Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any success at reducing cabin noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Sept 2019 X LR, standard 20" wheels and stock tires.

Overall the car is great, but a big disappointment is what I consider to be a lot of cabin noise. Very disappointing for such an expensive car! My EV references are a 2018 Nissan Leaf we own, which is very quiet; I also had a loaner 2014 Model S from the service center which was much quieter than my X. Up to about 40 MPH the whine of the motors are very audible, both in acceleration and regen; tire noise can also be very loud depending on the road material. Road noise in the wet is very noticeable.

I did take it into the local service center for them to see if there was anything that could be fixed. They said they drove it, compared with another X, and checked seals - all normal they said and couldn't do anything.

When I asked around at work via email a while back, all owners, even of new X's, came back and said their cars were quiet. Maybe there's some that don't have great seals and/or noisy motors and I have been unlucky.

My question is whether anyone has had any success reducing their cabin noise? Either due to an issue found and fixed by Tesla service or a third-party solution, like improved or extra door seals. Any info appreciated!

Mine had a Wind noise issue where it was leaking on the seal on the INSIDE of the top of the drivers door panel.

The seal should touch the glass from end to end. When the door was open it sealed. When the door was closed the top of the glass hit the very stiff window gasket too hard and pushed the glass away from the seal.

Once I fixed that myself, I'm pretty happy with road noise. Model 3 was awful.

Model X could still be better. But I'm happy now.

It just needed the Window adjusted. I bet tons of Tesla's have this issue.
It took a while to diagnose what was going on. Pretty easy fix.

With the seal not made, it's like having no insulation on the door at all.

I created a separate thread on it, and a Video on how to check for it.

Several false alarms in this thread that I found too.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Mine had a Wind noise issue where it was leaking on the seal on the INSIDE of the top of the drivers door panel.

The seal should touch the glass from end to end. When the door was open it sealed. When the door was closed the top of the glass hit the very stiff window gasket too hard and pushed the glass away from the seal.

Once I fixed that myself, I'm pretty happy with road noise. Model 3 was awful.

Model X could still be better. But I'm happy now.

It just needed the Window adjusted. I bet tons of Tesla's have this issue.
It took a while to diagnose what was going on. Pretty easy fix.

With the seal not made, it's like having no insulation on the door at all.

I created a separate thread on it, and a Video on how to check for it.

Several false alarms in this thread that I found too.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven
Thanks for the response. I had seen that thread - the window seal on both the driver and passenger door is fine for me. I did have the other issue documented in that thread, with half the adhesive missing from the rubber seal at the leading edge of the drivers door. I used duct tape as a temporary fix, but the service center glued it for me when it was in to look at noise the other week. The missing adhesive must have been an issue for a while; a few months ago a showroom X I saw also had the missing adhesive; the latest one I looked at was fine.

Any other ideas out there?