Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips or tricks for adjusting the hatch latch/striker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So I'd like to attempt some hatch adjustments to the latch/striker, and am wondering if anyone has done this and has some tips. I know it really just comes down to removing the plastic pieces on the hatch itself or body to allow access, but it is so dang easy to break a plastic piece if you don't "pop it off" correctly, etc.

In addition, I'm not sure if BOTH the latch and striker are adjustable or if it is just one...if the latter, it would save me some work if I knew which one to focus on.

Thanks!

So, to answer at least part of my own question. The striker (on the body) looks to be where most of the adjustment is. To get to it you just have to remove the single piece of trim that goes side to side on either side of the striker. I used a plastic trim tool to pop the edge up that is under the weatherstripping closest to one side and worked my way toward the middle and then did the same from teh other side. I think there are just 4 plastic push style pins that hold it in place.

The striker itself is on a plate and there are two torx head screws on either side. There appears to be a decent amount of adjustment both up and down and left/right (relatively speaking). There are also little gradient marks on there and you may have some paint marks from the factory.

A couple of pics as promised...
DSC00968.JPG
DSC00969.JPG