Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Song Any Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Slacker/TuneIn on board).

Do we know specifically which service is providing the music? As I understand it, the car is already configured with both TuneIn and Slacker so I assume it's one of those two offerings but I wonder which one. Also, has a monthly service fee been announced for this feature? This sounds like one of those "it's free to all owners for an intro period of time and then you need to pay for the 'XYZ Premium' subscription."

Was that video edited? Because when I do that in my car, it performs the song search, but I still have to select the song/artist from the search result list. That video seemed to show the song immediately playing after he requested it. I'm assuming some editing was involved, as it was very seamless.

I would prefer if more of the voice commands would automatically complete the requested action. Currently, all voice commands such as "navigate to ...", "call ...", require tapping a button on the nav screen to select/confirm the command. Or is there a shortcut on the steering wheel I don't know about?

I think every Model S owner uses it. It's not news to those with the car. And yes, it's really nice. And yes, it understands and properly translates me nearly every time.

Okay Todd, all of us haven't read the manual or looked through everything systematically!

I did test this out, and wrote up a blog post in case anyone wanted an easy guide to how to use this.

I had a terrible time though with the voice recognition. I get the "Unable to Process" error the majority of the time.

I have to admit, almost all of these voice recognition software tools have struggled with my voice no matter how clearly, loudly and slowly I talk.

Could be either an editing job...or...perhaps...a newer version of the software that both selects/starts it AND does the recognition faster.

Likely the former, although I'd be happy with the latter.

SuperCoug, in the Media App you can choose the music source: Slacker, TuneIn, USB, XM, AM, FM, or Bluetooth.

- - - Updated - - -

Foolish of me to think anyone would read the manual :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Owner, some tips:

-Make sure you wait until after the beep and it says "recording" before you start speaking. There's about a 1-2 sec delay after pressing the button before you should start speaking.

-Make sure you let up on the button AFTER you finish speaking.

-Format is "PLAY xxxxxx BY xxxxxxx". If you don't know the artist, exclude "BY xxxxxx".

-Speak at a normal volume/rate.

-Open windows/sunroof may interfere with good recognition.

-Make sure you let up on the button AFTER you finish speaking.

Thanks Todd! That's the trick. It is not a touch to get started button like say on the iphone video recording, you need to hold it down constantly while speaking.

Foolish of me to think anyone would read the manual :biggrin:

I actually like to read through the manuals, just haven't gotten through it yet.

I remember reading that Steve Wozniak read through every Prius manual page by page.

Okay Todd, all of us haven't read the manual or looked through everything systematically!

This was part of my walk-through; my DES said "okay, name a group," and of course my mind went blank. Then I thought of a slightly obscure one (Trash Can Sinatras, or Trashcan Sinatras if you prefer--they're not consistent) and whatever-it-was found them immediately. "Play Trashcan Sinatras" and it started playing one of their songs. I don't use it much, though.

I think every Model S owner uses it. It's not news to those with the car. And yes, it's really nice. And yes, it understands and properly translates me nearly every time.

can u make playlists out of all the songs?
What happens when u tell it to play a song and the song finishes?
does it have ....Indian music?? "Play Jazzy B"

Hmm... unless something has changed very recently, this is generally not true. Most songs (more than half of the songs I name) will not come up when named. Instead it plays songs LIKE the song I named. They DO come up on my iPhone or on the web because I have a Premium Slacker account. However, in the car the Premium functionality is disabled barring most songs from playing directly. Also, you can't play the song more than once (don't know how long the ban is after you've played it one time). Lots of other missing functions like not being able to play an album. Not sure why Elon is touting a feature that not only generally doesn't work but ONLY fails to work in the car. It's cool that you can play a band but once you have Slacker Premium, you REALLY miss those functions! If somebody is seeing that functionality, I'd love to know about it!

I tried for at least 5 minutes to get this song to be found. Not only did it not play it (even though showing "song" of the right name), it didn't always even play the right artist.

It's a service problem, and sadly I'm not sure how to workaround it. (I like the song and don't have the CD.)

The Greatest - YouTube

I tried for at least 5 minutes to get this song to be found. Not only did it not play it (even though showing "song" of the right name), it didn't always even play the right artist.

It's a service problem, and sadly I'm not sure how to workaround it. (I like the song and don't have the CD.)

The Greatest - YouTube

I think Slacker "knows" about a lot more songs than are in their catalog, and they've probably done all of their analysis on those tracks in order to find close matches. It's smart on their part because if they ever license those tracks it'll be plug-n-play for them, and in the mean time they can get as close as possible to what you want, even without a license to the exact track.