Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot - Charging slowed - Poor grid power quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B6B639E8-CB6E-4388-9D13-ADEAAC520C44.jpeg

M3 2018 AWD connected to Tesla Wall Power both purchased in Sep 2018. Was working fine and charging at 48 A until yesterday when it was limited to 32 A.

Initially got different error message but following a power cycle of the wall connector and update to 2021.4.3 this is the new error. Tesla messages confirm car reports issue with incoming power.

Should I call the electrician that installed? What should they be looking for?

OP saw you are in Buffalo. With this cold weather could your utility be having issues maintaining power in the cold? Otherwise I would suspect a wiring connection issue (does come loose over time and might need tightening), that or possibly an equipment issue.

BTW noticed the bottom alert. I’ve had that one a few times when I “parked” my car while sitting in the parking lot of Starbucks in order to drink my drivethru coffee. Had pulled into the parking space (car stopped and stationary with “Hold”) leaving car On and didn’t put into Park.

View attachment 636141

M3 2018 AWD connected to Tesla Wall Power both purchased in Sep 2018. Was working fine and charging at 48 A until yesterday when it was limited to 32 A.

Initially got different error message but following a power cycle of the wall connector and update to 2021.4.3 this is the new error. Tesla messages confirm car reports issue with incoming power.

Should I call the electrician that installed? What should they be looking for?
We also got the same error message, code PCS_a019 after the February update. Made appointment right away and Tesla diagnosed it fairly quickly on our M3P... faulty PCS!
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.01.36 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_7186 3.PNG
    IMG_7186 3.PNG
    4.5 MB · Views: 568
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: bradjc and KenC
I'm having the same issue with my M3. For a few months I've had the issue popping up and limited charging to 32A (usually charges at 40A). Finally 2 nights ago it stopped charging (tesla wall charger circuit breaker tripped) and it was only charging at 16A. Finally reached out to tesla support and they immediately said I need to have PCU replaced at 56k miles! So out of warranty with a $1800 estimate. Tried to push for it under Battery warranty, but they said it's not part of that system.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Hi all
Anyone have an update on this issue. I have been charging off the Tesla wall charger at 42A for the past 3 years. Recently I had my 12v battery issue and Tesla replaced it. Since then I can only charge at 32a off the wall charger however it works fine at the supercharger. Any thoughts?

Hi all
Anyone have an update on this issue. I have been charging off the Tesla wall charger at 42A for the past 3 years. Recently I had my 12v battery issue and Tesla replaced it. Since then I can only charge at 32a off the wall charger however it works fine at the supercharger. Any thoughts?

You need to submit a service request. "it works fine at superchargers" doesnt have anything at all to do with the onboard chargers in your car, and "my charging used to charge at 48amps but now only charges at 32amps" is a classic symptom of issues with the onboard chargers.

"The update" is submit a service request and get it looked at.

I got this same message last night. My Model 3 AWD is 4 years old and I have never had an issue in the past with charging at home. I have a Tesla wall charger. Was there anything definitive on this issue? Is it a car issue or a charger/connection issue?
I removed the connecter and reconnected it and the charging started up again. But in the app I could see the charging was fluctuating between 0kW and 9kW constantly. It took about 4 hours to go from 60% to 80%. In the past it would complete the charging with the same amount in about an 1.5 hours. Thanks.