Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Tips for WiFi Issues? Can't Connect anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2019 X since October 2019, never had this problem and then in the last 45-60 days or so this started and I can't get it to stop.

It will no longer connect to my wifi.

To be clear, I changed nothing. I'm in IT, and I actually have a hotspot in my garage for my cars and other home automation tools. They're hardwired to a 24 port switch which has an external gateway to the internet. I have over 50 devices across the four APs, and two adults working from home, and four kids going to school at home. My wifi is working on all of those, but my X will not connect.

I have a Ubiquiti UAP which is a 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and it's literally 5 feet in front of my car when it's parked. So it's not a signal issue.

I have confirmation fro the management tools that other devices are connected to the garage hotspot. They all work fine.

The lack of error messages makes this really hard to troubleshoot.

The X is on 2020.28.5 and it took three or four tries of 'connect/disconnect/forget' the wifi before it worked, after that applied I'm unable to get the firmware updated at all.

Was there some secret tweak to the wifi on these cars that might cause a problem? Like did they stop using a channel, stop using a frequency, or anything I can check? It's driving me nuts that it won't work. I've reset the infotainment system 5 or 6 times, I've driven away from the house for several hours not being on network, come back to not connect. I've done about all I can think of that isn't in the car. The only thing I can't do is buy a tool to scan the radios and watch what happens as them are expensive :D

One thing I like to do is have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Some devices work better on one versus the other. Some devices need speed some need range. Letting the devices decide for themselves sometimes causes issues. Also some devices don’t do well with wide bands.

I also set fixed IP in DHCP for all my devices so that they get consistent IP’s.

My 2019 X LR is connecting fine and just updated to 2020.36.

If the car connects to other WiFis (like phone hotspot or Starbucks) than it might well be DHCP on garage router. Likely you tried but not mentioned forgetting the network. Lasts resort would be resetting the car to factory defaults

My '16 X never really had issues with WiFi. However, my M3 does have issues. On the M3, if my SSID is hidden, I can't connect (the initial setup), so I unhide the SSID. join the network, then hide it again, that seems to work fine. Not really sure if it's the same issue, you didn't say if the SSID is hidden or not. Even when hidden, my X had no issues with the SSID. Weird.

-ThinkMac-

I've had my 2019 X since October 2019, never had this problem and then in the last 45-60 days or so this started and I can't get it to stop.
It will no longer connect to my wifi.
To be clear, I changed nothing. I'm in IT, and I actually have a hotspot in my garage for my cars and other home automation tools. They're hardwired to a 24 port switch which has an external gateway to the internet. I have over 50 devices across the four APs, and two adults working from home, and four kids going to school at home. My wifi is working on all of those, but my X will not connect.
I have a Ubiquiti UAP which is a 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and it's literally 5 feet in front of my car when it's parked. So it's not a signal issue.

I am running the same Wifi setup, except I have only two APs. Newer Teslas (since 2018 MCU2 at least) will negotiate 802.11ac, so it will help if all your APs are on both bands, signing the same SSID sets throughout. I found that it works best (easier) if your SSID has no special characters, including spaces in the name. Same with the password. I think there may be some idiosyncrasies with the special characters in the Tesla Keyboard. You might be typing a dash on the Tesla keyboard, but it might not be the same dash you used when setting up your wireless, using your laptop. I suspect the keyboard implementation in the Tesla could change with any software update. Little things like key character changes would never make it into the release notes.

Since you have four APs you certainly have some overlapping channels on 2.4 (there are only 3 non-overlapping 2.4 GHz channels, 1,6 and 11) so you might try temporarily dropping off the APs that are farthest away, and see if you can get any action. I've found that the wifi signal strength indicator in the car is very scotch, sometimes indicating a very weak signal, but it works fine. You also could try temporarily removing the password and see if it will connect to an open network, then putting the password back on. You might also try flushing the arp table on your router (IT folks know what that is).

There are free tools available to scan your Wifi environment that might help. I use something called "WiFi Explorer" on my MacBook Pro. You might find there are strong signals from a neighbor. Try it with your WiFi powered off, then boot the network back up and see if the automatic channel selection makes sense. You perhaps could force a different channel choice on the AP close to the car. in my case I let the wireless controller handle that automatically for me, and it has always worked fine. But your environment could be (probably is) wildly different from mine,

This all assumes you have not had a WiFi component failure in the Tesla, or an antenna conector that has fallen off, which is entirely possible.

Just had this problem with my 2021 Model Y. Would not display any Wi-Fi networks - as if the Wi-Fi was not actually searching for available networks. Decided to perform the screen reboot, pressing both scroll wheels for ten seconds. Sure enough, as soon as the screen came back on, the car had already recognized and connected to my home network.

Reactions: Bibliophile