Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any stories about increased interest in EVs because of gas crisis ins SouthEast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect they are but I’m wondering if the recent issues in Texas with their power grid had the opposite effect. I think the effects with both are likely short term as most people aren’t in position to just run out and change their car immediately. Long term and lasting change will come from the deployment of a charging infrastructure, preferably in high traffic locations. As more people see that they can conveniently charge up their car away from home they are more likely to make the move.

Reactions: DanCar
exhibit #1.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.35.39 AM.png

Exihit #2

We didn't make the rules... we're just pointing out the consequences of ignoring them ;) If someone says 1 + 1 = 3 is that just another totally legitimate 'view'?

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I would speculate there might be just as many people interested in sticking with a gas car after the electricity outage in Texas a couple months ago.
Gas pumps don't work without electricity either.

There is an ability to "fill up" your EV car with solar panels but no one putting an oil drill and refinery to fill up their gas car at their house.

• Disagree
Reactions: nwdiver and KrenGrl
Gas pumps don't work without electricity either.

There is an ability to "fill up" your EV car with solar panels but no one putting an oil drill and refinery to fill up their gas car at their house.
I figured someone would say that, but it is wrong. MANY stations out here and other parts of the USA have backup power for pumps. Not everywhere of course, but you can get gasoline somewhere during a power outage. I have. And you can't get power from solar panels unless not being grid tied. Many such installation are grid tied with no battery backup.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and FlyF4
I figured someone would say that, but it is wrong. MANY stations out here and other parts of the USA have backup power for pumps. Not everywhere of course, but you can get gasoline somewhere during a power outage. I have. And you can't get power from solar panels unless not being grid tied. Many such installation are grid tied with no battery backup.
Never heard of any gas stations around in NC here with backup generators but that does make sense since they have the source of the fuel to run the generators.

Never heard of any gas stations around in NC here with backup generators but that does make sense since they have the source of the fuel to run the generators.
Maybe not in your area, or perhaps you haven't had a need to check :) The stations I have seen out here with backup generators didn't use gasoline. They used natural gas and a couple of them used propane (not as efficient, but still works). I ran into this issue last year in California during the power outages from fires. I couldn't get my MX charged anywhere in that area, so had to use the wife's ice car to make the trips around the area and there were more stations able to pump gas than I would have guessed. But yea, a bunch didn't.

From
Consumers should note that while Florida law (Chapter 526.143, Florida Statutes) requires certain retail gas stations to have access to backup power generators, that does not guarantee those stations will be open, operational, or dispensing fuel after the storm. Severe hurricane damage may impede operations of these private businesses, even with access to backup power generators.

Can't pump gas without electricity.
wrong, did you see my other post above about what happened in California last year during the blackouts. It is a common myth that one can't get gasoline without electric grid. You live in California, so I guess you might know that. I found at least 6 places where I got gas during the outage from the fires in the bay area.

Can't pump gas without electricity.
You haven't done your homework. Just one example of places that have backup methods to supply gas when power is out. Though correct, they can't pump without electricity. The electricity comes from backup sources during a power outage. The station right down the street from me has backup methods :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You haven't done your homework. Just one example of places that have backup methods to supply gas when power is out. Though correct, they can't pump without electricity. The electricity comes from backup sources during a power outage. The station right down the street from me has backup methods :)
So they do pump gas with electricity (if they have backup).

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
  • Funny
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
So they do pump gas with electricity (if they have backup).
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't make sense to have a manual crank/pump to get the gas out of the tanks since there wouldnt be a convenient way to measure the amount of gas sold and accept payment/receipt.

Seems real efficient right? Use gas/diesel/propane to power a generator to make electricity to be used to move gas/diesel and power the store/credit card machines. Then that gas is used by people to power their cars and make more electricity or they take the gas home to power their generators for electricity for their homes. "Gas"->Electric->"Gas". Gas is just a storage of energy and could be replaced by batteries.

There is tons of interest in EVs and it only grows more each day as the technology and infrastructure keeps getting better.

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677 and mspohr