Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tall Model S owners yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're over 6' tall and own a Model S, can you post your thoughts on headroom, including both driving/riding as well as ingress/egress?

My wife and I did some test riding in a friend's Model S this weekend (with sunroof), and was wondering if the headroom issues we encountered are something that you adapt to in your seating position or not.

6'2" here. I paid particular attention during the test drives -- also my wife is 6' and has long legs with a short-torso, so we pay a lot of attention to room. When I reviewed the video of my test drive, I didn't see any compensation, and I had plenty of room above my head. As for rear seats, I didn't spend any time there so I can't comment.

My car arrives in 2-3 weeks. I can update then, but I don't expect a change there.

6'2", mostly in torso (30" inseam). I found it easier to enter/exit when I created an "exit" drive profile that moves the driving wheel all the way forward. Once I sit down I then select my profile and the wheel extends to an easy reach.

No problem with head room, but I haven't tried the rear seats as I don't plan to ever be in them.

Im 6'1" and paid a lot of attention to this. It's been said many times that the pano roof adds more than an inch of headroom.

I have no problem driving a non pano Model S. Unless you wear a hat or have a LOT of hair it won't matter much. Besides, most people recline their seat a little when they drive anyway.

The back seat is another story. The way the seats are, you do seem to sit fairly high. If you or tall passengers sit in the back a lot you might want to consider the pano roof. That being said, when you sit back completely everyone hits their head on the roof as it slopes down to meet the back window.

I hope that helps.

I am 6 feet tall and have a 32 inch inseam. I was completely comfortable in the front seat during my two test drives. One car had a pano roof and the other did not. I made no adjustments.

I also rode in the back during the test drives as well. In the car with the body-colored roof, I could more or less sit erect, but my head touched the ceiling and I eventually slouched a little bit. In the car with the pano roof, I had no issues sitting in the back seat.

Of course, in both situations, my wife (all 5'2" of her) was in front and I had plenty of leg room!

I am just over 6' had no issues driving at all and was OK in the rear seat. I was driven around for awhile as passenger and had plenty of headroom. My son is 6' 2" had no problem front or rear.

It's been said many times that the pano roof adds more than an inch of headroom.

But that's only in the center, left to right. You still have the sides of the roof to contend with. On turns does your head not come close or even hit the roof near the side?

I read here about someone 6'8" thinking headroom was OK, and I just can't believe it, based on my test sittings, rides, and drives. Maybe the trick is to lower the seat all the way down, but that can hurt visibility as well as have the steering wheel block the gauges, right?

I sat in the back of an MSP with sunroof, and when the driver floored it without me anticipating, my head snapped back into the roof hard. The headrests in the back are apparently for kids only.

I sat in the back of an MSP with sunroof, and when the driver floored it without me anticipating, my head snapped back into the roof hard. The headrests in the back are apparently for kids only.

I noticed this too. I'm 6'2" and when I sat in the back during my wife's test drive I couldn't rest my head back without touching the slopping roof (it was non-pano beta). We are getting the pano roof and I'm curious to see how I fit in the back row then. I any case, my wife has told me that given what she saw during her test drive I will be forbidden from riding in the back (perfectly fine with me, not that I was planning on doing so anyway!)! :biggrin:

At 4:30 He tests the back-seat and is plenty happy with leg- and headroom.

Here's a still frame of him in the rear seat:
Screen shot 2012-10-29 at 11.44.50 AM.png

Look how high his knees are. Also note the top of his head. My son is the same height, and one of us will have to sit in the back sometimes. He says it's OK, too, but I wonder if he'll still be saying that 3 hours into a 5 hour ride to LA. That's why I started this thread for owners to report back, since they're the only ones with some real world seat time.

Here's a still frame of him in the rear seat: View attachment 11141

He says it's OK, too, but I wonder if he'll still be saying that 3 hours into a 5 hour ride to LA. That's why I started this thread for owners to report back, since they're the only ones with some real world seat time.

By the time you reach hour #3, you'll likely have to stop for a break and a charge, unless you drive 55 with no climate control. Then he can get out and stretch the legs and back

Nobody driving highway speeds will nail 5 hours in a model S unless they range charge and hyper mile.

I'm 6'2" and 240lb, with a short torso. I've got the pano roof and have no issues with headroom, either front or rear; the rear seat is surprisingly comfortable as long as the occupant of the front seat is willing to move the seat forward a few inches and raise it a bit to create toe space. My only complaint with the driver's seating position is how far forward the B-pillar sits with respect to the seat when the seat is near its aft limit. Since I drive with the seat almost all the way back I need the steering wheel fully extended (fully aft): in that configuration the fore-and-aft distance between the B-pillar and the steering wheel is a little tight for me on entry/exit (I'm admittedly a wide body). I'm going to wear out the corner of the leather panel on the B-pillar where it protrudes in toward the center of the cabin to match up with the armrest built into the door. Since I created an "Easy Entry" profile with the steering wheel fully forward and the seat fully aft, getting in and out of the car is a lot easier. The problem is remembering to select that profile before getting out of the car: it's not yet habit.

I'm 6'8. I think the headroom is better than the panamera for me. I don't like how the dash screens are blocked by the steering wheel when the seat is all the way down though, I did fit in the back when my wife drove, but maybe I'm mostly legs? I also have an issue with the lack of steering wheel moving up on exit so I hit my legs getting out. I have pics but can't upload from my ipad.

Last edited: