Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any success story of an authorized RWD 75 uncorking yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MIT_S60 I am not sure if this is entirely correct. My S75 RWD has DU00 or new drive unit but apparently the issue is not only drive unit and there are other components that need to be upgraded in order to uncork the car. Moreover, I see all inventory RWD models are showing 5.8 s now on Tesla website even those made after July. The same for S75D models that is showing at 5.3 S even though based on your claims those S75D should already have the capability to be software upgraded.

I am having lots of discussions with Tesla currently for this issue. Before I bought the car the salesperson explicitly confirmed the car would have and will be eligible for upgrade and my car would have the 4.3 s performance.

Before delivery of the car, I contacted service centre and they also told me the car will have latest update before delivery (not sure if they did understand my question and gave an unthought answer).

After delivery, I noticed the car was not as quick so I contacted the centre again with my VIN number and they confirmed my car had new drive unit and its acceleration was 4.3 S.

Then I got the Power Tool app and tested the car and best I could get was 5.6 s. @Krash kindly helped me to analyse the data and ideed the car was slower.

Then I raised the issue again with Tesla and this time they said it was a mistake and my car could not have the performance upgrade or be uncorked. I am currently having a serious discussion about this with them as I feel Tesla misrepresented their product to me in several occasions. I am not suggesting this was deliberate to get rid of RWD inventories or to boost end of quarter sale but whatever happened the result is that I was sold something that was not as offered to me.

I think I gave this example somewhere else in this forum. Imagine you buy a TV with 3D capability only to realise it can not play 3D movies when you bring it home then you go to the shop and they say oh..yes, it was a mistake but don't worry at least you have a good TV!

Cheers
The website numbers have been all over the place. When was your car built?

So did all pre-July-2017 S75 RWD owners settle in and accept their fate?

No new information has become available since then, no further statement from @JonMc or the SCs, which lets assume that's pretty much it. :(
It seems we're pretty much SOL. Should have waited a few months to buy the S75 RWD, or just been patient for the Model 3.

@MIT_S60 according to Tesla my car was built on 16 June 2017 but it has new drive unit.

Today I was at service centre for a small issue with the door handle and asked the question. The guy clearly told me performance upgrade is only for AWD and no RWD was eligible or capable! Of being uncorked even those built from July and after.

This is very disappointing and unethical from Tesla to sell their cars based on incorrect information!

I suspect that at some point, there will be some type of uncorking on the RWD 75s, but it is just a lower priority and Tesla needs to make sure there isn't any unacceptable wear on any components, which would increase their warranty liability. We should be patient. They are motivated to keep the Model S/X owners happy to differentiate the product lines from M3. If not, we're not out anything, and still have a car that out-accelerates a lot of muscle cars and true sport cars!

I suspect that at some point, there will be some type of uncorking on the RWD 75s, but it is just a lower priority and Tesla needs to make sure there isn't any unacceptable wear on any components, which would increase their warranty liability. We should be patient. They are motivated to keep the Model S/X owners happy to differentiate the product lines from M3. If not, we're not out anything, and still have a car that out-accelerates a lot of muscle cars and true sport cars!
I really wish your comment turns out to be right, but I don't have high hopes at this point considering they discontinued the RWD option for the Model S.

@MIT_S60 I agree with you. The most painful part is that I heard the rumours that RWD would be discontinued at the time and I also asked the salesperson at Tesla but she totally denied it! Paying extra for AWD was not an issue for me but at the time comparing pros & cons between RWD and AWD, I thought extra 5 or 6 K extra was not justifiable and I took the RWD. If I knew they were going to discontinue and RWD would not have the performance upgrade, I had no doubt in my mind that would have bought AWD instead.

@MIT_S60Today I was at service centre for a small issue with the door handle and asked the question. The guy clearly told me performance upgrade is only for AWD and no RWD was eligible or capable! Of being uncorked even those built from July and after.
[...]
I don't usually take an employee's word as final information, since they might not be up-to-date or might be misinformed (such as in this case being wrong about S75 RWD uncorked after July 2017).
@MIT_S60 I agree with you. The most painful part is that I heard the rumours that RWD would be discontinued at the time and I also asked the salesperson at Tesla but she totally denied it! Paying extra for AWD was not an issue for me but at the time comparing pros & cons between RWD and AWD, I thought extra 5 or 6 K extra was not justifiable and I took the RWD. If I knew they were going to discontinue and RWD would not have the performance upgrade, I had no doubt in my mind that would have bought AWD instead.
The salesperson likely didn't have the info passed down to her about the RWD officially being discontinued (rumors fly faster than official info gets passed to employees sometimes). I think a lot of people would have upgraded to the 75D with that kind of knowledge, but at the time I don't know/think they had fully planned for the performance uncork.

