Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any solution for 2021 M3 roof sunshields/sunscreens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the set Tesla offers ($75 + $90), since the rear unit goes all the way down, so I don't have to get the car tinted... but it reportedly doesn't fit our narrower 2021 cars well. Many of you reported somewhere (I couldn't find that thread) that they fit baggy, and can't install at least one of the corner clips, since 2021s are about 1/2" narrower, due to a different headliner, apparently (does anybody know why it's narrower now?). No way I'd spend $165 for a crappy fit. I sent Tesla a message to see if they're even aware of that difference, and when they'd make a set specific for 2021+ cars. Since that might take months or years, is there any current aftermarket alternative for 2021 cars?

Another option would be something like what Heatshield sells, which is the same material as the windshield sunshield, so it'd completely block any heat, but any light too. But same issue: they didn't even know the 2021 was narrower, so they wouldn't fit well either.

Anyway, I think the sunscreen should be enough, so would prefer that route, I think. But I'm open to either one. If somebody knows of an aftermarket solution that fits our 2021 cars well, please post a link. Thank you.
JC

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I am surprise that the roof arches, I mean the plastic covers protecting the roof air bags, were changed for the 2021 model?

If so, there should be some different parts numbers then.

However, I have a 2018/10 Model 3, and I don't have problem with the Tesla roof cover.
The 4 clips were sufficient to hold each piece in place.

Later on I replaced the central-rear part with an other model not covering the full rear window.
The model I have stop where the fog heating resistors are located.
When the back window was completely covered, it was impossible to see any traffic coming
from the rear of the car, especially in the evening or at night.

I am surprise that the roof arches, I mean the plastic covers protecting the roof air bags, were changed for the 2021 model?
Yep; they're wider, making the glass area inside the car narrower, reportedly by about 1/2". But that's enough to mess up the fit, for what several 2021 owners reported. I checked my car, and the headliner butts right against the glass, so you cannot shove the excess inside it. It'd have been great, to actually hold it even better, but no dice. So we need a redesigned Tesla set, or the aftermarket making a suitable set. Hope I can find something before the sun hits too hard, which is by March here.

And thank you for the heads up about the Tesla rear shade. I think we'd use it in summer for sure. I don't know what do to about the side windows though. But they should be easy to tint, contrary to what my tint guy was told that they required a special technique. That doesn't sound right to me, since you just close the door latches mechanically while open, and the windows go up like when you close the doors. That's exactly how my other vehicles with frameless doors have been tinted without any issues. But I can always buy sunscreens for the side windows too. I have some 'mickey mouse' ones that are too small, and only 2, so need new ones. But most of the ones I've seen screen too little for the TX sun.