Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips on light scratch removal ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My black M3P is coming up for a year old. There are a few light scratches around the boot and elsewhere.

Any tips on the best way to polish them out ? Should I use coloured polish ? I want to avoid having a polished area looking different from the rest of the car. Any products to recommend ? The light scratches look white.

Do they catch the fingernail?

I would recommend Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Used it to tidy up similar light scratches on my black TTRS before I sold it.

It is mildly abrasive, so it will make the area look a bit more polished, but that should only be noticeable if the rest of the car was really dull or satin, which I don't imagine it is!

If you're careful things like scratchX is good (someone else just suggested it while typing) but the "best" way is a quick brush over it with a machine polisher or see if you can find a friendly detailer or car polishing enthusiast to do it for you. It literally takes second if you have the right tool and the scratch isn't too deep.

The safest novice route is to get something like autoglym super resin polish which includes fillers that help mask light scratches (don't be put off by the word filler in this context._ . This doesn't harm the paint but only lasts a few months. Just put a little wax over the top afterwards.

It boils down to how bad the scratch is really.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Durzel
Do they catch the fingernail?

I would recommend Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Used it to tidy up similar light scratches on my black TTRS before I sold it.

It is mildly abrasive, so it will make the area look a bit more polished, but that should only be noticeable if the rest of the car was really dull or satin, which I don't imagine it is!

Thanks for the advice

If you're careful things like scratchX is good (someone else just suggested it while typing) but the "best" way is a quick brush over it with a machine polisher or see if you can find a friendly detailer or car polishing enthusiast to do it for you. It literally takes second if you have the right tool and the scratch isn't too deep.

The safest novice route is to get something like autoglym super resin polish which includes fillers that help mask light scratches (don't be put off by the word filler in this context._ . This doesn't harm the paint but only lasts a few months. Just put a little wax over the top afterwards.

It boils down to how bad the scratch is really.

I think I may end up with a electric polisher to keep the black in tip top condition

I think I may end up with a electric polisher to keep the black in tip top condition

I think meguires (probably spelt wrong) do a kit including a dual action polisher (dual action basically means it doesn’t just spin, the centre of the spin moves in circles which reduces the chance of buffer tails - you’re entering a world of witchcraft when it comes to polishing cars). Black is notoriously hard to keep looking good, but if you manage to it looks amazing, Id certainly try super resin polish first before you spend serious money.

Reactions: Jonny Ringo
Beware, an electric polisher, in the wrong hands can cause more harm than good, causing lots of micro marring.
If the scratches are really light then a hand applied polish should hide them, try Turtle Wax Hydrophobic Sealant (effective, inexpensive and easy to apply) or similar product. If this doesn't work best to get your car detailed by someone that knows what they are doing.