TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any tickets from Launch Mode ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ShotgunF15E, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Has anyone gotten a ticket from simply using Launch Mode on a public street?

I'm not talking about speeding tickets or other infractions. Just looking to see if any law enforcement has observed a launch mode and deemed it reckless or unsafe and pulled over the car even though the posted speed limit was not exceeded.

2. SDRick

SDRick Member

Good question. I doubt many since no one really notices these stealth machines. With ICE everyone instinctively turns their head toward the "offender" because of the noise.

3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

The car doesn't really go any faster in launch mode.

5. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

This is a remarkably imprecise statement. Faster than the speed limit? Faster than a Camaro? Faster than the speed of light? It certainly is faster than non launch mode during that portion of the acceleration curve.

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It's really not. It hardly does anything, unless you had already handi-capped your car by enabling creep mode.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Launch mode pre-stresses the drive components and saves a small fraction of a second in 0-60, but the difference wouldn't be enough for a police officer to notice.

My personal observation is that since these cars are no-drama and quiet when accelerating, they don't quite get noticed as much as a tire screetcher and cylinder banger.

However, there's no guarantee you won't get pulled over for launching at a light.

8. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It does nothing. Slip start launch is still faster

• Like x 1
  9. Todd Burch

Depends on the driving surface and tires. Are you suggesting Tesla's engineers added it just to be cute?

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Yes. Even DragTimes was only getting about 0.05 out of it, and they never recorded a time with slip start, which is clearly faster in my car.

11. Todd Burch

So you just agreed with what I posted. What is your point? This thread is not "how do I get the fastest 0-60 times?", nor is it "is launch mode faster than slip start?"

The comment was in comparison to a regular launch (ie flooring it).

12. Todd Burch

And incidentally, you can't post an argument that "it does nothing" and then in the next post say it saves 0.05sec, as if that contradicts my statement that it saves a small fraction of a second. Unless you're just looking to be argumentative just for giggles.

13. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

The thread is if anyone is going to get a ticket for using launch mode. My point is, it's not any faster. Why would you get more tickets for not going any faster?

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

That is nothing.

15. Todd Burch

You wouldn't. I never said you would...

16. Todd Burch

The difference is meaningless in the context of a police officer giving you a ticket for launching.

It is not meaningless in the context of a drag race.

17. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Yes
    and you still shouldn't use it as above because it's not as fast as the car can go.

18. Todd Burch

I still don't have a clue what you're arguing in relation to this thread, so I'll move on.

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Gotta love the gimmicks!

20. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

You clowns are totally missing my point. My point and question is, has anyone gotten a ticket for launching at a stop light? I don't care what mode you're in. I'm curious if any police have taken issue with the rate of acceleration and tried to claim it was either reckless or racing and given a ticket for it. Thanks. Sorry if my OP was confusing you.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2