Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any traction on Tesla partnered insurance (Aviva)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been getting insurance quotes and not too happy with what i'm finding $$. (*safe driver, but single and renting, so i get screwed on those stats) Cheapest so far is Progressive @ about $220/mo for 100/300 regular coverage.

Electrek had made mention of Tesla partnering with Aviva (a UK based insurance co) which has a Canadian branch but not USA branch. Mentioned in this article: Tesla is building up in-house insurance as Model S tops list of most expensive cars to insure

When you search Tesla's Support page for "insurance" or google "insure my tesla" you'll find this url: Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support but it doesn't lead anywhere (at least not anymore). Screenshot attached.

Already ordered my m3 (getting FSD), just a shame that the insurance rates don't reflect (yet) how seemingly safe the car is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 68
Don't jump to conclusions that the high rate is Tesla Model 3 specific.
I pay exactly the same for my Tesla as I did for my Toyota Prime for equivalent liability coverage;
and $20 more a month for equivalent comp coverage. That matches up well with the higher value car.

I don't have a collision coverage comparison but the current tax credits make it an easy choice to carry a high deductible. I have a $5k deductible and very reasonable rates. My total cost for the car is ~ $600 a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Gouldness
It only comes into play if the car is totaled; but that is my main concern, particularly with the Tesla. If I have to replace the car then the additional round of tax credits easily pays for the deductible.
Ah, I see. So with the tax credits going away do you plan on increasing your coverage?

I'm currently shopping around for the best rates and trying to understand all of my options.

@Runt8,
I should probably point out that I do not buy insurance for the same reasons many others do.
I buy high liability to avoid becoming lawyer bait, and I insure to diffuse risk of expensive but uncommon occurrences.

I self-insure the rest since I have the financial reserves and estimate (hah!) my accident risk as well below average based on my driving habits and lifestyle (no alcohol, speeding, phone use, etc). Actually, the insurance I most value (other that keeping lawyers away with high coverages) is the uninsured policy due to the epidemic of drunk driving where I live and the large fraction of uninsured drivers on the Indian reservations. Thankfully that is inexpensive.

Lastly, I try to reduce my risk of accident by keeping the car in peak condition and using top safety tyres for the different seasons. This is particularly important in Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gouldness