Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any success story of an authorized RWD 75 uncorking yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since all discussions about what's going to happen to RWD 75 vehicles have been mixed into threads about uncorking 75Ds, let's finally have our own thread for RWD 75 owners.

The info so far:
  • almost all 75D are eligible for uncorking at no additional costs simply by software
  • no RWD 75 is eligible for uncorking (RWD 75 produced after July 1, 2017 already have the performance upgrade)
  • Tesla claims it has to to do with a difference in hardware, first guess was it has to do with the battery contactors and/or fuse, but that would require different part numbers for 75D and RWD 75 batteries, which obviously wasn't the case (with the rare exception of BTX8 they all have BTX5, which covers software-limited 60 and 70 models as well), second guess was the wiring harness, which would be the most plausible explanation
  • it has already been proven that a RWD 75 technically can be uncorked simply by software by someone who manually did it himself, but Tesla reversed the uncorking for his vehicle and notified that person that if he keeps doing it they are going to void his battery warranty (which may either hint to mentioned hardware difference or simply to company policy)
Looking back at the past, I'd say that we RWD 75 owners can not expect a hardware modification to be offered by Tesla to make our vehicles eligible for uncorking, not even at costs, so our only hope would be that further examination by Tesla will reveal that the available hardware in RWD 75 vehicles nevertheless is able to safely handle the additional current that's being drawn by the performance upgrade, though that may just be wishful thinking.

In hope to see a comment about an authorized successful RWD 75 uncorking here soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Icer and croman
Something I can contribute:

According to internal information at Tesla, that my delivery contact forwarded me, all 75 RWD cars that had their planned end of production line in the week of June, 19th, should have the performance increase.

Mine got finished in on June 26th - so one week later - with VIN 204xxx.

Nonetheless I'm still lacking an confirmation/proof for that, as I don't have any hardware to reliably measure performance

...all 75 RWD cars that had their planned end of production line in the week of June, 19th, should have the performance increase...Nonetheless I'm still lacking an confirmation/proof for that, as I don't have any hardware to reliably measure performance
For what it is worth some DU00 drive units went out the previous week of 12 June, so it is possible that some DU01 RWD units went out the same previous week.

If you have iOS Telsa Powertools or Android Dashboard for Tesla you can make a 0-60 (0-100) or quarter mile runlog and know how much the power limit and power acceleration have changed. We keep track here.

That's a huge mental letdown, because that means there is no confirmed RWD 75 uncorking at all!

Still hoping that more info or an official statement will become available.
I have been following post by post about this topic since July 1st. There are a handful of CPO/inventory S75 that were showing the performance upgrade on the website. However, it may have simply been a mistake on data entry. Thus far, we have no confirmed news of an "uncorked" S75.

My theory, based upon little information, is the ‘uncorking’ changes how the vehicle balances power to the two motors. In the dual motor configuration one motor is geared for low speed and gets all the power when accelerating and the other motor is geared for high speed and gets all the power when cruising at speed. ‘Uncorking’ sends power to both motors when accelerating but neither is getting more power than designed for… hence, no hardware upgrades necessary and no ‘uncorking’ for non-dual configurations.

I hope I’m wrong

My theory, based upon little information, is the ‘uncorking’ changes how the vehicle balances power to the two motors. In the dual motor configuration one motor is geared for low speed and gets all the power when accelerating and the other motor is geared for high speed and gets all the power when cruising at speed. ‘Uncorking’ sends power to both motors when accelerating but neither is getting more power than designed for… hence, no hardware upgrades necessary and no ‘uncorking’ for non-dual configurations.

I hope I’m wrong
Well then I am officially confused. At the beginning of July both 75 RWDs and 75d's had over a second slashed off their 0-60 times. In fact RWD was a greater improvement than 75d. So I am totally puzzled by these theories of yours and other posters, but admit to not being technically proficient when it comes to Tesla performance upgrades. Hopefully Jon McNeill will post here and remove the mystery.

Well then I am officially confused. At the beginning of July both 75 RWDs and 75d's had over a second slashed off their 0-60 times. In fact RWD was a greater improvement than 75d. So I am totally puzzled by these theories of yours and other posters, but admit to not being technically proficient when it comes to Tesla performance upgrades. Hopefully Jon McNeill will post here and remove the mystery.
The thought process was that the S75D only required software changes to enable the faster performance times, whereas the S75 RWD required hardware changes (perhaps a new larger drive unit with a option code DU01). If this is truly the case, we are unlikely to see a performance upgrade.

The thought process was that the S75D only required software changes to enable the faster performance times, whereas the S75 RWD required hardware changes (perhaps a new larger drive unit with a option code DU01). If this is truly the case, we are unlikely to see a performance upgrade.

The missing link is whether or not the 75 RWD inventory cars that appeared in listings a few months back, with the faster 0-60 times, were real or a typo.

Can anyone validate this?

i say if a private person can uncork a 75 non d then why wont tesla just do it? Just do it to any and all cars that its possible to do it to??? I mean why not?? Why some and not others with exact same build dates?
Are you able to point a case where a private person uncorked a S75 RWD? I recall one case where a poster was able to uncork his own S75D, but said that the S75 was not accepting the same command.

Both 75D and 75RWD can be uncorked, I'm not sure if RWD DU firmware would take more current from the battery. When uncorking is done battery max discharge current is bumped from 1150A to 1300A, that's the only thing that changes when the car is uncorked. For D models they also change performance profile from P3 to P1 which makes motors to take more power. I don't know if there is a setting for RWD car to tell the motor to take more power because technically big motors are the same in 85 and performance models, so they can produce faster acceleration.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and MIT_S60
Both 75D and 75RWD can be uncorked, I'm not sure if RWD DU firmware would take more current from the battery. When uncorking is done battery max discharge current is bumped from 1150A to 1300A, that's the only thing that changes when the car is uncorked. For D models they also change performance profile from P3 to P1 which makes motors to take more power. I don't know if there is a setting for RWD car to tell the motor to take more power because technically big motors are the same in 85 and performance models, so they can produce faster acceleration.
then by this logic the 60d should also be able to be uncorked.

then by this logic the 60d should also be able to be uncorked.

Performance still depends on the state of charge (SOC), the more charge you have the faster your car goes, and 60D is limited on the top. But the answer to your question is yes since your car has the same battery it can be uncorked, but I don't know how Tesla limits performance in the firmware for battery-limited cars.

I’m hoping Jon responds as he does participate here. He may be more likely to reply if he sees lots of threads and posts on the topic. If it bothers you, then just look at one thread. It’s not like any of the threads have useful information that you will miss.
Well, I'm currently tracking five threads including this one:
  1. Uncorking
  2. 6 to 60 uncork
  3. Uncorking official for most 75Ds!
  4. Any success story of an authorized RWD 75 uncorking yet?
  5. Uncorking for RWD 75 (Non-D)
Did I miss one? I also think it does not hurt to have more than one thread to express the importance and confusion this matter is causing.