 50-60F and there's a Modine unit if we will be in there for a while (game room).

Thank you for all of your replies, it seems where I am located this is not going to be an issue. But besides a possible fire hazard, I do have a smoke and co detector in the garage, no other possible issues? As I said the garage is now a game room so family is often there, no reports of harmful “rays” or anything from the equipment? Inverter, batteries?

Thank you for all of your replies, it seems where I am located this is not going to be an issue. But besides a possible fire hazard, I do have a smoke and co detector in the garage, no other possible issues? As I said the garage is now a game room so family is often there, no reports of harmful “rays” or anything from the equipment? Inverter, batteries?
not unless you are on the electromagnetic train ... but in that case not sure why you would have electricity in your home at all ... think saul goodman's brother ;)

Just wondering cause of the concentration especially with the batteries, excuse me for my ignorance, and the electromagnetic train? Just in case that joke is brought but again what’s the reference? Lol

So the other counties that don’t install in living spaces what’s the reason? Fire code?

sorry i was referencimg the fear some ppl have of electromagnetic energy .. basically and oversimplifying it anything with an electical charge radiates this as a function of the distance and the energy level so for some being anywhere near something like a powerwall would freak them out ( also this type of energy hits the earth constantly with the atmosphere blocking most ) . i mean i would not mount them in my bedroom for many other reasons ... but often the "danger" of electromagnetic fields to a person in the power range consumers are exposed to is unfounded by any evidence based medice but of course this does not stop speculation by many esp on the interwebs
and firecodes are no doubt reason for not installing in living spaces .. a fire from a powerwall although exceedingly rare is still possible ... despite fact that, for example clothes dryers which can usuallly be installed in code within living spaces cause many more fires often due to lint accumulation (still statistically low)

The code concern is primarily fire risk, but consider the number of exit routes from the garage (life safety), and the fact that the combustion fumes aren't exactly BBQ smoke. A Powerwall has the equivalent of a quart of gasoline in electrical energy, plus all of the electrode components that are themselves flammable.

Personally, I would not install Powerwalls in an occupied space, any more than I would store propane, gasoline or paint thinner in the house, either.

Here is a video on fighting a battery fire in a Tesla, granted way more batteries, but it takes a ton of water to cool the batteries, and there is a ton of smoke. Inside a garage is going to be way harder in my amateur opinion. Why go there?

All the best,

BG

My reason for going to the garage is because I’m in Phx, too hot to go outside. My garage is now a game room and completely enclosed and insulated because again I’m in phx and I don’t like to sweat bullets while playing lol. So the only exit is the door to the house but the solar equipment would go on the opposite side of the door to the house by the garage door. I have a smoke and co detector and fire extinguisher in there.

Yeah no one is ever asleep in there, just game time. The only thing the installer said is the batteries need to be vented because they do put out gas or something like that, which of course they will be.
i am not aware of any gas or venting put out by a powerwall in normal operation .. i know they have a cooling fan that comes on certain times but that is to cool a sealed liquid system .. perhaps someone on here knows better

There aren't any gases other than atmospheric air that we all breathe which are regularly vented from the Powerwalls. As @Electrph mentions, there is a liquid cooling system with fans that make a little noise. When we were first planning on Powerwall installation locations in our garage, they originally mentioned not wanting to install them on walls where there was habitable space on the other side due to the low hum of the cooling fans/pumps.

Reactions: Electrph
There aren't any gases other than atmospheric air that we all breathe which are regularly vented from the Powerwalls. As @Electrph mentions, there is a liquid cooling system with fans that make a little noise. When we were first planning on Powerwall installation locations in our garage, they originally mentioned not wanting to install them on walls where there was habitable space on the other side due to the low hum of the cooling fans/pumps.
not trying to split hairs but i think it is the liquid pumps that make the most sound / vibration ( extremely low level) as opposed to actual fans ..
i like the sound i find it soothing 🤓

Reactions: MorrisonHiker