Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tall drivers take delivery of the refreshed S yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here, hello everyone.

Currently waiting on my S, ordered in May for theoretical September delivery. But I'm increasingly nervous after reading about the seats being moved forward to increase rear seat legroom.

I'm 6'7" and most sedans are a challenging fit for me. I've never found the Model 3 acceptable - the steering wheel is mounted far too low and I can't comfortably fit my legs underneath it. The old S was OK, but not amazing. Naturally Teslas have ample headroom with the glass roof. In most cars headroom is the bigger issue for me, but in Teslas it's the legroom.

Has anyone of similarly expansive dimensions taken possession yet? I'd love to hear some first hand accounts.

I love that I now have a reservation for $5K less than the current selling price. But I hate that there is simply no way I'll be able to test drive, or even sit in this car before I actually pay for it.

Right now I'm on the fence, and hopefully someone here can assuage my concerns.

Thanks

We have an refreshed S and a Y and I had a 2018S. While I’m not as tall as you, I (still) do have to angle myself into and out of the S differently (whether in the old S or new). While I distinctly noted that the rear seat felt more roomy in the refreshed S, I didn’t get a sense of restriction (less room in the front seat). That said, I think for your height, as great as the S is, if it were me, I’d probably look to the Y or a X refresh when it comes, as I’d expect that would just be so much more inherently comfortable. Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE the refreshed S more that I can quantify, but I’m just wondering if you’d ultimately have a better, more comfortable day to day experience in one of those more height forgiving models?…If for nothing else, getting in and out of the car.

I’m 6’6. There’s less room under the yoke than the 3 because the yoke is quite wide so turning will have it hit your legs. However, that’s the same for me in the 3 anyway. But my legs sit to the left and right of the steering wheel in my 3 and in the S so it’s a non issue for me.

That said, if you don’t drive like that, I don’t think you’ll be happy with the S. If anything, adjusting the seat all the way down and the yoke all the way up and out toward you (to increase height), I still felt that maybe the yoke is a touch lower than the wheel in the 3 set the same.

Your overall height is less important than the length of your legs and torso, so your experience might be different from someone else of the same height. For example, I’m (only) 6’1” but I have long legs and a short torso, so other people my height might have more legroom but less headroom. The only way you’ll know how the car fits you is to sit in one, and hopefully you’ll find a way to do that before taking delivery.

Your overall height is less important than the length of your legs and torso, so your experience might be different from someone else of the same height. For example, I’m (only) 6’1” but I have long legs and a short torso, so other people my height might have more legroom but less headroom. The only way you’ll know how the car fits you is to sit in one, and hopefully you’ll find a way to do that before taking delivery.
Absolutely. At 6'4" I have no issues in either our S or 3, but it depends on how one might be built. I just happen to be perfect.

The problem with my overall height is that I'm a very proportional 6'7" - long legs, and a long torso. I'm a 36" inseam, with a long torso too, so I always need headroom and legroom. It would actually be a lot easier to fit into cars if I was one of those tall people with either a really long torso and normal legs (Like Michael Phelps) or someone with really long legs and a normal torso (Like a lot of MLB pitchers).

I think I'm going to hold off on taking any kind of delivery until I can sit in the car. That seems like the only logical solution. I do understand why so many are suggesting the Y or the X, but that's a non-starter. I hate SUVs, and I love to drive. Being high up and disconnected from the road takes all the joy out of driving. Besides, I'm taller than everyone else all the time. I don't need to be high up when I'm driving.

Thanks for all the help from everyone who replied. I think I'll just have to wait and see when Tesla is gonna let me see one of these things in the flesh.

Reactions: Ormond
The problem with my overall height is that I'm a very proportional 6'7" - long legs, and a long torso. I'm a 36" inseam, with a long torso too, so I always need headroom and legroom. It would actually be a lot easier to fit into cars if I was one of those tall people with either a really long torso and normal legs (Like Michael Phelps) or someone with really long legs and a normal torso (Like a lot of MLB pitchers).

I think I'm going to hold off on taking any kind of delivery until I can sit in the car. That seems like the only logical solution. I do understand why so many are suggesting the Y or the X, but that's a non-starter. I hate SUVs, and I love to drive. Being high up and disconnected from the road takes all the joy out of driving. Besides, I'm taller than everyone else all the time. I don't need to be high up when I'm driving.

Thanks for all the help from everyone who replied. I think I'll just have to wait and see when Tesla is gonna let me see one of these things in the flesh.
I'm similar (6'8" with 36" inseam), and need to _sit_ in the refreshed Tesla Model S.

I am only 6'2" but I have a bum left knee and I am a lot happier if that leg can be straight when driving; not bent at all. I knew I might have a problem, but I was hoping that I might be ok with adjusting the seat controls or perhaps taking out the dead pedal. So far that has not worked out for me. Is it possible that the whole seat can be re-tooled to go back a few inches? I only received the car on December 6th, but this might be a deal killer for me. I put my original deposit down in June 2021 so I will not be faced with a loss. It is an incredible car.

Reactions: Ormond
I'm bringing this thread up again with the unfortunate news that I've decided the Model S isn't for me. I have a reservation locked in at $79,990 which is amazing, but I've read too many things about the new design not being tall friendly, so I've decided to go another direction. I'm going to be putting my reservation up for sale in the marketplace. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.