Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any third party, LED rear tail lights for the Model S instead of the crappy, 2000s looking ones we have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up mine a week before the first spy photos of the tails showed up on Twitter. I almost didn’t pick up the car because I knew this would happen lol. FML. The tails really bother me. The design is cool but really wish they had the solid bar look like the 3 X and Y
apparently people hate when you get frustrated or when it bothers you a supposed refresh gets delivered with 6+ year old lights and then they switch them 6 months after the “refresh” version begins deliveries. you should have seen all the haters on twitter when I said I was frustrated for this lol

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
apparently people hate when you get frustrated or when it bothers you a supposed refresh gets delivered with 6+ year old lights and then they switch them 6 months after the “refresh” version begins deliveries. you should have seen all the haters on twitter when I said I was frustrated for this lol

Tesla doesn't care too much about existing owners IMO. It is likely they will offer a retrofit if enough noise is made by current owners to Elons twitter though.

Idk if I have used the word retrofit correctly. I’m not asking for a free part. All I’m asking is to buy the part and hopefully it still works on my car. I guess people really do think I’m asking for a free replacement part from tesla lol

It sucks they don’t care. I’m so annoyed at this. To the point where I’m considering selling my S and purchasing a new one with these updates. I am only considering this because I’d like to keep my S for a really long time. I want to drive with the best headlights they have. The current ones have such a blotchy pattern… yes I know you can argue with me about them still updating many things in the future… but the current headlight tech has been on the S for like 6+ (Idk) years!

I got all sorts of hate from twitter just because I wanted to know if I could fit the new tail and headlights. Give me a break! LOL I even got blocked by this high-headed guy, Sawyer Merrit, because I was having the same discussion as I am on here. I guess his follower count is really starting to get to his head.

Anyways, I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s my first 100k+ car— I don’t feel entitled to anything and I hope people don’t think I’m being snobby. ALL I WANT IS TO BE ABLE TO BUY THOSE NEW LIGHTS LOL.

Idk if I have used the word retrofit correctly. I’m not asking for a free part. All I’m asking is to buy the part and hopefully it still works on my car. I guess people really do think I’m asking for a free replacement part from tesla lol

It sucks they don’t care. I’m so annoyed at this. To the point where I’m considering selling my S and purchasing a new one with these updates. I am only considering this because I’d like to keep my S for a really long time. I want to drive with the best headlights they have. The current ones have such a blotchy pattern… yes I know you can argue with me about them still updating many things in the future… but the current headlight tech has been on the S for like 6+ (Idk) years!

I got all sorts of hate from twitter just because I wanted to know if I could fit the new tail and headlights. Give me a break! LOL I even got blocked by this high-headed guy, Sawyer Merrit, because I was having the same discussion as I am on here. I guess his follower count is really starting to get to his head.

Anyways, I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s my first 100k+ car— I don’t feel entitled to anything and I hope people don’t think I’m being snobby. ALL I WANT IS TO BE ABLE TO BUY THOSE NEW LIGHTS LOL.
I hear you man. The tail lights bothered me so much that I bought an extra set to dissect and figure out how to get that solid LED look. The headlights suck big time but at least they still look cool

View attachment 754396View attachment 754397
Have you guys seen this?! Unbelievable that Tesla is screwing us early “refresh” delivery holders. These are supposedly the new front and rear lights. WTF it’s so awesome, yet at the same time so freaking frustrating!!!!! I shouldn’t have to now pay to get this new updated design retrofit, if it even allows. It should have come with the car since the beginning of the refresh cycle 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Any more info on where these shots were taken? Was it in EU or in NA? Also, why would they take a picture of the side of the vehicle versus a direct shot of the tail lights. I swear, these guys love teasing us.

Honestly, I don't mind the current headlights. They look great, and to me, function fine. It's the updated taillights that i'm drooling over.

Based on the spyshots currently circulating, found a nice rendering of what it ‘should’ look like: Wxceot charge port same as current.

Attachments

• 2CCC915B-5B71-4082-9E67-78EB4D72F91E.jpeg
    2CCC915B-5B71-4082-9E67-78EB4D72F91E.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 203
Tesla doesn't care too much about existing owners IMO. It is likely they will offer a retrofit if enough noise is made by current owners to Elons twitter though.

The problem with this is any new taillight/headlight has to go through extensive DOT testing. So whatever they release is what it will be. IMO it's very very unlikely that Tesla will change the design to allow for a retrofit. Either it will fit out of the gate, or it will fit with someone coming up with a kit to adapt it. I'm guessing they're CAN which I think means any new light would require programming... But people have developed canbus emulators before so who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up

Anybody ever get anymore info on this? I have a late build yr 2020 Tesla Model S “Long Range Plus”, just bought it but the one thing im not a fan of is the taillights;
would love to have a clean LED set but if not possible ima tint them i guess prolly, I love my first Tesla and am all setup and got it just about done w/ the addons after 3 wks of ownership but do i have any options to change these tail lights to some’n a lil more attractive? Appreciate any replies, thanks in advance

I just saw these driving during the day in the rain, so I assu.e the headlights are on. Why do they look like they are braking (blindingly bright) when they are not? Is that normal for the new design?View attachment 977382
Can these be added to a 2020 tesla model S long range omus? Any idea if they’ll fit? Thats what id like to add, some type Of LED tail light; Anyways, they’re prolly just that bright..they tend to
Pop and are extremely noticeable as well as much nicer and more modern looking (good features for tails imo)