Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any suggestion for rear quarter panel dent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am posting to see if there is any alternative solution aside from taking it to Tesla certified body shop.

Some amazing soul just slammed its silver door to my MY's rear quarter panel during our travel in El Paso, TX (Thank you for slamming your door to my car). Since my car had low battery, Sentry mode was off so there is no footage of it.

Anyhow, referring to picture, the damage left a dent and some paint peeling. Do I have to take it to certified body shop? If yes, how much would it cost? If not necessary, other ways to fix it? Any inputs appreciated it!

Attachments

• 20210403_185013.jpg
    20210403_185013.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 272
I had significantly worse damage in that area (was my own fault...) and had it fixed at a certified body shop for around $2K (paying myself, no insurance involvement). However, another shop quoted me $5-6K, worth to shop around if you go that route.

BTW: I had also a small dent in the rear door so that may have increased the cost.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am posting to see if there is any alternative solution aside from taking it to Tesla certified body shop.

Some amazing soul just slammed its silver door to my MY's rear quarter panel during our travel in El Paso, TX (Thank you for slamming your door to my car). Since my car had low battery, Sentry mode was off so there is no footage of it.

Anyhow, referring to picture, the damage left a dent and some paint peeling. Do I have to take it to certified body shop? If yes, how much would it cost? If not necessary, other ways to fix it? Any inputs appreciated it!
You can see better than we can from the photo, but there doesn't appear to be a break in the paint, just a scuff with material from other vehicle on it. If that's the case you might get away with an inexpensive paintless dent repair.

You can see better than we can from the photo, but there doesn't appear to be a break in the paint, just a scuff with material from other vehicle on it. If that's the case you might get away with an inexpensive paintless dent repair.
Yeah, that was what I initially hoped for. However, silver color that is seen in the photo is the aluminium panel I think. I used cleaning solution to remove dirt/inspect and was bummed out to find that paint was completely peeled off..

I had significantly worse damage in that area (was my own fault...) and had it fixed at a certified body shop for around $2K (paying myself, no insurance involvement). However, another shop quoted me $5-6K, worth to shop around if you go that route.

BTW: I had also a small dent in the rear door so that may have increased the cost.
Absolutely. I am reaching out to my local certified bodyshop too. I just hope that I can fix it around 500 bucks.

The issue I have is that my MY had deer accident that resulted in 13.5K comprehensive claim 4 months ago. I am just crossing my fingers that I don't have to file a claim so soon. I am willing to pay out of pocket as long as it doesn't exceed my comprehensive deductible of 500 bucks by large margin.

I don't have any answers. My MY issue is pitting on the rear doors. After 1 winter in western MT. My back door panels are pitted. Tesla said no to warranty, I puchased mudflaps and ppf from Tesla. which were not available last June 2020. Anyone else see this issue? Aluminum door panels, local body shop says go away. Can the ppf be applied over this slight pitting. and where are authorized body shops in Mt, Id, or western Wa.?