Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any SR Owners Wired Up Map Pocket Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from the owners manual about the behavior of the 12v center console socket (what the light blue wire feeds).
08209E5A-CF38-4008-A421-E6E49635DB01.jpeg

The light blue center console wire doesn’t behave like a switched 12v wire unfortunately. If using sentry mode for example, that wire gets 12v constantly.
Yeah, any time the car is not "sleeping" it will be powered, but considering the lights draw a minuscule amount of power (next to something like sentry or charging), I'm not too worried about it. There is another wire you can use that is apparently switched to a driver being in the seat and the "ignition" on, but it's on the passenger side and I don't want to have to run wire there.

• Informative
Reactions: todd2fst4u
Yeah, any time the car is not "sleeping" it will be powered, but considering the lights draw a minuscule amount of power (next to something like sentry or charging), I'm not too worried about it. There is another wire you can use that is apparently switched to a driver being in the seat and the "ignition" on, but it's on the passenger side and I don't want to have to run wire there.

I’m not concerned about the power draw but I don’t want to have the interior lights stay on when I’m not in the car. Thanks for posting that video, I hadn’t seen that one before. I’ll look into that wire.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I’m not concerned about the power draw but I don’t want to have the interior lights stay on when I’m not in the car. Thanks for posting that video, I hadn’t seen that one before. I’ll look into that wire.
Yeah I mean ideally I'd turn them off too, but I'm not too worried about either the light/heat they produce or the power draw. I'll probably just rewire it to the console 12v power when I do my sound system upgrade. Crazy how one has to consider software patches when doing hardware mods to their car now, haha.

Let me know if you end up finding that one wire, the video wasn't super helpful for picking the right red wire in a sea of red wires... I may have to consult my wiring diagrams.

I was able to wire up the footwell lights as well as the front and rear door pocket lights. I used a relay triggered from the center console storage led so the lights come on when you open the door and turn off when the doors are closed and the screen powers down. I was able to access the orange wire feeding the rear door pocket leds in the B-pillar.
6B0EB7EA-C1FF-4A7E-B161-16B6FC988676.jpeg

This picture is from the drivers side. Only one orange wire is in this bunch so it’s easy to find. On the passengers side, there are 2 similar orange wires. I tested both to find the correct one.

I was able to wire up the footwell lights as well as the front and rear door pocket lights. I used a relay triggered from the center console storage led so the lights come on when you open the door and turn off when the doors are closed and the screen powers down. I was able to access the orange wire feeding the rear door pocket leds in the B-pillar.
View attachment 550950
This picture is from the drivers side. Only one orange wire is in this bunch so it’s easy to find. On the passengers side, there are 2 similar orange wires. I tested both to find the correct one.
Thanks for the info, when I do my premium sound system upgrade I'm for sure gonna wire up the rear door lights too. Adding a relay in might be an idea as well, I know for sure I want to add a physical switch under the dash so I can force off the lights in camp mode, they are kind of annoying when trying to sleep and it's pitch black outside.

Do you know which wires to tap into to be able to wire the footwell lights off the puddle lights on a 2020 SR+..(footwell no longer included/ physicaly there but software locked)...I see from your pics the wired have to be in same area...do you have wire diagram?
Anyone have any luck finding and tapping into the puddle or overhead lights? Not too interested in the ambient light solution.

Anyone have any luck finding and tapping into the puddle or overhead lights? Not too interested in the ambient light solution.
Ok, for my SR+, after finding the wiring diagram, it looks like the puddle lights are controlled at the door latch switch, therefore the primary area to tap into the line is basically right at the puddle light. Tapping into the puddle light prior to door wiring harness, you can only access the power but not the ground switched from the latch, which would result in power on even if the door is closed and if grounded elsewhere. I also don’t know the behavior of the puddle power while it is in drive mode for example. I am thinking about stringing a wire to the puddle lights, through the door, and hooking up the foot well lights, including adding two in the rear. I’m okay with only having the footwell lights on when the door is open, since nobody has found a way for it behave like stock, especially dimmed while driving. I can also attempt to enable the map light using the same line. Will 3 lights on the same line cause issues? Someone talk me out of it.

Ok, for my SR+, after finding the wiring diagram, it looks like the puddle lights are controlled at the door latch switch, therefore the primary area to tap into the line is basically right at the puddle light. Tapping into the puddle light prior to door wiring harness, you can only access the power but not the ground switched from the latch, which would result in power on even if the door is closed and if grounded elsewhere. I also don’t know the behavior of the puddle power while it is in drive mode for example. I am thinking about stringing a wire to the puddle lights, through the door, and hooking up the foot well lights, including adding two in the rear. I’m okay with only having the footwell lights on when the door is open, since nobody has found a way for it behave like stock, especially dimmed while driving. I can also attempt to enable the map light using the same line. Will 3 lights on the same line cause issues? Someone talk me out of it.
Finished powering the front passenger footwell light by tapping into the door puddle light. What a pain just to get some semi functioning lights. 3 more to go. I didn’t have pocket lights and it wasn’t obvious where the cut wires were (I didn’t open any of the wrapped tape).

Finished powering the front passenger footwell light by tapping into the door puddle light. What a pain just to get some semi functioning lights. 3 more to go. I didn’t have pocket lights and it wasn’t obvious where the cut wires were (I didn’t open any of the wrapped tape).
Was able to finish tapping into the door puddle lights (so they only turn on when the door is open). Was able to string the line without taking the front windows out. You have to take out the rear windows. It took me a couple of days taking it slow. I installed slightly brighter lights from Oznium and used a couple of the stock lights to brighten up the trunk.

Attachments

• Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Rear.jpeg
    Rear.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 101
  • T tap zip.jpeg
    T tap zip.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Trunk.jpeg
    Trunk.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Waking up this old thread! I'm planning to get door pocket lights working in my 2020 3LR. Mine didn't come with them installed, and I'm actually the person that discovered the wiring harnesses were physically cut and unpowered. So I've ordered some lights from Tesla and I'm looking into to how to make this work. My current plan is to piggyback them off the front footwell lights.

I see everyone here is powering their pocket lights with 12v. The interesting thing about this is that the pocket lights are meant to receive PWM (see attached wiring diagram clips) rather than plan old DC. I'm glad to see this works, since the footwell lights are DC too. I'm hoping the pockets will also dim along with the footwells.

I'll post my results in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Light Inputs.png
    Light Inputs.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Hayden
I really appreciate everyones input, but it seems like the root question is never questioned or answered. Someone has to know what the reason is as to why Tesla would not activate nor make available to update such a simple and EXPECTED item... My car has the wires and has the lights but they do not work, thus Tesla has spent the time, money and design engineering to have them in the car. It is almost as if, they forgot to activate them and never realized it, but who can I tell except other people like me. I am somewhat baffled by this...

Reactions: cfbackrow
Someone attempted to wire to footwell lights to the Vanity LED? The theorie is that they work just perfekt and even if someone is turning them on while driving the correct footwell light goes on as well.

My attempt would be to connect the driver Footwell LED to the driver Vanity light. Same for the passenger light. I am not sure if they are monitored on there Amp usage and if it would throw out an error, if so maybe use SSD relais and wire their power to penthouse 12V

In theorie that should work perfectly?
Anyone who can say me if that's a good idea ? I am an electrician but not for cars so there is some technical help required for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-012505_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-012505_Drive.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211030-013319_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-013319_Drive.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 65