Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any solution to the excess wind noise from the Tesla roof racks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they offer an angled air deflector to go in front of the front rail? That might help.

...I've never had a roof rack that isn't noisy. Probably worse because there's no roof sheet metal/insulation.

I have roof racks on my Model 3.

No significant increase in noise with the Tesla Roof Rack rails, however once I put on bike trays it gets much louder over 60mph.

Bike trays with bikes in them is VERY loud.

If I had a Y I would go with a tow hitch instead of roof rack, not sure how much of a pain that would be at SuperChargers when backing in?

Reactions: cstork
I have roof racks on my Model 3.

No significant increase in noise with the Tesla Roof Rack rails, however once I put on bike trays it gets much louder over 60mph.

Bike trays with bikes in them is VERY loud.

If I had a Y I would go with a tow hitch instead of roof rack, not sure how much of a pain that would be at SuperChargers when backing in?

Same, I have a Model 3 with the Tesla rack and I don't notice any additional noise when it's just the rack by itself. With bike trays you'll hear it, especially at highway speeds. And of course with two mountain bikes on top it's louder still. But not unbearably so.

I have a Model Y on order with the tow hitch and purchased a two-bike 1UP rack to use with it. Curious how loud that will be with the rack installed and then with bikes.

Reactions: house9
For the Tesla Roof Rack, you have to keep the rubber inserts inside the rails to cut down on the wind noise. Cut out the portion of the rubber inserts where you need to mount your stuff and leave the rest of the inserts in. I once took out all of the rubber inserts and the wind whistling noise was deafening.

• Informative
Reactions: house9
I have bad noise with the racks (July 2020 car) even without any other gear on them. The service center spent a good deal of time driving around with me and ultrasonic tested the roof glass and could not find any issues. I just learned to put up with it. I’m Considering a fairing like was mentioned above.

maybe dual paned roof glass on newer models helps?

A quick follow-up for what fixed the noise I was getting from the roof racks on my model Y with the rubber inserts in. Hope this helps others.

I bought 6 of these Rhino rack vortex strips (they come in smaller strips), removed the rubber insert from the roof rack channel on the front cross bar only, cut to size. Then tested at 60mph - 80mph, no more noise.

These fit, look ok, and best of all fixed the noise I was hearing. I have extra for when I will use my fork mount bike rack to cut to size for that.

A quick follow-up for what fixed the noise I was getting from the roof racks on my model Y with the rubber inserts in. Hope this helps others.

I bought 6 of these Rhino rack vortex strips (they come in smaller strips), removed the rubber insert from the roof rack channel on the front cross bar only, cut to size. Then tested at 60mph - 80mph, no more noise.

These fit, look ok, and best of all fixed the noise I was hearing. I have extra for when I will use my fork mount bike rack to cut to size for that.

I tried these. Didn’t make much difference

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy

Did you put this on top of the OEM roof rack?