Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any third party, LED rear tail lights for the Model S instead of the crappy, 2000s looking ones we have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just got my plaid down here in FL about a month ago. Love the car, but the thing that irks me is I dont understand how the model 3/y can have refreshed, modern looking tail lights while we are still stuck with something of decade's past.

Anyone know if a third party, custom LED lights for our rear? It'd look so sick, but I can't find any. Beginning to think they dont exist.

The only aftermarket solution I’ve seen is from Hautopart, which has something for the Model 3 and Y. I suspect they will come out with a similar set for the Model S.

The biggest secret Tesla hasn't told anyone is how little effort they put into the Model S "refresh" exterior. Even the headlights are the terrible ones from 2016 that failed IIHS tests and were rated POOR. Same tail lights from 9 years ago. Model X has newer and better light function. I don't understand people who pay $130,000 for a damn car and then have to swap out their 10 year old head/tail light designs.

Is 0-60 that important that you would pay Tesla $130,000 for a dated, 10 year old design with only half a steering wheel that makes cornering and driving switchbacks dangerous (see Edmund's review)? Musk really does see his customers as sheep ripe for milking. #nevertesla

Noticed the Model X even have the newer light designs, and they're not the refreshed models. What a rip off honestly. Its not that hard to update the current gen headlights/rear tail lights. They're suppose to be the luxury standard compared to the model 3/Y line, yet the model 3/y have better tail lights, and so i've heard, head lights.

You cannot stop it can you?
It’s getting pathological with you.
The Plaid is a 95% NEW CAR.
Everything, read EVERYTHING for the realtors, is changed except the front doors and tail lights. Even the hood is new.
I agree that the taillights are a missed opportunity but your constant frustrations are annoying.
what are you raging about? this is my first post in this forum lmao. 95%, i'd disagree. it is a 140k+ car, to leave you with stuff that the lower models have better is just shoddy business practice. I love the car, don't get me wrong. I wont return it. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with everything it has. Neither shill nor hater, just an observer.

Disagree. And propose an update:

Front lights: look cool, perform well.
Back lights: Looked great years ago, still look cool.

To each their own.

- Rating: poor
- The Model S lights have not been updated since this was published.

- Rating: good

In other words, the cheapest car Tesla sells comes with better lights than the just-refreshed, 2-3x expensive flagship sedan.

It doesn't take much in the way of opinions to draw conclusions from this.

When you factor in the subjective tests of people like Bjorn Nyland, who does a lot of headlight reviews, you realize this isn't just one agency or one person's view.

If you love the MS's front light performance, more power to you. I don't.

Reactions: Cheburashka
The biggest secret Tesla hasn't told anyone is how little effort they put into the Model S "refresh" exterior. Even the headlights are the terrible ones from 2016 that failed IIHS tests and were rated POOR. Same tail lights from 9 years ago. Model X has newer and better light function. I don't understand people who pay $130,000 for a damn car and then have to swap out their 10 year old head/tail light designs.

Is 0-60 that important that you would pay Tesla $130,000 for a dated, 10 year old design with only half a steering wheel that makes cornering and driving switchbacks dangerous (see Edmund's review)? Musk really does see his customers as sheep ripe for milking. #nevertesla
Agreed 120%. I’ve been an S owner since late 2015. The 2016 update was the most significant redesign with updated (but inferior) front headlights and a new front and rear bumper diffuser, painted side tracks.

Now 5 yrs later, Tesla widens it yes but maintains the exact same shape, revised front and revised rear ‘diffuser’ plus blacked out trim (which is around $300 for any chrome owners out there). The exterior rear lights remaining as is while the X has has the new LED style since 2016 is frankly insulting. It means T will get away with whatever they can.

I see so many reviews now from new Tesla MS owners saying ‘omg best car ever, gorgeous all around, beautiful, so much space, fastest car ever, front trunk…etc etc Makes me laugh lol as the S was already all of this in 2012 and again in 2016. Now everyone finally noticing?!

Interior yes agreed. 100% different.

I know that this is a long shot, but if there are any vendors that are looking at this thread to create aftermarket taillights for the Model S, I would def purchase them. Its the one thing that I think would make a big difference.

Reactions: baldwin