Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any suggestions to remove tape adhesive from leather seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my model 3 yesterday and my wife realized that there is a tape adhesive residue left on backside of the headrest located rear left seat. There were probably some kind of cover to protect that area during production and they forgot to remove it until sale.

It seems it can come off easily with goo-gone etc. but I fear if it damages to leather itself.
Any suggestions?

Yes and it’s not an engine it’s an electric motor, it’s not a gas pedal it’s an accelerator, it’s not an [historically accurate term that in no way hinders the conversation because everyone with common sense knows what is being discussed].
Really? Most people who don't spend a lot of time on this web site DO NOT realize the seats are pleather. Knowing the material is important when choosing cleaning methods. You assume too much.

Best trick I have found for removing any non-drying adhesive (e.g. not glue) is to take some duct tape, preferably Gorrilla Tape, and blot the affected area. Repeat with a 1-2" area of clean tape every 10 blots.

Also a little trick is to pull at an an angle instead of straight up. This seems to help dislodge the adhesive. I've used this technique on numerous trouble spots, even clothing and carpet, with good results.

Regardless of the surface (even porous), as long as there is some malleability in the adhesive the duct tape should pull it off although it may take a dozen or so cycles.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Resurrecting this old thread because I had gum smeared into the back seat....The duct tape was effective at removing the gum, but I'm still left with a "stain" or residue. Tried iso alcohol and dawn suds to no avail....any suggestions?
These photos might be deceiving...it's actually not visible from some angles

Attachments

• E147DDFA-A3E1-4351-9845-FEC48FFE758B.jpeg
    E147DDFA-A3E1-4351-9845-FEC48FFE758B.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 235
  • A0A97C77-5437-4E9A-A143-8597803574A2.jpeg
    A0A97C77-5437-4E9A-A143-8597803574A2.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 63