Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any third party, LED rear tail lights for the Model S instead of the crappy, 2000s looking ones we have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should stop reading these threads. :) The rear taillight is one thing that makes me scratch my head about the refreshed S.

Have a S on order with EDD next month, and wondering if Tesla just ran out of time and pushed this car out. Then next year will surprise us with a new tail light. They did this when Model Y initially came out with the old center console and no heated steering wheel, and then updated a few months later.

I should stop reading these threads. :) The rear taillight is one thing that makes me scratch my head about the refreshed S.

Have a S on order with EDD next month, and wondering if Tesla just ran out of time and pushed this car out. Then next year will surprise us with a new tail light. They did this when Model Y initially came out with the old center console and no heated steering wheel, and then updated a few months later.
At this point, if Tesla did in fact come out with updated tails for the S, I wouldn't be mad at that. Just as long as I can purchase them and it can be installed on my current S. I doubt they will though.

Don't get me wrong, I think the actual shape and styling of the tail lights looks great on the S. It's the infused LED look that I think would make a big difference in making it look updated. Just look at the new Range Rover, they took the infused LED look to a whole new level.

On a side note, does anyone know how to wire up the inner tail lights (the ones fixed on the trunk) to act as the brake lights as well? It looks kind of weird when the DRLs are turned off and when braking, only the outer tails light up.

At this point, if Tesla did in fact come out with updated tails for the S, I wouldn't be mad at that. Just as long as I can purchase them and it can be installed on my current S. I doubt they will though.

Don't get me wrong, I think the actual shape and styling of the tail lights looks great on the S. It's the infused LED look that I think would make a big difference in making it look updated. Just look at the new Range Rover, they took the infused LED look to a whole new level.
That's true. Not likely they will reshape the metal exterior. I would be happy if we can purchase new lights and retrofit.

You cannot stop it can you?
It’s getting pathological with you.
The Plaid is a 95% NEW CAR.
Everything, read EVERYTHING for the realtors, is changed except the front doors and tail lights. Even the hood is new.
I agree that the taillights are a missed opportunity but your constant frustrations are annoying.
I must sadly agree with Amped; I just sold my Plaid and bought a 2018 S. The differences between the two are so minor, really just comes down to the screen and the power. The rest is mostly trivial. Couldn't justify keeping the Plaid when I could have an '18 S with only 19k miles for $70k less. I will miss that power however!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
For what it's worth: when driving the new S, I now care *wildly* less about the rear tail light. I would ...possibly... spend a bit of money to do a headlight swap/upgrade, should matrix headlights be retrofittable. For the rears... I like them from what I've seen, and I'd also consider an upgrade if the price were right. But either way - not losing any sleep over these. The car is pretty awesome!

411968A1-1254-4A41-985D-35398EBC1F07.jpeg
5C05CE6B-99CB-4971-A447-DB7ABB135DAE.jpeg

Have you guys seen this?! Unbelievable that Tesla is screwing us early “refresh” delivery holders. These are supposedly the new front and rear lights. WTF it’s so awesome, yet at the same time so freaking frustrating!!!!! I shouldn’t have to now pay to get this new updated design retrofit, if it even allows. It should have come with the car since the beginning of the refresh cycle 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

View attachment 754396View attachment 754397
Have you guys seen this?! Unbelievable that Tesla is screwing us early “refresh” delivery holders. These are supposedly the new front and rear lights. WTF it’s so awesome, yet at the same time so freaking frustrating!!!!! I shouldn’t have to now pay to get this new updated design retrofit, if it even allows. It should have come with the car since the beginning of the refresh cycle 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
They did it so you buy again. BMW does the same crap too. Incandescent tails then LED tail refresh 2 years later to stoke demand

Reactions: r3nd3r
They did it so you buy again. BMW does the same crap too. Incandescent tails then LED tail refresh 2 years later to stoke demand
except this isn't 2 years later... its like 5-6 months later.
i wonder what these will cost if we can even retrofit... which im not even sure because the crossbar in the rear lights is no longer there. my 100K+ car is now outdated in less than 6 months LOL

except this isn't 2 years later... its like 5-6 months later.
i wonder what these will cost if we can even retrofit... which im not even sure because the crossbar in the rear lights is no longer there. my 100K+ car is now outdated in less than 6 months LOL
Look closely and you’ll notice that there is an indent where the plastic trim bar goes. So it looks like they are using the same hatch, just without the metal clip slots punched out where the trim clips on. I don’t think that crossbar trim will be an issue, someone can easily make something to fit in its place. Wiring might be a problem lol

• Informative
Look closely and you’ll notice that there is an indent where the plastic trim bar goes. So it looks like they are using the same hatch, just without the metal clip slots punched out where the trim clips on. I don’t think that crossbar trim will be an issue, someone can easily make something to fit in its place. Wiring might be a problem lol
youre right. i didnt see that indent. im still pissed LOL
what do you think that headlight will cost like 2k each? i totally hate the blotchy pattern/spread of the current ones

youre right. i didnt see that indent. im still pissed LOL
what do you think that headlight will cost like 2k each? i totally hate the blotchy pattern/spread of the current ones
Ya headlights are going to be expensive. They might not even work right unless you know someone at Tesla service to change the code in your car to recognize them. This will be interesting to watch as so many people have older Model S and will want to retrofit

• Informative
View attachment 754396View attachment 754397

Wow, that looks much nicer!

Are you new to Tesla or something? They've done this with basically every new release.

For example,
Model 3 - they had updates a month or two after to seats, suspension, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.
Model S/X facelift - Switched to AP2 about 6 months after they started shipping.

Ya headlights are going to be expensive. They might not even work right unless you know someone at Tesla service to change the code in your car to recognize them. This will be interesting to watch as so many people have older Model S and will want to retrofit
thanks for sharing your info and insight! i hope something can be done. i don't mind spending the money... i do mind and get frustrated buying a new car and it already looking outdated. >_<

Wow, that looks much nicer!

Are you new to Tesla or something? They've done this with basically every new release.

For example,
Model 3 - they had updates a month or two after to seats, suspension, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.
Model S/X facelift - Switched to AP2 about 6 months after they started shipping.
yes, i am new. this is my first tesla. i mean i knew they updated vehicles as they go... but for a "refresh" this almost seems as if they didnt have the parts in time to fit the first deliveries. all i can do is just wait and see what can be done to obtain these somehow.

thanks for sharing your info and insight! i hope something can be done. i don't mind spending the money... i do mind and get frustrated buying a new car and it already looking outdated. >_<
I picked up mine a week before the first spy photos of the tails showed up on Twitter. I almost didn’t pick up the car because I knew this would happen lol. FML. The tails really bother me. The design is cool but really wish they had the solid bar look like the 3 X and Y