Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any stolen Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me this angle hasn't been covered adequately by the media when reviewing Model S: it's just another of Tesla's strengths that the car is nearly immune to grand theft auto. Is there another car out there that can claim to be better in this regard?

Canada now requires all cars to have a FOB interlock, with the highest standard of encoding (both the Roadster and Model S fob systems had to be upgraded to bring them to Canada).

(*) someone could tow one away and chop shop it, but it would probably be hard to part it out without leaving a trace.
Imagine when there are so many Model Ses on the road -- millions -- that thieves could part it out and fence the parts successfully. This will hopefully happen eventually, but I'm not optimistic enough about Tesla's market penetration to expect it to happen soon!

... seat heaters are not optional here, for example.

Is that regulated??

When we shopped our Subaru Baja I was shocked to find that we could not get heated seats at all-- even though the Outback it was based on had them even on lower trims. Adding insult to injury, the Canadian spec Bajas ALL came with heated seats standard.
All I got was a goofy coin holder where the switches should go.

Are Canadians thin-butt-skinned???

The article is mostly referring to roadsters. Remember the model S is Tesla's second model.

That article, and the Market Watch article it links to, make it sound like all 4 stolen cars were Model S (the word Roadster is not mentioned) except it refers to a car stolen in 2011 so that was obviously a Roadster.

I am doubtful that any of the four cars were an S.

That article, and the Market Watch article it links to, make it sound like all 4 stolen cars were Model S (the word Roadster is not mentioned) except it refers to a car stolen in 2011 so that was obviously a Roadster.

I am doubtful that any of the four cars were an S.

That was my mistake for not clicking through to the MarketWatch article when the data the AOL Auto one didn't make much sense given the 2011 model year referenced. Granted, I agree the MarketWatch article didn't exactly clear things up, but you're probably right in that they're Roadsters. Gotta love poorly written articles.

They are likely taking this info from the data in the quarterly report from tesla which supposedly boasted that only 3 teslas had ever been stolen. It mentioned one in 2011 as well. There wasn't much more information give there either, so it would be impossible for aol autos to have any more information. All the did was repeat what tesla supposedly said.

Sounds like someone stole another Tesla on 9/4:

Stolen Tesla Found As Owner Helps Police Using Her Phone App - Yahoo Autos

Police use app to track stolen Tesla, 2 arrested after chase - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

Fob was 'lost' so likely thieves had the fob. Too bad the Tesla App doesn't have a button to press to notify Tesla the car is stolen so they can deactivate the car (e.g. lower the max speed to 20 mph or something) remotely. I assume Tesla doesn't have this type of thing in the app now for liability reasons in case the remote services gateway is ever hacked and someone causes a 'mass shutdown' of all Model S which wouldn't look good in the news.

Sounds like someone stole another Tesla on 9/4:

Stolen Tesla Found As Owner Helps Police Using Her Phone App - Yahoo Autos

Police use app to track stolen Tesla, 2 arrested after chase - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

Fob was 'lost' so likely thieves had the fob. Too bad the Tesla App doesn't have a button to press to notify Tesla the car is stolen so they can deactivate the car (e.g. lower the max speed to 20 mph or something) remotely. I assume Tesla doesn't have this type of thing in the app now for liability reasons in case the remote services gateway is ever hacked and someone causes a 'mass shutdown' of all Model S which wouldn't look good in the news.

or some p!ssed off drunk husband/wife decides it would be payback to do it on the freeway whilst said husband/wife is with his/her weekend fling.. :)

First Tesla Model S stolen for good?
(Denmark, Northern Europe)

Tesla stjålet i Søndervig

Some user in a local forum said he saw a car of that color being very shy against other owners, on a supercharger south of the stolen location, leaving only 5 minutes after arriving (but he didn't get the license plate number)

If anyone sees VIN 5YJSA7E22FF110650 Silver Metallic 85D from December 11th, 2015, consider advising the local authorities (or Tesla Motors, or both).

It has been missing for three days now, and apparently hasn't been online since around the time of theft.

After a break-in in a summer vacation house, some jackets were stolen, with a fob inside. The owner of this 3 month old car was quoted for saying he didn't install the app yet.

If you are in the international Tesla FB group, here is a direct link:

This is the car in question

Attachments

• teslabil Stjålet.jpg
    teslabil Stjålet.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 96
I'm fairly certain that regardless of whether remote access is a enabled on the car or not ("App access") that the car is still communicating with Tesla and that they can disable it, track it etc. I'm also sure they will if the owner through the authorities contact Tesla after a theft. The only way to prevent this for a thief is to either physically removing the SIM card or GSM module (you'd have to rip out the 17" screen), somehow hacking the car (AFAIK requires physical access like above) or using an effective GSM signal blocking device.

Emulating the key code seems like it would be hard.

The app is a double edged sword. You can track the car, but you can also start the car.
While most tesla owners seem to be the tech savvy type, spoofing the owner for the mytesla password seems like it would be easier.

I feel some sort of dual authentication should be in place here (if it hasn't already been suggested).

I'm fairly certain that regardless of whether remote access is a enabled on the car or not ("App access") that the car is still communicating with Tesla and that they can disable it, track it etc. I'm also sure they will if the owner through the authorities contact Tesla after a theft. The only way to prevent this for a thief is to either physically removing the SIM card or GSM module (you'd have to rip out the 17" screen), somehow hacking the car (AFAIK requires physical access like above) or using an effective GSM signal blocking device.

The fob was stolen. Car can drive. Car connects to Tesla via 3G (or 4G, or even WiFi, if available). But, if 3G/4G is blocked, antenna is removed, or the GSM signal is otherwise prevented from getting to and from the car - there is nothing Tesla can do to track the car.

This car was offline for 3 days so far. Maybe it will be found, maybe not ...

As as very-soon-to-be new Tesla owner (Model S 90D) I was wondering about this very question just the other day.
It seems like these should be about the least-stealable cars around, both because of the inability to hot wire them
and (I assume) the ability of Tesla to send a stolen car a message to stop, refuse to start, and display on the screen "Law Enforcement:
This vehicle is stolen. Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX."
Sadly, until these facts become widely known they won't prevent idiot potential thieves from breaking a window to try to steal them :(

As as very-soon-to-be new Tesla owner (Model S 90D) I was wondering about this very question just the other day.
It seems like these should be about the least-stealable cars around, both because of the inability to hot wire them
and (I assume) the ability of Tesla to send a stolen car a message to stop, refuse to start, and display on the screen "Law Enforcement:
This vehicle is stolen. Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX."
Sadly, until these facts become widely known they won't prevent idiot potential thieves from breaking a window to try to steal them :(

Your brand new 90D could be sold as parts. What color is your car, I need a new hood :)