IMO Tesla's constant changes causes a major headache for buying an inventory (or used) car since the options change so frequently. For instance, the following inventory 75D lists 5.2 seconds even though it's likely eligible for the 4.2 seconds uncork. In addition, it looks like they removed the "Premium Upgrades Package" from the description and now are listing individual options directly:
Model S 75D 5YJSA1E2XHF199741 | Tesla

EDITED: Krash pointed out new DU went in on June 14, 2017. I had the date wrong.

Last edited:
I don't usually take an employee's word as final information, since they might not be up-to-date or might be misinformed (such as in this case being wrong about S75 RWD uncorked after July 2017).

The salesperson likely didn't have the info passed down to her about the RWD officially being discontinued (rumors fly faster than official info gets passed to employees sometimes). I think a lot of people would have upgraded to the 75D with that kind of knowledge, but at the time I don't know/think they had fully planned for the performance uncork.

Well I think this is an excuse even worse than the actual fault. In my view an employee or salesperson firstly has to be fully up to date with what is happening with their company. For God sake they are selling their products, they should know every single bit of changes etc...

They also have to have a proper and adequate training to answer the questions correctly. If she was telling me " ... Well, I don't know,...." or "...As far as I know....." or "...Nothing has been said to us yet...." then I would have agreed with you but when they denied by saying .."it is not true...." when I asked if the RWD was going to be discontinued then you have an element of misrepresentation here even though it might be a genuine mistake. Having said that RWD was withdrawn from the site 2 days later and it is difficult for me to believe Tesla or any company at this size, does not take necessary steps to inform their own employees in advance.

You also said you didn't take employee's words as final information but whose words would you rely on? A forum? of course not. The expected right channel is the company itself either from salesperson or official site.

In my view some of sales people in Tesla do not have right training perhaps due to the company being new and on learning curve.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi

I went to the service center today to fix some minor issues on my Model S 75 RWD, delivered in December 2017. By curiosity I asked the guy if he could check if my car was uncorked. After waiting a few hours they tell me that the car was not uncorked and that they were updating it now. It finished the software but then the car failed and they said that it is normal and gave me a loaner. They told me my car will be ready around tomorrow uncorked. I thought it was very weird that my car did not come uncorked straight from the factory. It has the new back seats and is surely built after 1. July. The app called Remote S also tells me that the car is "corked", but has the Drive Unit 01 (DU01) which is capable to receive the uncorking on the 75RWD. I will update the situation once I receive the car, but it should be uncorked now at the service center.

VIN on my car is 2084XX

Hi

I went to the service center today to fix some minor issues on my Model S 75 RWD, delivered in December 2017. By curiosity I asked the guy if he could check if my car was uncorked. After waiting a few hours they tell me that the car was not uncorked and that they were updating it now. It finished the software but then the car failed and they said that it is normal and gave me a loaner. They told me my car will be ready around tomorrow uncorked. I thought it was very weird that my car did not come uncorked straight from the factory. It has the new back seats and is surely built after 1. July. The app called Remote S also tells me that the car is "corked", but has the Drive Unit 01 (DU01) which is capable to receive the uncorking on the 75RWD. I will update the situation once I receive the car, but it should be uncorked now at the service center.

VIN on my car is 2084XX
Very Good. Please keep us updated. It is very important to see someone with 75 RWD has his car uncorked. So far everyone says something different. The service Centre in Geneva last week told me only 75D is eligible.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60
Hi

VIN on my car is 2084XX
See this thread - Acceleration on a loaner S75RWD "much" better than my 4.3 sec S75RWD

I wouldn't be surprised if certain RWD 75 delivered with updated DU (DU01) don't have "upgraded performance".

@WattMobile - was your car delivered with adaptive headlights or not?

upload_2018-2-8_15-43-13.png

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
Hi

I just picked up my car from the service center after the uncork. It felt a tad quicker than before. The rear motor also made more sound and the car had more torque. SOC 79%. Did not have the chance to do a 0-100 as it was snowing and wet (and some traffic) but used the vehicle tracker on Powertools and when I gave 90% throttle in 2 seconds it showed 376 horsepower so I am assuming it will be around 430-440 horsepower on a 0-100 depending on the factors. Will do a run as soon as I have the opportunity. However very happy with the car and its upgraded performance. The only thing I don´t understand is why it did not come uncorked from factory as I already have the new drive unit DU01 which has the capabilities to handle the upgraded performance. But, now I have it and I am very happy with what Tesla has done :)

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc