Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any trick to knowing what options are on a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only obvious one I know of is the old tech package cars have a silver diffuser on the back, and silver trim around the front parking lights. Non tech have black. The newer cars I believe the same trim pieces denote the premium interior package now, which still means cars with power liftgate.

You can tell if it has AP hardware by the extra sensors in the front and rear bumper covers, near the wheel wells; but of course you still can't tell if AP is enabled without getting in the car.

The only obvious one I know of is the old tech package cars have a silver diffuser on the back, and silver trim around the front parking lights. Non tech have black. The newer cars I believe the same trim pieces denote the premium interior package now, which still means cars with power liftgate.

You can tell if it has AP hardware by the extra sensors in the front and rear bumper covers, near the wheel wells; but of course you still can't tell if AP is enabled without getting in the car.
Appreciate it, what year is new and what year is old in reference to your answers?

Head to Tesla Model S Options Decoder, there you can paste the URL of the image of the CPO car entry you are interested in and it will list you all options it has. Pretty handy link.

Another useful one is ev-cpo.com to track all CPO cars available.

If you do decide to buy a tesla (new or cpo) use the referral link Referral | Tesla and save yourself $1,000.
I was referring more to the regular used car market not from Tesla direct, any link for that?

Probably you can generate the tesla vehicle link through the Vin. If you can find the VIN that is. I am not sure though. Try calling tesla and ask them? Or you can ask the seller to share you the original email with the vehicle specs?

Unfortunately you can't reverse generate all the options from the VIN unless you have access to the current owner's MyTesla page to grab the car image, and even then the Options decoder only displays those options which change the outward appearance of the car. (in order to render the proper image for the page). it's not going to show hidden options like Cold Weather or Upgraded sound.

If it's not a Tesla CPO or Inventory car (where you can get all the options on EV-CPO.com), the only way to get all the options is to get the original window sticker, or just do a visual inspection for all the possible options like cold weather (heated REAR seats), upgraded sound (look for the subwoofer), air suspension (look at the console for those settings), etc.

it does show all interior features as well. Try with any inventory cars available.

Yes, on the Inventory or CPO site, yes, the images embed all the options, but if you're on that page anyway, all the options are clearly listed below the images so no need to use the Option decoder. The Option Decoder says to take the image link from the MYTESLA page which does not embed all those options.

The Option Decoder says to take the image link from the MYTESLA page which does not embed all those options.
I have had success copying the image link from the inventory page as well, didn't have to go to mytesla page.

What I like is the detail that options decoder provides with option codes and better wording. Agreed you get most of the details on the original link but if you are detail oriented it helps.

I have had success copying the image link from the inventory page as well, didn't have to go to mytesla page.

We're talking about three mutually exclusive things here:

1-- If you don't own a car yet, AND it is on Tesla's CPO or Inventory pages, then yes, you can get the full list of options using that image link.
2-- If you DO own a car (and you bought it from the CPO/Inventory page), that image is no longer available to grab the options link, so your only option at that point is to use the image on the "My Tesla" page, which does not give you the same level of detail (you can't have both images/links at the same time)
3-- If you do not own a car, and the car you are evaluating at is NOT on the Tesla CPO/Inventory page (a third party sale), then you're out of luck getting the entire options list unless you have the original window sticker or confirmation email from the seller. You can not decode the full options list from the VIN, either.

If you're looking for the options list for cars that were previously list on the Tesla Inventory/CPO list at some point, the history and full options lists are available at https://EV-CPO.com for a small subscription.

Appreciate it, what year is new and what year is old in reference to your answers?
First I'd like to point out that non-tech cars are rather rare, the vast majority of orders included it. I did not get it so I have a pretty good idea what's missing.
According to the wiki found at Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki the original tech package was discontinued April of 2015, and many of the features became standard: driver profiles, navigation, folding mirrors, electrochromatic mirrors, home-link (garage door openers), keyless entry - maybe more.

If you're only looking at pictures, you'll only be able to verify the most obvious options. Panoramic sunroof, wheel size, color; Tech Package if you look for the silver trim, but note the manufacture date. Also there were many other minor changes to options and standard accessories.

However if you're actually at the car, some of the options can be determined at the main screen. At the bottom left of the screen, call up the "Controls" screen. In those menus and tabs you'll find controls for some of the options like rear seat heaters (subzero package). If there is a Suspension tab it has air suspension, otherwise coil. There was a time Fog Lights were they're own option, you can find them on the controls screen with the headlight controls. Also there was a period when parking sensors were they're own option, look for the buttons on the front and rear bumper covers. You can tell if it has the upgraded sound by certain features in the media screen, but it may be easier to just look for the subwoofer which takes up the space to the right of the trunk well.
I would hope nobody would be so sneaky as to change the label on the back of the car (say from 60 to 85), but press the Tesla "T" logo at the top center and you'll see what the actual model is as well as the odometer reading and firmware revision.
At the top of the screen you should see the connectivity icon, similar to a phone. Mine says 3G next to it, others will say LTE which is now standard. Models newer than mine are eligible for $500 upgrade from 3G to LTE.
When my car was built, apparently the ambient lights were standard because I have them; but later they were a $1000 option until the premium upgrade package came along. There are some LED lights in the foot wells and the doors' interior. The door lights are on when headlights are on. (Maybe parking lights too.) They dim along with the screen.
Rear facing child seats are obvious, they're there or not. They are not supposed to be removable if they were installed. They may be folded into the trunk well.
As I stated above, the power liftgate was part of the original Tech Package and is now part of the Premium Upgrade Package. The same goes for the lighted exterior door handles.

There were several different seat options: Textile (std), leather, and Next Gen leather (with bigger side bolsters and higher headrests). The original leather seats have been discontinued. In the oldest cars (2012, maybe into early 2013), only leather had front seat heaters, and the textile were 8-way adjustable instead of 12-way. Since then all cars have 12-way adjustable front seats with heaters.

You may not be able to tell if it has dual chargers (now a charger upgrade) without seeing it charge on a connector higher than 40A (typically a HPWC). If the charge screen shows ##/80 then it has the dual chargers, ##/72 is the newer upgraded single charger. If it shows 40, that's the single charger; but I think it'll only show 40 on that screen if it's plugged into the UMC (Universal Mobile Charger).

If you're looking at a used Model S, make sure it comes with the UMC (cable with a box near one end), a NEMA 14-50 (big stove plug) adapter, the NEMA 5-15 (standard plug) adapter, and a J1772 adapter (for public charging stations). Early on there used to be an option that the purchaser could choose an adapter other than the NEMA 14-50, but that was the standard adapter supplied.

Well that's about all the options I can think of and how to find them.

Bumping this to see if there are any other options now. I've seen a dozen similar threads, but they're also old and I find it hard to believe no one has found a way to get a list of basic options on Teslas being sold via third parties without visual inspection.

For context, I'm in the process of buying an MS from Carvana that I can't see in person. There have been lengthy delays and I just want to confirm the car's options -- AP activated? Air suspension? -- so I can determine if it's worth the wait while I shop around. Carvana CS reps also haven't seen the car and Tesla won't tell me anything until I take ownership.

Here's what (I think) I know; maybe you smart folks can help me assemble some puzzle pieces to deduce other options:
2015 Model S 70D
Black w/black leather interior; Next Gen seats
Listing says it seats 5-7: Does that mean rear jump seats?
Pano roof
Listing includes XM: Does that mean UHFS? (can't see well into trunk space in pics)
One of the pics shows "LTE" on the MCU, so late-2015 build (I think)
Power liftgate
Visible AP1 hardware, but no indication of software activation (pics don't show Driver Settings, unfortunately)

Are there any other clues to look for that might indicate other options?
Any other suggestions on how to get this info (other than "call Carvana/Tesla")? Maybe you "know a guy"?

TIA

P.S. - If there isn't already a service that can look up any given Tesla's options (factory and aftermarket), there really should be. It would be an invaluable tool.

Unfortunately only Tesla has all that data, and they're certainly not releasing it.

How would any such hypothetical tool pick up aftermarket options?

Yep, for a robust tool, Tesla would need to unlock the vault, so to speak, and that ain't happenin'. But EV-CPO's robust database and crowdsourcing from, say, TMC members who are overly willing to share their car's specs (e.g. P85D+ | Ludicrous | 90kWh | Blue | 21" Grey | Pano | AP1 | Hi-Fi | Carbon Fiber | Front Cam | Appliqué | Flux Capacitor), that would be a pretty solid start.

But back on topic: Someone please help me!

I don't think there is a way to determine if auto pilot is active without physical access to the car.

From what I've read, XM only comes with the hifi upgrade, and required the sunroof for the XM antenna.

"Seats 5-7" is probably the generic phrase meaning it seats 7 with the rear seats, 5 without the option; so my interpretation is the seller doesn't know or isn't revealing.

Reactions: pinke2323