Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any stories about increased interest in EVs because of gas crisis ins SouthEast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't make sense to have a manual crank/pump to get the gas out of the tanks since there wouldnt be a convenient way to measure the amount of gas sold and accept payment/receipt.

Seems real efficient right? Use gas/diesel/propane to power a generator to make electricity to be used to move gas/diesel and power the store/credit card machines. Then that gas is used by people to power their cars and make more electricity or they take the gas home to power their generators for electricity for their homes. "Gas"->Electric->"Gas". Gas is just a storage of energy and could be replaced by batteries.

There is tons of interest in EVs and it only grows more each day as the technology and infrastructure keeps getting better.
Don't forget the large amount of electricity that is used to pump oil out of the ground and refine it.

Drivers tend to shrug off high gas prices, but the gas crisis coincides with a wave of EV curiosity.
If smugness could be bottled and burned, East Coast drivers would have had no problems this week.

The stuff was spewing out of Teslas, Nissan Leafs and every other electric vehicle silently zooming past dry gas pumps and frantic drivers filling all manner of receptacles with fast-dwindling fuel. When hoarders turned to plastic bags, the righteousness of the clean, green observers, no doubt, hit the redline.

I wonder what that would do to the gas stations that do have backup generators... Long lines of cars? price gouging? Quickly running out of supply and not being able to replenish?
there is always the issue of running out of fuel. that is what happened the during the last hurricane in S FLA, the stations ran out of fuel and the tank trucks had issues with blocked highways, it was resolved in a day or so.

I wonder what that would do to the gas stations that do have backup generators... Long lines of cars? price gouging? Quickly running out of supply and not being able to replenish?
Fortunately I did not run into that problem during the California fire outages over a period of a couple weeks, but sure, I suppose it could be a problem in some circumstances.

GasBuddy was one of the apps I used to find such stations with backup electric in areas I was not familiar while I was traveling. It worked pretty well. There are 3 or 4 such good apps for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
Drivers tend to shrug off high gas prices, but the gas crisis coincides with a wave of EV curiosity.
If smugness could be bottled and burned, East Coast drivers would have had no problems this week.

The stuff was spewing out of Teslas, Nissan Leafs and every other electric vehicle silently zooming past dry gas pumps and frantic drivers filling all manner of receptacles with fast-dwindling fuel. When hoarders turned to plastic bags, the righteousness of the clean, green observers, no doubt, hit the redline.
1621111374028.png

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Florida gas stations are required to have a transfer switch capable of plugging in a generator only if they are on evacuation routes.
They're not required to have a generator.
At least one generator must be available for chains of gas stations greater than 10 sites on evacuation routes.
Presumably, the generator would be trucked to the station most in need.

Consumer Reports said:
Some 4% of U.S. drivers “definitely” plan to buy an electric vehicle for their next purchase and another 27% are strongly considering one, according to a December survey by Consumer Reports.

Reactions: mspohr
Interest in EVs rises with higher gas prices, no doh! :)