Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips to increase your chance of getting a Tesla Loaner while in for Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Taking my car in tomorrow to have the adaptive headlights installed along with several other issues I've been waiting to have looked at until the headlights came in. I expect the car to be in for a few days at least. The SC said they will set me up with an Enterprise Rental since the odds of having a Tesla are going to be slim. My car is going to be due for it's 1st annual service in about 1500 miles and I would like to try and set it up to increase my chances of getting a Tesla Loaner. This will be my first time taking the car in for service at all. Anyone have any tips for the best way to get a Tesla, or it just luck/chance?

Taking my car in tomorrow to have the adaptive headlights installed along with several other issues I've been waiting to have looked at until the headlights came in. I expect the car to be in for a few days at least. The SC said they will set me up with an Enterprise Rental since the odds of having a Tesla are going to be slim. My car is going to be due for it's 1st annual service in about 1500 miles and I would like to try and set it up to increase my chances of getting a Tesla Loaner. This will be my first time taking the car in for service at all. Anyone have any tips for the best way to get a Tesla, or it just luck/chance?

Make the appointment set as the first one at 9AM when they open for business.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

Try scheduling your service appt during the earliest time slot of the day. Or just tell your service advisor that you want a Tesla loaner and let you know what time slot they can have one for you. See what they say.

Try scheduling your service appt during the earliest time slot of the day. Or just tell your service advisor that you want a Tesla loaner and let you know what time slot they can have one for you. See what they say.

Ah damn I see. I made mine for 11am not knowing. I know when I asked about a Tesla loaner they said it didn't matter how far in advance I book, they can never guarantee/reserve one.

Ask for a Tesla when you make your appt. And be flexible on dates. My S was in for her 5 year annual recently, and I was schedule to get an S loaner (also took her in at 8 AM as suggested above). BUT....when I was there, I asked for an X, and they had one. So I could take it home and see if it fit in my garage. Unfortunately for me, it did : )

Nice. I am such an idiot, no chance I'll get one at 11am. I'll have to remember that for my 1st annual service.

I'm usually the creepy guy who hangs out at the service center and waits for one to be returned... must have spent an hour playing with the showroom MX :)
Other than that, first appointment of the day has worked out pretty well too.

Reactions: viper2ko
They will most always offer a Tesla loaner if one is available. Otherwise they need to pay for a rental from Enterprise.
They can schedule a Tesla for you, but sometimes something comes up and it is not available.
You kinda take your chances.

I was just asked if I needed a courtesy vehicle, which I will since I live 2 hours away. I asked if I could get a Tesla, but he said they can never guarantee one even if I offered to book a date farther out.

Make sure Enterprise doesn't have any rentals available.

I had my S in for warranty work and the Tesla Advisor walked me over to Enterprise after telling me they didn't have any Tesla loaners. As soon as the Advisor opened the door, the busy Enterprise rep looked up at him said "out of rentals." So we walked back to the service center and magically there was an P85D loaner available.

Make sure Enterprise doesn't have any rentals available.

I had my S in for warranty work and the Tesla Advisor walked me over to Enterprise after telling me they didn't have any Tesla loaners. As soon as the Advisor opened the door, the busy Enterprise rep looked up at him said "out of rentals." So we walked back to the service center and magically there was an P85D loaner available.

Very sketchy of your service center. This type of behavior concerns me

Number one is to be a nice person and ask them when you can bring your car in when a loaner will be available. To go a little deeper (if necessary) that you are willing to take an S or an X but suggest the opposite of what you have, because you may not be able to help but to be swayed into purchasing the different model, after trying it out. The problem with this though, you may actually want, and end purchasing, one like the loaner...;) I believe that end of the day (getting a loaner) can also work too.

Last edited:
11 months ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

CEO Elon Musk added that Tesla is also growing its fleet of loaner vehicles. Musk says it should be in place in “a few months”. (By now, we all know what that means.)

"If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S."

Until then, when I need service, I just ask that my SC call me when any Tesla loaner is available.

I imagine that some service centers are more accommodating than others. Mine has been pretty good about setting me up in a Tesla - and I only have a MS60. My SC does not discriminate. Though I have had to settle for a few Enterprise loaners over the course of the past year when waiting for a Tesla loaner was not an option.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Just say no and reschedule until they can produce an AP or non-AP loaner (to match whatever you have).

I refuse to accept an ICE loaner. Period.

I also rarely request a loaner, instead choosing to work remotely from their waiting area if the work does not take multiple days.

By only taking a loaner for those rare occasions of multi-day service requirements, and by making it clear that an ICE is not an option, and yes, by generally arranging first appointments and by rescheduling as necessary, this has worked for 3.5 years now.