Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips for protecting seat material?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has 80,000 miles and frankly after 5 years it's not looking too bad inside. The main areas of wear are on the driver headrest, the door handle area and the centre console arm rest since these are the primarily touch points while I drive. Is there anything I can do to protect them from further wear? The headrest in particular looks like it's getting close to really tearing apart and of course that kind of dumb integrated (rather than removable) design makes it an expensive fix. I don't want to use a cheesy seat cover and that wouldn't help the arm rest areas anyway. I wondered if there was some kind of vinyl protection spray that would keep things from falling apart over the next 100,000 miles.

My car has 80,000 miles and frankly after 5 years it's not looking too bad inside. The main areas of wear are on the driver headrest, the door handle area and the centre console arm rest since these are the primarily touch points while I drive. Is there anything I can do to protect them from further wear? The headrest in particular looks like it's getting close to really tearing apart and of course that kind of dumb integrated (rather than removable) design makes it an expensive fix. I don't want to use a cheesy seat cover and that wouldn't help the arm rest areas anyway. I wondered if there was some kind of vinyl protection spray that would keep things from falling apart over the next 100,000 miles.
I know people looked unsuccessfully for head rest covers (unfortunately they don't sell them separately).

I bought the following set (when it shipped from Amazon) which does come with head rest covers (as well as a armrest) that are separate from the seat cover, although the color I chose (and the material of the cover) does not match factory (they do sell a black one that perhaps matches better). I suggested people ask vendor if they can sell the headrest cover separately, but not sure if anyone tried to ask.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GPSJG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Note the headrest is removable. May be easier to keep a tab on eBay and buy a used headrest if one pops up that is a good deal and in good condition, instead of trying to come up with covers.

Last edited:
There is ceramic coating that can be applied. But, no telling how long the protection will last. People have posted that even with the ceramic coating on their white seats they still had blue transfer from their jeans.

Ceramic leather coating is a sacrificial layer only and will not prevent dye transfer because dye will transfer to other surfaces on contact. However it should make for easy wipedowns and removal of dye. New jeans should always be washed several times in cold water before you wear them on the seats and older jeans should be washed periodically. If you aren't washing your jeans regularly or even periodically you are subjecting your white seats to a lot of accumulated filth from the numerous surfaces you have placed your ass and dye release over time.