Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any thoughts about a V2H option for the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears to me that you were caught trying to abuse the intended function, and somehow, that upsets you? Are you upset because you were caught, or because Tesla is not offering unlimited electricity to power your home, swimming pool pump, work shop, ...?

Scannerman

A little baffled here. Maybe I am missing the joke. How does one abuse a system that does not exist?
or
Are you saying what Tesla would say to a customer who abuses the system if it existed?
If that is the case. Well... Tesla already tried that and got a nightmare on their hands. Elon did state the SC network is for long distance travel. That argument still rages among customers and fans.

Isn't the ability to suck power out of a car an inherent (standard) part of the CHAdeMO interface? Just get that option in the car, and (I presume off the shelf) the appropriate inverter and house interfacing, and you're done.

No?

Isn't the ability to suck power out of a car an inherent (standard) part of the CHAdeMO interface? Just get that option in the car, and (I presume off the shelf) the appropriate inverter and house interfacing, and you're done.

No?
But the chademo adapter still connects you to the Tesla charge port, which is only an input. You can't pull power from the Tesla charge port, chademo adapter or not.

I think this would be an AWESOME feature that should not be hard to do. The Tesla charger is designed for 70-80 amps of power going to the car so why not be able to have the car run in reverse and power the house when needed. This would easily meet the power requirements of the average home.

I think this would be an AWESOME feature that should not be hard to do. The Tesla charger is designed for 70-80 amps of power going to the car so why not be able to have the car run in reverse and power the house when needed. This would easily meet the power requirements of the average home.
A charger is one-way (AC->battery). To do V2H, you'd need to add a completely new inverter circuit, totally independent of the charger.

Tell that to Nissan who has it as an option in Japan. The feature was quite handy after the tsunami.
So? All that means is there's an independent inverter installed in the car if you order the option. You can't magically reverse a Tesla's 80A charger and have the car put out 80A of AC. The charger and the inverter would be completely independent of each other.

Not saying it can't be done, but it wouldn't be cheap.

It appears to me that you were caught trying to abuse the intended function, and somehow, that upsets you? Are you upset because you were caught, or because Tesla is not offering unlimited electricity to power your home, swimming pool pump, work shop, ...?

Scannerman

You don't appear to realize you are;

1. Responding to a post that is about a month old.
2. Responding to a fictional account of what Tesla might do if their car could be used as an emergency power source, which it can't.

There are a lot of ways that Tesla could provide this feature and still protect themselves, but I don't expect they will offer it because there would almost definitely be some cost to them involved. Elon would tell you that they already make a product that suits that need, the insanely overpriced power wall.

You don't appear to realize you are;

1. Responding to a post that is about a month old.
2. Responding to a fictional account of what Tesla might do if their car could be used as an emergency power source, which it can't.

There are a lot of ways that Tesla could provide this feature and still protect themselves, but I don't expect they will offer it because there would almost definitely be some cost to them involved. Elon would tell you that they already make a product that suits that need, the insanely overpriced power wall.

Point taken regarding fictional account.

Scannerman